<snip>
> up with different IPs each time they dial in.)
>
>The solution is simple, and often overlooked, and often asked on this
>list.  Maybe somebody should write a "Life with email" document ;-)
>
>If they have dialin access through a "national ISP" then that ISP most
>certainly has a relaying SMTP server that they can designate in their MUA
>as their SMTP server.  There is no reason on earth that they should have
>to relay back through the home office server, unless their ISP sucks.
>
>You do _NOT_ have to send outgoing mail through the machine that is your
>_INCOMING_ mail server!

Pete,
Although I agree with your comments with regards to most of the clients (AT&T
Worldnet, for example, won't let you send through an SMTP server other than
theirs...), the clincher is the fact that (what I so apparently left out...) for two
of the domains in question the server is providing "mailhosting" for clients of mine
(and it will probably grow to more).  In other words, these clients will always be
roaming/remote.  So, I still need some way to authenticate these people so they can
use the server as a "relay" server.

SF