Hi All,

        After installing reformime and tnef on my machine which runs qmail,
I was able to configure amavis-0.2.1 with the NAI anti-virus engine 4.1.20
from Network Associates, but in reading the qmail.README, and viewing
the output from ./configure --enable-qmail (listed below)

checking if any virusscanners have been installed at all... yes
checking if tar removes leading / from archive... yes
checking event logging... yes
checking whether to use syslog... no
checking directory for logfile(s)... /var/log
checking whether to keep a backup of infected mails... yes
checking directory to move infected mails to... /var/virusmails
checking maximum depth of recursive unpacking (maxlevel)... 20
send virus reports to admin... yes
checking checking user to mail reports to... virusalert
checking send notification to sender... yes
checking send notification to receiver... no
checking from address in reports... postmaster
checking header rewrite... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating src/Makefile
creating src/zipsecure/Makefile
creating src/securetar/Makefile
creating src/rspawnmsg/Makefile
creating src/scanmails/Makefile
creating src/scanmails/checkaccount
creating src/scanmails/scanmails
creating config.h
* AMaViS 0.2.1 has successfully been configured
* and will install using following pathnames:
*
* -> zipsecure : /usr/bin/zipsecure
* -> securetar : /usr/bin/securetar
* -> scanmails : /usr/sbin/scanmails
* -> rspawnmsg : /usr/sbin/rspawnmsg
*
* AMaViS is configured for use with qmail
*

To accept the above, type "make"

Now, is the /var/log correct in this case, since all qmail output on my system
gets posted to /var/log/qmail, and these lines have some concern as well:

send virus reports to admin... yes
checking checking user to mail reports to... virusalert

now, I don't have a user virusalert, so should I make a(n) alias for it?

the final thing is from README.qmail:

If you're trying to use AMaViS with qmail, you need to install qmail as usual,
then in /var/qmail/bin rename qmail-local to qmail-local-real and
qmail-remote to qmail-remote-real. Then make symbolic links from qmail-local
and qmail-remote to /usr/sbin/scanmails.

If I do the above after issuing make, will this cause qmail to break at all?

Sorry for the long post, but my mail system has been working for quite a while
and I don't want to chance breaking it.

-Bill