Well, that depends: is qmail taking incoming request or initiating an
outgoing request. This assumes the ipchains script is being used on your
gateway computer. The script for a firewall is different.

incoming request:

-s $anywhere $unprivports
-d $ipaddr 25

outgoing reponses to input request:

-s $ipaddr 25
-d $anywhere $unprivports

Now, initiating a connection, as in relaying email,

outgoing

-s $ipaddr $unprivports
-d $anywhere 25

incoming

-s $anywhere 25
-d $ipaddr $unprivports

(I didn't use the -b option for clarity)

        My ipchains script for a non-firewall installation is not the same as a
firewall. There should be NO services running on your firewall!! The
firewall just passes packets between your DMZ, private internal network
and the wild, wild internet. When I setup my SMTP gateway as a bastion
host outside the firewall, by default I open all privports and then
close all ports that are not needed. I also look for spoofing and other
sundry nasties. If you'd like a copy of it, I could clean it up and send
it your way. I put it together rather quickly, so it's not pretty!

HTH

.mark