Rainer Link wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Bill Parker wrote:
>
> >       I am working on installing amavis for scanning inbound/outbound emails with
> > NAI's Virus Scan engine.  I have a question, in running the ./configure for
> > amavis,
> > it says it needs reformime (which is a part of the maildrop package).  If I
> > compile
> > and install maildrop, does it interfere at all with qmail, or is there a
> > way to only
> > compile and install the reformime binary from the maildrop package?
>
> I don't think it will interfere. Best solution: after "make" simply copy
> the binary reformime (we don't need the other maildrop stuff at all) to
> /usr/local/bin/ (and do not do a "make install").

It will not interfere.  Maildrop is just another mail delivery agent.  You have to
specifically tell qmail to use it.  I use maildrop for all of my standard users.  In
".qmail" you can put a line like,
|/usr/bin/maildrop /home/users/johndoe/.mailfilter
or with qmail-ldap, place the following in "deliveryprogrampath"
/usr/bin/maildrop /home/users/johndoe/.mailfilter
or you can globally use maildrop...

Then, you can use maildrop's structured filter language to do server side filtering for
the user or just deliver the message to the Maildir without filtering.  It has many
nice features that you might be interested in.
Later,
--

S. Clint Bullock
Network Administrator