qmail Digest 14 Feb 2001 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1275

Topics (messages 57111 through 57193):

Re: client is blocking my mail server...
        57111 by: Daniellek

Is there a good IDE for GNU C/C++?
        57112 by: Harsha P. R
        57121 by: Edward S. Marshall

Empty Sender
        57113 by: J.J.Gallardo
        57119 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen

Re: How to get them out of Maildr?
        57114 by: INSOMNIA - Janusz Oles
        57115 by: Robert Sander
        57116 by: Robin S. Socha
        57120 by: INSOMNIA - Janusz Oles
        57122 by: INSOMNIA - Janusz Oles

Re: qmail-ldap and courier-imap & authentication ?
        57117 by: Henning Brauer

Re: Suggestions please
        57118 by: Henning Brauer

INSTALL.ids & OpenBSD 2.8
        57123 by: Rick Updegrove
        57124 by: Henning Brauer
        57125 by: Martin Akesson
        57127 by: Fredrik Steen

Accept mail for hostmaster@.*
        57126 by: Fredrik Steen
        57128 by: Peter van Dijk
        57132 by: Fredrik Steen
        57133 by: Martin Akesson
        57136 by: Peter van Dijk
        57139 by: Greg White
        57140 by: Fredrik Steen
        57141 by: Peter van Dijk
        57142 by: Johan Almqvist

Re: unable to establish an SMTP connection
        57129 by: Charles Cazabon
        57169 by: Tom Hoover

Re: Migrating from EIMS, and the percent hack
        57130 by: Charles Cazabon

rblsmtpd...
        57131 by: Jean Caron

amavis w/qmail
        57134 by: Bill Parker

Re: Strange qmail-smtpd hang with sympatico.ca clients
        57135 by: cmh.orange-carb.org

Re: Compile error Courier-imap
        57137 by: Kris Kelley

Tcpserver + POP3 -- logging
        57138 by: Pawel Garbowski

Amavis-0.2.1 and qmail (almost)
        57143 by: Bill Parker

how to install pop3d on redhat7?
        57144 by: INSOMNIA - Janusz Oles

Missing sendmail's aliases in fastforward?
        57145 by: Leander Berwers
        57187 by: Frank Tegtmeyer
        57188 by: Leander Berwers
        57189 by: Frank Tegtmeyer
        57190 by: Peter van Dijk
        57193 by: Frank Tegtmeyer

Re: (Reply ) To Dan Egli (Copy because of system error yesterday)
        57146 by: Rembrandt Lensink
        57147 by: Peter van Dijk
        57149 by: Ricardo Cerqueira

Importing Emails into ezmlm-idx
        57148 by: Jeremy Suo-Anttila
        57150 by: Charles Cazabon

SMTP routing based on From: address?
        57151 by: Grant Edwards
        57152 by: Andy Bradford
        57154 by: Adam McKenna
        57157 by: Charles Cazabon
        57158 by: Grant Edwards
        57164 by: Grant Edwards

avoiding multi-rcpt duplicates with fetchmail-like system
        57153 by: Chris Hardie
        57156 by: Peter van Dijk
        57160 by: Charles Cazabon
        57162 by: Chris Hardie
        57163 by: Peter van Dijk

Has anyone used qmail with xfs on Linux 2.4?
        57155 by: Sid Wilroy
        57159 by: Peter van Dijk
        57161 by: Charles Cazabon
        57192 by: Van Liedekerke Franky

[OT?] svscan restart - how???
        57165 by: SNFettig Listserv
        57170 by: Davi
        57176 by: richard.illuin.org

How do I make qmail act like "mail"? (fwd)
        57166 by: Billy Hutton
        57167 by: Billy Hutton

Re: vpopmail
        57168 by: Keary Suska
        57179 by: Kari Suomela

Re: [AMaViS-user] amavis w/qmail
        57171 by: Rainer Link

Re: [AMaViS-user] Amavis-0.2.1 and qmail (almost)
        57172 by: Rainer Link

aliasing to a command
        57173 by: Medi Montaseri
        57174 by: Greg White
        57175 by: Medi Montaseri

qq_temporary_problem with QMAILQUEUE patch
        57177 by: Brett Randall

qmail+mysql not looking up for users in the database
        57178 by: Nikolai Vladychevski

error in qmail logs
        57180 by: Jason Radford
        57181 by: Brett Randall
        57183 by: Jason Radford

Re: WARNING
        57182 by: George Patterson

Load Balancing with qmail
        57184 by: Andrew Wafula
        57185 by: Martin Akesson
        57186 by: tc lewis

bug in qmail-pop3d
        57191 by: Peter van Dijk

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

W dniu Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:54:38PM -0500, Dave Sill wystukał(a):
>>I had concurrencyremote set to 40, but with this setting it blocked my queue
>>for several hours! (some of receipments are very far from me), so i switched
>>to 120 and it's better because queue is blocked for 30 minutes at most, but
>>i takes all my bandwith...
>>
>>I'm searching for some solution which could make "private queue" for this
>>client...

He injects through SMTP...

>If he injects them via SMTP, it's a bit trickier. You could run
>/var/qmail2/bin/qmail-smtpd on a non-standard port, e.g., 2500, and
>tell him to configure his mail client to use port 2500.
>
>You could also configure your main tcpserver to listen to port 25 on
>the existing IP address (and 127.0.0.1) and set up another tcpserver
>on an aliased IP address dedicated to that client. Then you'd have to
>tell him to configure his mailer to that IP alias.

Ok, this solution would work but isn't best... I't would block all my client
traffic (even short - one recipient letters).

Following this thread - is there possibility to check before sending mail to
queue if it has more than (for example) 50 recipient it wolud be forwarded to
this second qmail-queue. This would be ideal solution...

There's tarpit patch which checks if there are no more recipients that number
from control/tarpitcount file. Maybe it is possible to alter this patch to
suit my needs... I mean without rewriting whole qmail :)

--
Daniel Fenert            --==> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <==--
==-P o w e r e d--b y--S l a c k w a r e-=-ICQ #37739641-==

Hi,

Is there a good IDE for C/C++ development so that we can debug /trace/ step
thru C code on Linux similar to the IDEs we have on Windows?

The gdb debugger is quite laborious. I tried VIDE from

http://www.objectcentral.com/

But VIDE hangs very frequently

Regards,
Harsha

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:03:35PM +0530, Harsha P. R wrote:
> Is there a good IDE for C/C++ development so that we can debug /trace/ step
> thru C code on Linux similar to the IDEs we have on Windows?

You might want to take a look at Source Navigator and Insight (a source
browser/IDE and a GUI frontend to gdb):

        http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/
        http://sources.redhat.com/insight/

Commercially, they're packaged as part of the "GNU Pro" toolkit from Red
Hat (formerly Cygnus), if you're needing formal support. You should be
able to find something about it at http://www.redhat.com/ .

--
Edward S. Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                http://www.nyx.net/~emarshal/
[                  Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.                  ]

Hi list:

I have this problem: one server running sendmail receives mail to a
user. The account isn't local so sendmail try to inject to the
destination MX host. The destination says "user unknown".

That's the log from sendmail:
Feb 12 19:40:51 cocoliso sendmail[19265]: f1CIeni19265:
from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, size=1869, class=0
, nrcpts=1, msgid=<B0000372874@>, bodytype=8BITMIME, proto=ESMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=www.toothfairysite.com [209.79.190.120] (may be
forged)
Feb 12 19:40:51 cocoliso sendmail[19267]: f1CIeni19265:
to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp,
pri=31869, relay=smtp.dominio.es. [194.150.0.1], dsn=5.1.1, stat=User
unknown
Feb 12 19:40:51 cocoliso sendmail[19267]: f1CIeni19265: f1CIepi19267:
DSN: User unknown
Feb 12 19:40:51 cocoliso sendmail[19267]: f1CIepi19267:
to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, delay=00:00:00, xdel
ay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=31969, relay=smtp.qmailmaq.es.
[194.150.2.19], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
(ok 982003252 qp 31773)

Sendmail is configured to send all e-mail that isn't it local or
corporative (with mailertables or the equivalent with qmail smtproutes),
so send the e-mail to my qmail machine.

My qmail machine try to send the email to the sender and this is the
log:
Feb 12 19:40:52 donald qmail: 982003252.507259 new msg 228949
Feb 12 19:40:52 donald qmail: 982003252.507491 info msg 228949: bytes
3972 from <> qp 31773 uid 209
Feb 12 19:40:52 donald qmail: 982003252.508761 status: local 0/10 remote
1/20
Feb 12 19:47:33 donald qmail: 982003653.326034 starting delivery 305:
msg 228949 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Feb 12 19:48:08 donald qmail: 982003688.907006 delivery 305: failure:
Connected_to_202.108.44.214_but_sender_was_rejected./Remote_host_said:_550_<>:_Invalid_User/

Why there is a field ""from <>"" empty here? Is my qmail machine sending
emails with this field empty?
Any ideas?

+ "J.J.Gallardo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

|Connected_to_202.108.44.214_but_sender_was_rejected./Remote_host_said:_550_<>:_Invalid_User/
|
| Why there is a field ""from <>"" empty here? Is my qmail machine
| sending emails with this field empty?

That's an envelope sender <>, not something in a header field.  The
empty envelope sender <> is reserved for bounce messages, and all
Internet hosts accepting mail are required to accept it.

Thus 202.108.44.214 is misconfigured.  Unfortunately this is becoming
a common misconfiguration, as people are willing to do almost anything
to limit spam.  But it's a misconfiguration anyhow.

(I didn't read your whole message carefully, so my answer is most
likely incomplete.  But it's a beginning.)

- Harald

Ari Arantes Filho [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> The mail program looks for message in /var/spool/mail/USERNAME and qmail
> works with Maildir.
> In qmail.org site there is link to a patched version of pine, so
> I can read messages from maildir.

Yes. but I don't use pine (if there'll be no other solution I will).
I need different way out then pine, I would like to be able to check
mail (let's say form Outlook, which is installed on other computer
running WindowsMe).
/Janusz Oles

On 13 Feb 2001 12:59:43 +0100,
 INSOMNIA - Janusz Oles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yes. but I don't use pine (if there'll be no other solution I will).
>I need different way out then pine, I would like to be able to check
>mail (let's say form Outlook, which is installed on other computer
>running WindowsMe).

Then You have to setup an IMAP-Server, look for courier-imap

Greetings
--
Robert Sander
Computer Scientist                                       Epigenomics AG

* INSOMNIA - Janusz Oles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010213 06:58]:
> Ari Arantes Filho [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> > The mail program looks for message in /var/spool/mail/USERNAME and
> > qmail works with Maildir.  In qmail.org site there is link to a
> > patched version of pine, so I can read messages from maildir.
>
> I need different way out then pine, I would like to be able to check
> mail (let's say form Outlook, which is installed on other computer
> running WindowsMe).

Then you should set up a mailserver on that machine. qmail-pop3d is
maildir-aware as is, e.g., Courier IMAP which I highly recommend.

You should read (actually, you should have read already) Dave Sill's
excellent LWQ, in particular:
http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#advanced-topics

All the information you need is there. But if you intend to use
Outofluck, brought to you buy the morons who have rape^Wviolated every
RFC known to the civilized rest of mankind, be prepared to have your
faith tested. Like, really.

Robert Sander [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Then You have to setup an IMAP-Server, look for courier-imap

Thanx, for advice,
I will, can you tell me where can I get a courier-imap tar boll
from and which one is right for redhat7.
/Janusz Oles

Robin S. Socha [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Subject: Re: How to get them out of Maildr?

> Then you should set up a mailserver on that machine. qmail-pop3d is
> maildir-aware as is, e.g., Courier IMAP which I highly recommend.
>
> You should read (actually, you should have read already) Dave Sill's
> excellent LWQ, in particular:
> http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#advanced-topics

Yes, I have read LWQ one more time, there is something mentioned about it:
-----------
        To use tcpserver, add the following to your qmail startup script (not
inetd.conf):

[ by the way, there is no inetd.conf in redhat7 instlation - looks like LWQ
need a facelift :)]

                tcpserver -v -R 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup FQDN \
                /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 | \
                /var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &

where pop3 is the name of the POP3 service listed in /etc/services and FQDN
is the fully qualified domain name of the POP server you're setting up,
e.g., pop.example.net.
-----------
And like I sad I'm new to Linux and this question could sound stupid to you
and some others on this list
but is exactly the same like my first one.
What is my qmail startup scrip???
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmial) what file should I edit?
tcpserver is installed and running.
/Janusz

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:45:20AM +1100, dennis wrote:
> Hi all..
> Can anyone suggest an authentication scheme for courier-imap when using
> qmail-ldap ?
> How should I compile authentication into ciourier if qmail-ldap is going to
> handle authentication via ldap ?

You are on the wrong list, courier imap has its own list. qmail-ldap has its
own list too, but this isn't the right one too ;-))

Either use courier-imap's authdeamon against ldap (documented in README or
so) or start it like qpop3d under tcpserver, s/t like

tcpserver auth_imap imapd Maildir

Of couse you need to add pathes and options.
This isn't documented anywhere yet.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:57:53PM +1100, dennis wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I was hoping to ask for assistance with a "very simple" plan of attack on
> setting up my new qmail server.
>
> My requirements.
>
> qmail
> qmail-ldap (authentication)
> courier-imap
> courier-pop3
> sqwebmail
[...]
> Am I making any sense ?

Aehm, not really ;-))

check http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

Hello,
I am just curious will this work on OpenBSD 2.8?
or will I have to add them with my editor.
<from INSTALL.ids>

FreeBSD 2.2:

# pw groupadd nofiles

# pw useradd alias -g nofiles -d /var/qmail/alias -s /nonexistent

# pw useradd qmaild -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent

# pw useradd qmaill -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent

# pw useradd qmailp -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent

# pw groupadd qmail

# pw useradd qmailq -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent

# pw useradd qmailr -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent

# pw useradd qmails -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent

Thanks in advance,

Rick Up

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:43:03AM -0800, Rick Updegrove wrote:
> Hello,
> I am just curious will this work on OpenBSD 2.8?
> or will I have to add them with my editor.
> <from INSTALL.ids>

The commands mentioned in the linux section are working for OpenBSD.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:43:03AM -0800, Rick Updegrove mumbled:
> Hello,
> I am just curious will this work on OpenBSD 2.8?
> or will I have to add them with my editor.
> <from INSTALL.ids>

Yes,  they will work.  However you must change the shell from
'/nonexistent' to '/sbin/nologin'

I'm unsure if you can specify the username and groupname before the
options though.  The manpage specifies to put them at the end.

/martin

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:43:03AM -0800, Rick Updegrove wrote:
| Hello,
| I am just curious will this work on OpenBSD 2.8?
| or will I have to add them with my editor.
| <from INSTALL.ids>
|
| FreeBSD 2.2:
|
| # pw groupadd nofiles
|
| # pw useradd alias -g nofiles -d /var/qmail/alias -s /nonexistent
|
| # pw useradd qmaild -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
|
| # pw useradd qmaill -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
|
| # pw useradd qmailp -g nofiles -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
|
| # pw groupadd qmail
|
| # pw useradd qmailq -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
|
| # pw useradd qmailr -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
|
| # pw useradd qmails -g qmail -d /var/qmail -s /nonexistent
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Rick Up

You could use the /usr/ports/mail/qmail to install qmail...

--
.Fredrik Steen
- http://www.stone.nu -

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a Qmail server. I need it to accept mail for
hostmaster@.* without any configuration for new hosts.
Example:
I configure the DNS to answer querys for domain test.com.
I put up mx records for test.com to point to the qmailserver.
I send a mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I want it to get accepted not
bounced or something just accepted.

Is this possible?

--
.Fredrik Steen
- http://www.stone.nu -

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:08:52PM +0100, Fredrik Steen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup a Qmail server. I need it to accept mail for
> hostmaster@.* without any configuration for new hosts.
> Example:
> I configure the DNS to answer querys for domain test.com.
> I put up mx records for test.com to point to the qmailserver.
> I send a mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I want it to get accepted not
> bounced or something just accepted.
>
> Is this possible?

It is ridiculous. What keeps you from updating configfiles on the
mailserver?

Greetz, Peter.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:15:27PM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
| On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:08:52PM +0100, Fredrik Steen wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > I'm trying to setup a Qmail server. I need it to accept mail for
| > hostmaster@.* without any configuration for new hosts.
| > Example:
| > I configure the DNS to answer querys for domain test.com.
| > I put up mx records for test.com to point to the qmailserver.
| > I send a mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I want it to get accepted not
| > bounced or something just accepted.
| >
| > Is this possible?
|
| It is ridiculous. What keeps you from updating configfiles on the
| mailserver?
|
| Greetz, Peter.

Some nic's want to check that a site is configured for the domain you
want to buy. For example. We want to reg test.xx we type in
all the information about the company wanting to reg this domain dns
servers etc.. Then they check that your dns servers are okay that is
no problemo and then they check if there is a [EMAIL PROTECTED]
problemo. We change the [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the test.xx zone
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so there will always be a hostmaster address.
The nic's dns/mx/mail.. checking program doesen't check the test.xx
zones soa at our servers.

blurb... I hope you understand my messy mail..

--
.Fredrik Steen
- http://www.stone.nu -

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:44:20PM +0100, Fredrik Steen mumbled:

> | > I'm trying to setup a Qmail server. I need it to accept mail for
> | > hostmaster@.* without any configuration for new hosts.

Umm..  I think you are making it harder than what it really is.  If the
qmail server is setup to as MX and is ready to receive mail all you need
to do is add yourdomain.com to /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts.  Dont
forget to restart qmail.

That will tell qmail to start receiving mail for your new domain.  If
you already have a .qmail-hostmaster file in /var/qmail/aliases then
your are ready to receive.

/M

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 04:02:47PM +0100, Martin Akesson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:44:20PM +0100, Fredrik Steen mumbled:

> Umm..  I think you are making it harder than what it really is.  If the
> qmail server is setup to as MX and is ready to receive mail all you need
> to do is add yourdomain.com to /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts.  Dont
> forget to restart qmail.

And /var/qmail/control/locals.

Greetz, Peter.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 04:02:47PM +0100, Martin Akesson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:44:20PM +0100, Fredrik Steen mumbled:

> Umm..  I think you are making it harder than what it really is.  If the
> qmail server is setup to as MX and is ready to receive mail all you need
> to do is add yourdomain.com to /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts.  Dont
> forget to restart qmail.

Don't just add it to rcpthosts without adding it to locals, or forcing
an smtproute for the domain in question, or you'll get:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or a for that host,
it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local
(#5.4.6).

P.S., it's unnecessary to restart qmail just to reread control/locals
and control/rcpthosts. SIGHUP does this for you, without a restart.

--
Greg White
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 04:02:47PM +0100, Martin Akesson wrote:
| On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:44:20PM +0100, Fredrik Steen mumbled:

| Umm..  I think you are making it harder than what it really is.  If the
| qmail server is setup to as MX and is ready to receive mail all you need
| to do is add yourdomain.com to /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts.  Dont
| forget to restart qmail.
|
| That will tell qmail to start receiving mail for your new domain.  If
| you already have a .qmail-hostmaster file in /var/qmail/aliases then
| your are ready to receive.
|
| /M

I need to do this because of the extra administration to add and to delete
domains that don't get approved at the nic. The people registrating
domains don't know that mush :). I have a "daemon" that manager
these files but they never get deleted and the files get really
huge becase of so many tries on a domainnames that don't go thru the
registration process..

--
.Fredrik Steen
- http://www.stone.nu -

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 06:49:16PM +0100, Fredrik Steen wrote:
[snip]

> I need to do this because of the extra administration to add and to delete
> domains that don't get approved at the nic. The people registrating
> domains don't know that mush :). I have a "daemon" that manager
> these files but they never get deleted and the files get really
> huge becase of so many tries on a domainnames that don't go thru the
> registration process..

Then do a cleanup every once in a while. End of problem.

Greetz, Peter.

* Fredrik Steen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010213 15:08]:
> I'm trying to setup a Qmail server. I need it to accept mail for
> hostmaster@.* without any configuration for new hosts.
> Example:
> Is this possible?

Besides all the other notes that have been posted, you realize that this
means you'll never be able to send mail to hostmasters around the world?

If that's really what you want to do, patch qmail-smtpd to lie about the
RCPT TO it read, or patch qmail-send to handle hostmaster@ differently.

This may be one of the occasion where the obscurness of the task requires
the obscureness of sendmail.cf

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

Tom Hoover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The problem is this...every few days, ariel cannot connect to ezekiel.
[...]
> So, whatever is happening is a problem on ariel, which prevents it from
> _connecting_ to the SMTP port on ezekiel (neither qmail nor telnet can
> connect).  Whatever it is will eventually "cure" itself, but then will occur
> again a day or two later.  A reboot "cures" the problem immediately.

Is it possible your routing table gets screwed up somehow?  Try doing a
tcpdump on the link between the two machines, and see if any packets make it
out at all.  Can you even ping ezekiel from ariel when the problem is
happening?  Maybe ariel has a flaky network card or driver.  Check the syslog
of ariel for odd messages.

Charles

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 08:27:52AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Tom Hoover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > The problem is this...every few days, ariel cannot connect to ezekiel.
> [...]
> > So, whatever is happening is a problem on ariel, which prevents it from
> > _connecting_ to the SMTP port on ezekiel (neither qmail nor telnet can
> > connect).  Whatever it is will eventually "cure" itself, but then will occur
> > again a day or two later.  A reboot "cures" the problem immediately.
>
> Is it possible your routing table gets screwed up somehow?

I'll check that next time it happens.  I think that I've checked it before, but
I've tried so much stuff that I can't be sure.

> Try doing a tcpdump on the link between the two machines, and see if any
> packets make it out at all.

I will.

> Can you even ping ezekiel from ariel when the problem is happening?  Maybe
> ariel has a flaky network card or driver.  Check the syslog of ariel for odd
> messages.

Yes, ping works fine.  When the "problem" occurs, I can still access the
Internet from ezekiel thru ariel (using MASQ) without any problems.  Funny you
should mention syslogd...I changed my setup a couple of weeks ago so that ariel
logs directly to syslogd on ezekiel.  Logging continues to work fine when the
"problem" occurs, with no unusual syslog messages (ditto before I set ariel to
log to ezekiel).

Everything else seems to work normally anytime the "problem" occurs...ariel
just won't talk to ezekiel's SMTP port (BTW ezekiel will continue to talk to
ariel's SMTP port though).

I'll try the tcpdump thing next time that it happens.  If you can think of
anything else that I should try when it happens, please let me know.

--
Tom Hoover N5NTM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://www.hisword.net/tom
    - checkout HisWord(tm) Palmtop Bible at the above URL -

Jesse Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The first big issue that is on my mind is the "percent hack" for
> virtual domains. EIMS implements virtual domains for pop3 in an
> interesting manner... a user who's email address is, say,
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" will have to enter the following as his username in
> his email client: "peter%no.domain"

This isn't what is referred to as the percenthack for qmail -- that controls
outbound relaying, in the form of [EMAIL PROTECTED]%relayhost.relaydomain.

> Is there any support for this with qpopper, or any other pop3 server
> that works with qmail???

Yes, qmail's native qmail-pop3d will do this with an apprpriate checkpassword
replacement.  See vmailmgr (www.vmailmgr.org) for a popular one.  It
provides a lot of extra functionality as well.

Charles

Hey,

I've recently started using rblsmtpd with /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb listing the
IPs I don't care to receive mail from. Seems to work ok (I don't receive
nearly as much spam as I use to).

There's something I still can't find however. Does rblsmtpd leave a trace
anywhere of the mail it rejects ?

In the doc, there's a line which says; "Meanwhile it prints one line on
descriptor 2 to log its activity."

Ok. Now this is where I start sounding stupid... do I need to redirect
descriptor 2 to a file ? If so, where do I define this ?

Jean

Hi All,

        I am working on installing amavis for scanning inbound/outbound emails with
NAI's Virus Scan engine.  I have a question, in running the ./configure for
amavis,
it says it needs reformime (which is a part of the maildrop package).  If I
compile
and install maildrop, does it interfere at all with qmail, or is there a
way to only
compile and install the reformime binary from the maildrop package?

-Bill

So, I've heard from several people that sympatico works fine for them.

Is there any other obvious explanation why a remote end would hang
after sending the DATA command and getting a 354 answer back?

Is there a way to force qmail to not accept an EHLO from a certain
host, requiring them to use HELO?

Thanks in advance...
Colin

> I have a running qmail-1.03 system (on FreeBSD) and I'm getting a very
> strange problem receiving mail from users on sympatico.ca
>
> I see a qmail-smtpd process and a qmail-queue process for each
> incoming connection, but these just sit there, not doing anything. I
> presume they're timing out after a really long time.
>
> I used to be running rblsmtpd under tcpserver, and I've taken out both
> and am now running a (known good) configuration under inetd.
>
> Mail receiving works from ALL other domains, but I have never
> successfully received mail from sympatico under my qmail.
>
> Now, at work, the qmail server (which is behind a cisco pix firewall)
> has no trouble with sympatico things, and I'm thinking that the
> difference there is that the pix prevents an EHLO handshake.
>
> I've recorded a session on the problem server with recordio, and here
> is the result:
> 737 > 220 xyzzy.orange-carb.org ESMTP^M
> 737 < EHLO tomts7-srv.bellnexxia.net^M
> 737 > 250-xyzzy.orange-carb.org^M
> 737 > 250-PIPELINING^M
> 737 > 250 8BITMIME^M
> 737 < MAIL FROM:<>^M
> 737 > 250 ok^M
> 737 < RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>^M
> 737 > 250 ok^M
> 737 < DATA^M
> 737 > 354 go ahead^M
>
> After this point, the session does nothing, seemingly forever or for a
> long time. The socket is still open... netstat reports:
> tcp        0      0 xyzzy.smtp            tomts7.bellnexxi.6443 ESTABLISHED
>
> The question is, why doesn't sympatico start sending data? It has the
> go ahead...
>
> Has anyone else out there noticed problems receiving from sympatico?
> That server claims to be running InterMail
> (InterMail vM.4.01.03.00 201-229-121) for receiving anyway... Are
> there problems with InterMail?
>
> Any hints? If you want to test yourself it works even with
> bounces. Just mail to something like [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> see if you get a bounce back.
>
> Colin
>
> --
>              || when we're little kids maybe we need stories
> Colin Henein || to help us go to sleep. but sooner or later we
>              || need stories to help us wake up... -- Utah Phillips

Colin

--

The Afif wrote:
> I have some probelm when I compile courier-imap...

Try the courier mailing list, available for subscription at
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/courier-users.

This is off-topic for qmail.

---Kris Kelley

 Hello,

        There is unix box running qmail with mysql-checkpassword, pop users
 are on one uid and gid. POP3 is initialized like this:

 /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -u 0 -g 0 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup-wrapper

 where qmail-popup-wrapper is:

 echo "POP3 connect from $TCPREMOTEHOST ($TCPREMOTEIP)" |
 /var/qmail/bin/splogger qmail
 exec /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup rage /usr/local/bin/checkpassword
 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

 I'd like to have better logging pop3 activity (beside remotehost and ip
 it will be nice to see 'username' and how many msgs was fetched)

 thanx for any sugestions

 p.

--
pawel garbowski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi All,

        After installing reformime and tnef on my machine which runs qmail,
I was able to configure amavis-0.2.1 with the NAI anti-virus engine 4.1.20
from Network Associates, but in reading the qmail.README, and viewing
the output from ./configure --enable-qmail (listed below)

checking if any virusscanners have been installed at all... yes
checking if tar removes leading / from archive... yes
checking event logging... yes
checking whether to use syslog... no
checking directory for logfile(s)... /var/log
checking whether to keep a backup of infected mails... yes
checking directory to move infected mails to... /var/virusmails
checking maximum depth of recursive unpacking (maxlevel)... 20
send virus reports to admin... yes
checking checking user to mail reports to... virusalert
checking send notification to sender... yes
checking send notification to receiver... no
checking from address in reports... postmaster
checking header rewrite... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating src/Makefile
creating src/zipsecure/Makefile
creating src/securetar/Makefile
creating src/rspawnmsg/Makefile
creating src/scanmails/Makefile
creating src/scanmails/checkaccount
creating src/scanmails/scanmails
creating config.h
* AMaViS 0.2.1 has successfully been configured
* and will install using following pathnames:
*
* -> zipsecure : /usr/bin/zipsecure
* -> securetar : /usr/bin/securetar
* -> scanmails : /usr/sbin/scanmails
* -> rspawnmsg : /usr/sbin/rspawnmsg
*
* AMaViS is configured for use with qmail
*

To accept the above, type "make"

Now, is the /var/log correct in this case, since all qmail output on my system
gets posted to /var/log/qmail, and these lines have some concern as well:

send virus reports to admin... yes
checking checking user to mail reports to... virusalert

now, I don't have a user virusalert, so should I make a(n) alias for it?

the final thing is from README.qmail:

If you're trying to use AMaViS with qmail, you need to install qmail as usual,
then in /var/qmail/bin rename qmail-local to qmail-local-real and
qmail-remote to qmail-remote-real. Then make symbolic links from qmail-local
and qmail-remote to /usr/sbin/scanmails.

If I do the above after issuing make, will this cause qmail to break at all?

Sorry for the long post, but my mail system has been working for quite a while
and I don't want to chance breaking it.

-Bill

Is there anybody out there can help me out?
What should I edit:
how about if I add couple of lines to /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail
did anybod of you installed pop3d on redhat7?
maybe I should do some more editing somewhere else
how about run file in /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/
What should I type in to that run file?
All the installation I have done here was standard step by step
with LWQ but the stuff with pop3d - I just don't get it.

here is my qmail start file. I think it should looks like this
but I haven't try that yet.
#! /bin/sh

PATH=/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
export PATH

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo -n "Starting qmail: svscan"
        cd /var/qmail/supervise
        env - PATH="$PATH" svscan &
        echo $! > /var/run/svscan.pid
        echo "."
    ;;
    stop)
        echo -n "Stopping qmail: svscan"
        kill `cat /var/run/svscan.pid`
        echo -n " qmail"
        svc -dx /var/qmail/supervise/*
        echo -n " logging"
        svc -dx /var/qmail/supervise/*/log
        echo "."
    ;;
    stat)
        cd /var/qmail/supervise
        svstat * */log
    ;;
    doqueue|alrm)
        echo "Sending ALRM signal to qmail-send."
        svc -a /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
    ;;
    queue)
        qmail-qstat
        qmail-qread
    ;;
    reload|hup)
        echo "Sending HUP signal to qmail-send."
        svc -h /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
        echo "Sending HUP signal to qmail-pop3d."
        svc -h /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
    ;;
    pause)
        echo "Pausing qmail-send"
        svc -p /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
        echo "Pausing qmail-smtpd"
        svc -p /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd
        echo "Pausing qmail-pop3d"
        svc -p /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
    ;;
    cont)
        echo "Continuing qmail-send"
        svc -c /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
        echo "Continuing qmail-smtpd"
        svc -c /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd
        echo "Continuing qmail-pop3d"
        svc -c /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
    ;;
    restart)
        echo "Restarting qmail:"
        echo "* Stopping qmail-smtpd."
        svc -d /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd
        echo "* Sending qmail-send SIGTERM and restarting."
        svc -t /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
        echo "* Restarting qmail-smtpd."
        svc -u /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd
        echo "* Sending qmail-pop3d SIGTERM and restarting."
        svc -t /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
    ;;
    cdb)
        tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp
        chmod 644 /etc/tcp.smtp*
        echo "Reloaded /etc/tcp.smtp."
    ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0
{start|stop|restart|doqueue|reload|stat|pause|cont|cdb|queue}"
    exit 1
esac
exit 0
any suggestions?
Janusz Oleś

Hello

In sendmail's /etc/aliases the line

@domain1.name   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

means that mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

However this seems not to work with fastforward. Is this true or am I
missing something?

Regards
Leander

> @domain1.name [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> means that mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You may catch this with a script or if this delivers locally you don't
need to do anything at all.

Regards, Frank

If somebody has already such a script and want to send it to me, please
do so.

My problem is that yesterday I changed from sendmail to qmail, and now
some mail goes wrong. Writing such a script myself takes a lot of time,
because I'm not a real Perl-programmer. I definitely don't want to
switch back to sendmail.

Regards
Leander

Frank Tegtmeyer wrote:

> > @domain1.name [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > means that mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> You may catch this with a script or if this delivers locally you don't
> need to do anything at all.
>
> Regards, Frank

> If somebody has already such a script and want to send it to me, please
> do so.

For example if you want to catch all lightwerk.de accounts you can do the
following:

1. Put into virtualdomains (be sure to remove lightwerk.de from locals):
lightwerk.de:lightwerk.de

2. Create ~alias/.qmail-lightwerk.de-default with the content:

#
#  change from lightwerk.de to lightwerk.com
#
| qmail-inject -f "$SENDER" "$[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Regards, Frank

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:54:56AM +0100, Frank Tegtmeyer wrote:
> > If somebody has already such a script and want to send it to me, please
> > do so.
>
> For example if you want to catch all lightwerk.de accounts you can do the
> following:
>
> 1. Put into virtualdomains (be sure to remove lightwerk.de from locals):
> lightwerk.de:lightwerk.de
>
> 2. Create ~alias/.qmail-lightwerk.de-default with the content:
>
> #
> #  change from lightwerk.de to lightwerk.com
> #
> | qmail-inject -f "$SENDER" "$[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

IEUW!

Never do that. It can create irritating loops.

Do this:

| forward "$[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

> Never do that. It can create irritating loops.
Oops, that's right.

> | forward "$[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Agrre - much better :)

Regards, Frank

Today again 2 visites from "snowhite"

  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

they'll get three copies of the message in the monolithic Mailbox file on
our server (I tested this and they will with default setup).  This is bad
for them because apparently their re-routing software only looks at "To:"
lines and not "Delivered-To:" lines - I don't know if that's standard or
not.

So, the desired solution is to find a way to only deposit *one* copy of
the message in the monolithic Mailbox file, but with headers intact such
that their software can re-deliver the message to all the appropriate
recipients.

I found this script:
  http://www.qmail.org/eliminate-dups
but I'm not sure this is its intended (or possible) use.

I'm hoping someone can say "drop X into a .qmail-default file and you're
off to the races" or, less preferably, "tell your user to get a clue,
because of X" (or the even less preferable "you should get a clue,
period.").

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

-- Chris Hardie -----------------------------
----- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------
-------- http://www.summersault.com/chris/ --

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 04:48:31PM -0500, Chris Hardie wrote:
[snip]
> they'll get three copies of the message in the monolithic Mailbox file on
> our server (I tested this and they will with default setup).  This is bad
> for them because apparently their re-routing software only looks at "To:"
> lines and not "Delivered-To:" lines - I don't know if that's standard or
> not.

Using 'To:' for this purpose is inherently broken. fetchmail can read
Delivered-To headers just fine.

Greetz, Peter.

Chris Hardie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For one of them, the user wants to have all
> the mail sent to any address @domain.com piled into one Mailbox file
> (we're using Mailbox, not Maildir) so they can then download it via POP
> and route it internally at their organization.  Seems pretty standard,
> prepped easily on our side via .qmail-default.
>
> The concern they have is that if a message is
>
>   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> they'll get three copies of the message in the monolithic Mailbox file on
> our server (I tested this and they will with default setup).

That's the way mail works; if there's three recipients, it gets delivered
three times.

> This is bad for them because apparently their re-routing software only looks
> at "To:" lines and not "Delivered-To:" lines - I don't know if that's
> standard or not.

It's broken.  As an aside, getmail will properly look at Delivered-To: for
local recipient addresses.  http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/

> So, the desired solution is to find a way to only deposit *one* copy of
> the message in the monolithic Mailbox file, but with headers intact such
> that their software can re-deliver the message to all the appropriate
> recipients.
>
> I found this script:
>   http://www.qmail.org/eliminate-dups
> but I'm not sure this is its intended (or possible) use.

Yes, this will work.  You invoke it from the .qmail-default file which is
controlling delivery to this virtual domain.  It's the first instruction
in the file, and the Maildir delivery is the second instruction.

Charles

Unfortunately, I know they're not using fetchmail, and I think they may be
using an NT-based solution.

Does this mean we're leaning towards "tell your user to get a clue"? :)

Thanks,
Chris

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:07:48PM -0500, Chris Hardie wrote:

> Unfortunately, I know they're not using fetchmail, and I think they may be
> using an NT-based solution.

I have worked with several of our customers that had their
maildelivery broken when we migrated from sendmail to qmail (adding
Delivered-To headers).

All of them understand that this new header actually finally allows
them to do their mail *reliably*.

All NT mail-solutions I've seen are able to use Delivered-To.

Note: I did an ugly hack to make Delivered-To show the actual virtual
address without the control/virtualdomains prepend.

> Does this mean we're leaning towards "tell your user to get a clue"? :)

Yes.

Greetz, Peter.

We seem to have a bottleneck reading our /var/qmail/queue, so we were
looking at alternatives like:
1) Create a large ram disk and have the queue mounted there ( can't seem
to create a ram disk any larger than 4M) Any ideas on using a ram disk
for the queue? Has anyone been successful in creating a ram disk larger
than 4M? How?
2) XFS from SGI, recompiled a new kernel from SGI. It seems the device
files are totally different. Anyone used xfs on linux for qmail? How
much better performance? The new kernel booted fine but couldn't mount
the filesystems ext2 saying bad master boot record.

begin:vcard
n:Wilroy;Sid
tel;pager:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;fax:408-732-8100
tel;work:408-732-8800 x232
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Sid Wilroy
end:vcard

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:56:38PM -0600, Sid Wilroy wrote:
> We seem to have a bottleneck reading our /var/qmail/queue, so we were
> looking at alternatives like:
> 1) Create a large ram disk and have the queue mounted there ( can't seem
> to create a ram disk any larger than 4M) Any ideas on using a ram disk
> for the queue? Has anyone been successful in creating a ram disk larger
> than 4M? How?

Note that you can easily lose mail if you use a ramdisk for queueing.

Greetz, Peter.

Sid Wilroy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We seem to have a bottleneck reading our /var/qmail/queue, so we were
> looking at alternatives like:
> 1) Create a large ram disk and have the queue mounted there ( can't seem
> to create a ram disk any larger than 4M) Any ideas on using a ram disk
> for the queue? Has anyone been successful in creating a ram disk larger
> than 4M? How?

Not sure about a straight ramdisk, but there are apparently a few places
out there with the mail queue on a solid state disk.  That would buy you
about the same performance.

> 2) XFS from SGI, recompiled a new kernel from SGI. It seems the device
> files are totally different. Anyone used xfs on linux for qmail? How
> much better performance? The new kernel booted fine but couldn't mount
> the filesystems ext2 saying bad master boot record.

XFS is still fairly beta; I wouldn't want to place bets about whether it
makes the guarantees that qmail needs to ensure no mail is lost.

If you're out of queue bandwidth, have you checked the following first?

-/var/qmail/queue is on its own disk
-queue is on a 10kRPM/15kRPM SCSI disk
-/var/log is on a separate disk from /var/qmail/queue

There's a section at www.qmail.org on large servers.  It contains lots of
useful information on this topic.

Charles

try using the 2.4.1 kernel, which has built-in reiserfs support (a good
journaling system) and adapt the small changes to qmail in order to work
reliable under reiserfs, see
http://www.jedi.claranet.fr/qmail-reiserfs-howto.html

Franky

We seem to have a bottleneck reading our /var/qmail/queue, so we were
looking at alternatives like:
1) Create a large ram disk and have the queue mounted there ( can't seem
to create a ram disk any larger than 4M) Any ideas on using a ram disk
for the queue? Has anyone been successful in creating a ram disk larger
than 4M? How?
2) XFS from SGI, recompiled a new kernel from SGI. It seems the device
files are totally different. Anyone used xfs on linux for qmail? How
much better performance? The new kernel booted fine but couldn't mount
the filesystems ext2 saying bad master boot record.

I know this may be off-topic, but since most of the people on this list seem to be
familiar with svscan, I thought I might try.
I use svscan to start all of my qmail daemons and can't figure out how to restart it
safely on my FreeBSD 4.0 sys.  Thus far, I have tried to kill, HUP, etc. for the
service itself, with disastrous results...
What I am trying to do is simply restart all of the qmail daemons.  Perhaps I'm going
about it the wrong way.  pop3d, smtp and the qmail rc scripts are all started with
links to /service.  Startup is going very smoothly, same with shutdown - but no
restart.

Can someone help?

Thanks,
SF

Svscan should not be stopped. It just enter the directories and spawns
supervise processes. Supervise should be used to start/stop services.
You can use the svc command to restart your qmail system.
man svc might help you.

[]s
Davi

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, SNFettig Listserv wrote:

> I know this may be off-topic, but since most of the people on this
> list seem to be familiar with svscan, I thought I might try.  I use
> svscan to start all of my qmail daemons and can't figure out how to
> restart it safely on my FreeBSD 4.0 sys.  Thus far, I have tried to
> kill, HUP, etc. for the service itself, with disastrous results...
> What I am trying to do is simply restart all of the qmail daemons.
> Perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way.  pop3d, smtp and the qmail
> rc scripts are all started with links to /service.  Startup is going
> very smoothly, same with shutdown - but no restart.

don't restart svscan, do something like the following

svc -d /service/qmail-send /service/qmtpd /service/smtpd \
     /service/qmail-send/log /service/qmtpd/log /service/smtpd/log

wait for the processes to die off and then do something like

svc -u /service/qmail-send /service/qmtpd /service/smtpd \
     /service/qmail-send/log /service/qmtpd/log /service/smtpd/log

[I dont run a pop3d, but someone with a clue should be able to figure
out the additional magic]

RjL
You know that. I know that. But when  ||  Austin, Texas
you talk to a monkey you have to      ||  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
grunt and wave your arms          -ck ||

I appologize, but I am not sure if I'm on the list, so can you please
cc: any response to [EMAIL PROTECTED]?  Thanks.  :)

I have been running qmail for quite some time now.  I recently came across
a script that I'd like to use, but it is set up to use the
"mail" program.  I was wondering if there was a wrapper or some other
add-on that makes linux think "mail" is installed, but in fact just
interprets "mail" commands to qmail commands.

Rewriting the code below would also work.  I have been experimenting from
the command line, unfortunately with not much luck.  :(

cat $TMPDIR/checkreport.$$ | $MAIL -s "$HOSTNAME $DATE ACTIVE SYSTEM
ATTACK!" $SYSADMIN

The variables are no problem.  I just am not sure how to cat a file to
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject and also set a subject and recipient. :(

Thank you,
Billy

Don't you hate it when you figure out your own question?  :)

> I was wondering if there was a wrapper or some other
> add-on that makes linux think "mail" is installed, but in fact just
> interprets "mail" commands to qmail commands.
>
> cat $TMPDIR/checkreport.$$ | $MAIL -s "$HOSTNAME $DATE ACTIVE SYSTEM
> ATTACK!" $SYSADMIN

I guess you can make qmail act like sendmail, but sendmail still isn't
/bin/mail.  :)  But in /var/qmail/bin there are plenty of other
"wrapper" type programs.  Here's the same code from above, modified to
work with /var/qmail/bin/mailsubj, which takes input from stdin and allows
you to specify a subject and a recipient.

cat $TMPDIR/checkreport.$$ | $MAIL "$HOSTNAME $DATE ACTIVE SYSTEM ATTACK!"
$SYSADMIN

The installation guide gives such an example:

env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
tcpserver -H -R 0 pop-3 \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup your.domain.com \
/home-dir-of-vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

-K

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to
anger."

> From: "alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:10:53 -0500
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: vpopmail
>
> Hello,
>
> It might be stupid question, but I have no clue where should I put startup
> line for qmail-pop3d and vchkpw? I tried in /var/qmail/rc but it didn't
> work. Please help me!
>
> aleks

Monday February 12 2001 23:10, alex wrote to All:

 a>  It might be stupid question, but I have no clue where should I put
 a> startup line for qmail-pop3d and vchkpw? I tried in /var/qmail/rc
 a> but
 a> it didn't work. Please help me!

That is not very well documented at all!

I run mine from /etc/rc.d/rc.local

 KS

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Bill Parker wrote:

>       I am working on installing amavis for scanning inbound/outbound emails with
> NAI's Virus Scan engine.  I have a question, in running the ./configure for
> amavis,
> it says it needs reformime (which is a part of the maildrop package).  If I
> compile
> and install maildrop, does it interfere at all with qmail, or is there a
> way to only
> compile and install the reformime binary from the maildrop package?

I don't think it will interfere. Best solution: after "make" simply copy
the binary reformime (we don't need the other maildrop stuff at all) to
/usr/local/bin/ (and do not do a "make install").

best regards,
Rainer Link

--
Rainer Link  |                SuSE - The Linux Experts
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |    Developer of A Mail Virus Scanner (amavis.org)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Bill Parker wrote:

> checking directory for logfile(s)... /var/log
> checking directory to move infected mails to... /var/virusmails
> checking maximum depth of recursive unpacking (maxlevel)... 20
> send virus reports to admin... yes
> checking checking user to mail reports to... virusalert
[cut]
> Now, is the /var/log correct in this case, since all qmail output on my system
> gets posted to /var/log/qmail, and these lines have some concern as well:
/var/log is the directoy into amavis writes its logfile (actually it's
/var/log/scanmails). That's not related to qmails logfile.

> send virus reports to admin... yes
> checking checking user to mail reports to... virusalert
>
> now, I don't have a user virusalert, so should I make a(n) alias for it?
Yes, please do so. Well, AMaViS 0.2.1 comes with checkaccount, which
checks if there's an alias for virusalert in /etc/aliases, but I'm not
sure if qmail uses this file (I don't think so). Well, just checked on my
laptop, simply create /var/qmail/aliases/.qmail-virusalert :)

> the final thing is from README.qmail:
>
> If you're trying to use AMaViS with qmail, you need to install qmail as usual,
> then in /var/qmail/bin rename qmail-local to qmail-local-real and
> qmail-remote to qmail-remote-real. Then make symbolic links from qmail-local
> and qmail-remote to /usr/sbin/scanmails.
>
> If I do the above after issuing make, will this cause qmail to break at all?
Well, what do you mean by "break"? You have to shut down qmail, I'm
afraid, do the steps mentioned above and restart qmail. Or do I miss your
point here?

best regards,
Rainer Link

--
Rainer Link  |                SuSE - The Linux Experts
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |    Developer of A Mail Virus Scanner (amavis.org)
www.suse.de  | Founder OpenAntiVirus Project (www.openantivirus.org)

HI,

Having problem with an alias containing a command, error message =
permision denied

Need to setup a [EMAIL PROTECTED] alias as

"|/usr/local/bin/ldap_query"

where ldap_query(1) feteches the latest list of all email addresses.
My simple test of

$cat /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-test
|/home/medi/ldap/foo

where foo(1) is defined as

#!/usr/bin/perl

open(OUT, "> /tmp/foo.out") || die $!;
while(<>)
{
        print OUT;
}
close(OUT);

Is failing with an error message in /var/log/maillog saying

Feb 13 18:54:21 samba qmail: 982119261.837833 delivery 11917: deferral:
/bin/sh:_/home/medi/l/foo:_Permission_denied/

Anyone know how to solve this problem or generally how can I tap into
LDAP for such usage.

Thanks

Medi Montaseri, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 408-450-7114
Prepass Inc, IT/Operations, Software Eng.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:55:39AM -0800, Medi Montaseri wrote:
SNIP
> My simple test of
>
> $cat /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-test
> |/home/medi/ldap/foo

SNIP sample code
> Is failing with an error message in /var/log/maillog saying
>
> Feb 13 18:54:21 samba qmail: 982119261.837833 delivery 11917: deferral:
> /bin/sh:_/home/medi/l/foo:_Permission_denied/

vi /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-test
:%s/l\/foo/ldap\/foo/

That will solve your problem if you actually posted the correct logs and
if /home/medi/ldap/foo is executable by user 'alias'.

--
Greg White
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
revolution inevitable.
                -- John F. Kennedy

Sorry Greg, the paths are correct, I just reported them incorrectly and
the permission on /home/medi/l/foo is

[medi@samba l]$ ls -l /home/medi/l/foo
-rwxr-xr-x    1 medi     users          94 Feb 13 18:40 /home/medi/l/foo
[medi@samba l]$

and .qmail-test reads

[medi@samba l]$ cat /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-test
[medi@samba l]$

Greg White wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:55:39AM -0800, Medi Montaseri wrote:
> SNIP
> > My simple test of
> >
> > $cat /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-test
> > |/home/medi/ldap/foo
> >
> SNIP sample code
> > Is failing with an error message in /var/log/maillog saying
> >
> > Feb 13 18:54:21 samba qmail: 982119261.837833 delivery 11917: deferral:
> > /bin/sh:_/home/medi/l/foo:_Permission_denied/
> >
> vi /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-test
> :%s/l\/foo/ldap\/foo/
>
> That will solve your problem if you actually posted the correct logs and
> if /home/medi/ldap/foo is executable by user 'alias'.
>
> --
> Greg White
> Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
> revolution inevitable.
>                 -- John F. Kennedy

Medi Montaseri, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 408-450-7114
Prepass Inc, IT/Operations, Software Eng.

Hi all

I am trying to use qmail-scanner with qmail, and have recompiled with
the QMAILQUEUE patch. My qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run file looks
like:

#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -i qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl" export QMAILQUEUE

exec /usr/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
        /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
        -u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp \
        /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

When I try sending mail to/through this server, I get this error:

451 qq temporary problem

And the message fails. I have installed qmail-scanner as per the
readme, and qmail-queue as per normal (patch -p0 < qmailqueue.patch).

qmail-scanner-queue.pl is suid root, and I can run it fine when I am
logged in as qmailq. If I comment the QMAILQUEUE variable out of my
run file, all works as normal.

Does anybody know where this problem occurs and how I can fix it?

TIA

Brett.
--
"At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the

- Anonymous

Hello,

I installed qmail+mysql patch (from here:
http://www.softagency.co.jp/mysql/qmail2.en.html) and everything was
working fine. Today i was playing with maildrop and I don't know how
that happend, but qmail is not working anymore with mysql
authentication. Now it works with /etc/passwd ... The weird thing is
that it is still querying the database and it gets the row with the user
data (i checked the mysql.log) , but for some reason it then looks at
/etc/passwd, does not finds the user  and shows
Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name_(#5.1.1) .......

I checked everything, the permissions are ok, the control/sqlserver file
has mysql_use yes attribute , check_host is set to "no" users exist in
the database but why it then looks at /etc/passwd ? I only can mail to
users in /etc/passwd now ... any ideas where to look for this problem?
Also, if the user exists in /etc/passwd why doesn't it even look at
mysql database? this was not exactly i was expecting installing this
patch.

Thanks for any help in advance

nikolai

hi all,

I'm getting a reoccuring error in my qmail logs,
I'm not sure I understand what it's trying to
tell me.

@400000003a8a0e53036600b4 warning: trouble opening remote/4/2226680; will try again
later
@400000003a8a0e530367aa7c warning: trouble opening remote/10/2226663; will try again
later

Thanks

-Jason

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I'm getting a reoccuring error in my qmail logs,
> I'm not sure I understand what it's trying to
> tell me.
>
> @400000003a8a0e53036600b4 warning: trouble opening remote/4/2226680;
> will try again later @400000003a8a0e530367aa7c warning: trouble
> opening remote/10/2226663; will try again later
>
> Thanks
>
> -Jason

Means that you may have deleted files from the queue (eg
/var/qmail/queue/mess/4/2226680) without deleting the information
files (in /var/qmail/queue/remote). Either that or there's been some
kind of corruption/permission change.
--
"The C Programming Language: A new language which combines the flexibility
of assembly language with the power of assembly language."

- Murphy's Introduction to C

Actually I use a tool called qmHandle -d# to delete a few messages out of
qmail's message queue.  Funny thing is doing a qmHandle -l produces:

Messages in local queue: 0
Messages in remote queue: 2

But a qmail-qstat produces

messages in queue: 17
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

Is this because of qmHandle?

-Jason

On 14 Feb 2001 16:16:00 +1100
Brett Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > hi all,
> >
> > I'm getting a reoccuring error in my qmail logs,
> > I'm not sure I understand what it's trying to
> > tell me.
> >
> > @400000003a8a0e53036600b4 warning: trouble opening remote/4/2226680;
> > will try again later @400000003a8a0e530367aa7c warning: trouble
> > opening remote/10/2226663; will try again later
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -Jason
>
> Means that you may have deleted files from the queue (eg
> /var/qmail/queue/mess/4/2226680) without deleting the information
> files (in /var/qmail/queue/remote). Either that or there's been some
> kind of corruption/permission change.
> --
> "The C Programming Language: A new language which combines the flexibility
> of assembly language with the power of assembly language."
>
> - Murphy's Introduction to C

Dan, Why did you need to post that message as html as if the original is
*distracting* enough?? plain text would have been sufficent...

George

Dan Egli wrote:

> Dude,
>

> The person sending the virus likely has no idea he (or she) is sending
> it. The virus infects your winsock32.dll file, so anyone who sends mail
> using a win32 client (like me for example) is vulnerable. The virus is
> sent automatically. They don't see it. Chill out, and warn people you
> are getting it and ask them to scan their systems for the virus. The
> latest versions of Mcafee and/or Norton Anti-Virus will find and kill
> the virus.
>
> -- Dan

Hi,

Is there any way one can do load balancing with qmail, i.e I have two
machines both with qmail set up and running. Is there a way that I can have
them both serving as smtp servers without the clients knowing which machine
is sending the ail for them?

Andrew

Yes and no, well actually just yes but one option is easy the other is
not.  If you are talking about desktop clients where you manually can
enter a hostname to use as SMTP server then it is easy.  If you on the
other hand mean to loadbalance your MX records that will be a bit
tricky (or atleast expensive).

Anyhow, to loadbalance yuor desktop clients all you need to do is setup
DNS roundrobin for the SMTP host.  DNS roundrobin is not perfect but
will suffice for the most of us.

MX records rarely need loadbalancing since you have the prefference
setting in the MX record itself.  If the most preffered server is "full"
the sending host will simply pick the MX record with the second best
prefference and so on.  However if you really want _real_ loadbalancing
I would recommend thirdparty software or hardware.

/Martin

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 10:33:01AM +0300, Andrew Wafula mumbled:

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Andrew Wafula wrote:

> Is there any way one can do load balancing with qmail, i.e I have two
> machines both with qmail set up and running. Is there a way that I can have
> them both serving as smtp servers without the clients knowing which machine
> is sending the ail for them?

you can use dns mx preferences for smtp.
you can use dns round-robin a records.
you can use a load balancer like http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/, or an f5 bigip,
or alteon's, or cisco's, etc etc.

-tcl.

Look at this conversation:

+OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
user peter
+OK
pass ***** <- not
+OK
stat
+OK 81 204686
retr 81
+OK
[message]

.
dele 81
+OK
stat
+OK 81 203554

Note how stat shows a smaller total size but the same message count.
This is a bug. According to RFC1939 (pop3) STAT should not count
deleted messages 'in either total'.

The fix is trivial, I will fix up a patch tonight if noone else does
it before then :)

Greetz, Peter.