qmail Digest 22 Feb 2001 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1283

Topics (messages 57676 through 57765):

Re: Need Arguments for qmail
        57676 by: Mike Jackson
        57677 by: Carl
        57678 by: Mike Jackson
        57682 by: Carl
        57704 by: Russell Nelson
        57725 by: Martin Akesson
        57728 by: Chris Garrigues
        57735 by: Dave Sill

Resend (No Reply) !!
        57679 by: Mark Lo
        57681 by: Henning Brauer
        57688 by: Mark Lo
        57690 by: Henning Brauer
        57691 by: Johan Almqvist

Re: Mail delivery problems.
        57680 by: Prashant Desai

Re: (OT) DJB-itization
        57683 by: [gill]
        57685 by: Carl
        57687 by: Joost van Baal
        57694 by: Martin Randall

Qmail Tests
        57684 by: Sumith

Re: 1 host with several hostnames
        57686 by: Claus Färber

Re: Suppressing Bounce Messages
        57689 by: Claus Färber

Re: warning: trouble opening remote/4/r
        57692 by: Charles Cazabon
        57752 by: flint

Re: email to fax machine
        57693 by: Charles Cazabon

Remote CC
        57695 by: Nilo Menezes
        57696 by: Johan Almqvist

Is there another procedure to enable Selective SMTP relaying whic h is not
SMTP-after-POP?
        57697 by: Charrua
        57701 by: Enrique Vadillo
        57702 by: Charles Cazabon
        57714 by: Charrua
        57723 by: Kris Kelley

Re: queue keeping messages
        57698 by: Karen
        57700 by: Charles Cazabon

New Patch for Latest UW IMAP server
        57699 by: Herbie
        57703 by: Tim Hunter
        57705 by: Mike Jackson

Re: djbcron
        57706 by: Russell Nelson
        57709 by: Chris Garrigues

Courier Problems was UW IMAP Patch
        57707 by: Herbie

Re: badrcptto
        57708 by: Alex Kramarov
        57711 by: James R Grinter

qmail-qfilter problems
        57710 by: Andy Meuse
        57712 by: Alex Kramarov
        57719 by: Andy Meuse

remove autoresponder and mailing list from qmailadmin
        57713 by: Yee Siew Chin
        57717 by: Jeremy Anttila

Remote
        57715 by: Nilo Menezes
        57716 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Local Deliveries Slow
        57718 by: lists-mail-isp-qmail.pgregg.com
        57720 by: Manvendra Bhangui
        57721 by: Charles Cazabon
        57741 by: Manvendra Bhangui

LWQ & OpenBSD
        57722 by: Rick Updegrove
        57726 by: Kris Kelley
        57743 by: Robin S. Socha
        57744 by: Aaron Malone
        57746 by: Gavin McCord

Re: how to hide the alias-<user_name>
        57724 by: Chris Johnson

Qmail and MX Record change
        57727 by: Matt Simonsen

qmail-smtpd logging
        57729 by: Chris
        57730 by: Charles Cazabon
        57737 by: Chris Davis
        57738 by: Charles Cazabon
        57740 by: Chris Davis

How can I change the remote delivery program ?
        57731 by: Nilo Menezes
        57733 by: Chris Johnson
        57734 by: Charles Cazabon
        57742 by: Nilo Menezes
        57745 by: Kourosh Ghassemieh

qmail-scanner wrapper
        57732 by: Chris Hellberg
        57736 by: Olivier M.
        57739 by: Chris Hellberg
        57757 by: Chris Hellberg

Slow connection on send & Server connection closed
        57747 by: JK
        57748 by: Chris Johnson
        57749 by: Kris Kelley
        57750 by: Campos Mario
        57751 by: Campos Mario
        57758 by: JK
        57759 by: JK
        57760 by: JK
        57762 by: JK

our qmail is very slow!
        57753 by: flint

rcpthosts file - newbe question
        57754 by: Daniel Jones
        57761 by: Peter Cavender

Fictitious domain and SMTP relay
        57755 by: Anurag Jalan

rblsmtpd log
        57756 by: Agi Subagio

Migration of Mailboxes and Accounts from Ms Exchange
        57763 by: Tonka Sesarino

qmail test scripts
        57764 by: Sumith

mail queue problem.
        57765 by: Haig Earl

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Robin S. Socha" wrote:

> * Mike Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010221 03:19]:
>
> > cat /var/log/qmail/current | tai64nlocal | less
>
> http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/unix/award.html

This is off-topic for this list, but since you mentioned it: This is not
useless usage of cat. There has to be three processes to pipe the log
file through tai64nlocal without it flying by like an F14. If somebody
knows how to do this with only two processes, then enlighten me.

if you give:

less /var/log/qmail/current | tai64nlocal

it flies by ...

Regards,
Mike

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:32:17PM +0200, Mike Jackson wrote:
> "Robin S. Socha" wrote:
> >
> > * Mike Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010221 03:19]:
> >
> > > cat /var/log/qmail/current | tai64nlocal | less
> >
> > http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/unix/award.html
>

> This is off-topic for this list, but since you mentioned it: This is not
> useless usage of cat. There has to be three processes to pipe the log
> file through tai64nlocal without it flying by like an F14. If somebody
> knows how to do this with only two processes, then enlighten me.
>
> if you give:
>
> less /var/log/qmail/current | tai64nlocal
>
> it flies by ...
>
> Regards,
> Mike

I don't have any logs to try it on but I imagine something like this would
work fine:

  tai64nlocal </var/log/qmail/current | less

--Carl--

PGP signature

Carl wrote:

> I don't have any logs to try it on but I imagine something like this would
> work fine:
>
>   tai64nlocal </var/log/qmail/current | less
>
> --Carl--

Yep, that works. Thanks..

Mike

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:48:46PM +0200, Mike Jackson wrote:
> Carl wrote:
> >

> > I don't have any logs to try it on but I imagine something like this would
> > work fine:
> >
> >   tai64nlocal </var/log/qmail/current | less
> >
> > --Carl--
>
> Yep, that works. Thanks..

Heh, cool. Just a guess.

--Carl--

PGP signature

Robin S. Socha writes:
 > * Mike Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010221 03:19]:
 >
 > > cat /var/log/qmail/current | tai64nlocal | less
 >
 > http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/unix/award.html

It's not useless.  It serves as a mental place-holder.  It's where you
would put the grep if you needed to grep, instead of cat.  It also
lists the single file that you're inputting.  If you decided instead
that you needed to examine all the log files, instead of having to
change the whole command line, you just change "current" to "*".

Your anti-useless-use-of-cat crusade is a waste of people's time.  It
comes from the old days where machine time was more important than
people time.  We left those days at least five years ago.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "This is Unix...

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 11:11:55AM -0500, Russell Nelson mumbled:

> Your anti-useless-use-of-cat crusade is a waste of people's time.  It
> comes from the old days where machine time was more important than
> people time.  We left those days at least five years ago.

So, just because we have faster computers we should make programs that
are not as efficient as they "used" to be?  Your filosofy is pretty much
what Microsoft is working on and I for one do not like it.  If you can
make it fast, then make is _fast_.  Not because you have to but because
you can, there is no need to write less efficient code just because
a fast computer make the new, albeit slow, code run just as fast as the old
code, the fast one, on an slow machine.  Thats just being dumb.

/martin

> From:  Martin Akesson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:00:40 +0100
>
> So, just because we have faster computers we should make programs that
> are not as efficient as they "used" to be?  Your filosofy is pretty much
> what Microsoft is working on and I for one do not like it.  If you can
> make it fast, then make is _fast_.  Not because you have to but because
> you can, there is no need to write less efficient code just because
> a fast computer make the new, albeit slow, code run just as fast as the old
> code, the fast one, on an slow machine.  Thats just being dumb.

You can optimize for CPU time; you can optimize for programmer time; you can
optimize for user time.  You can't optimize for all three at once unless the
original code was incredibly bad.

The perl camel book actually breaks this down into 6 categories as follows:

        Time Efficiency
        Space Efficiency
        Programmer Efficiency
        Maintainer Efficiency
        Porter Efficiency
        User Efficiency

and many of the advice in each of those sections contradicts advice in the
other sections.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature

Peter Cavender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I volunteered to talk about and "defend" qmail at a Linux Users' Group
>meeting where there will be people speaking on 3 or 4 of the main MTAs.
>
>I am competent in setting up and maintaining qmail, but I must say that I
>am unable to respond properly to a lot of the criticism of qmail, mostly
>in comparison to sendmail (which I have never administered).
>
>I would appreciate any and all rebuffings of qmail myths, relevant
>anecdotes, or theoretical analysis that would aid in my presentation.

Tips:

  Be honest--don't be afraid to admit qmail's weaknesses or sendmail's
    strengths.
  Be reasonable--don't claim that qmail is right for everyone.
  Be positive--concentrate on qmail's strengths, not sendmail's
    weaknesses.
  Be calm--project confidence, not mindless advocacy.

qmail vs. sendmail pro's:

  security
  performance
  reliability
  modularity
  VERP support
  extension addresses

qmail vs. sendmail con's:

  no connection caching or multiple-RCPT's
  no bad address rejection during SMTP
  redistribution restricted
  sendmail is more widely known

qmail vs. sendmail diff's:

  configuration style is very different
  logging information is different

qmail myths:

  qmail can flood a server that's been down for a while.
    Since each message has its own retry schedule, qmail won't
    immediately try to drop its backlog on a server. Other MTA's
    sendmail *will*, though, through connection caching.
  qmail can open too many connections to a server.
    There is no way a sending system can know each remote system's
    capabilities at each point in time. It has to assume that if the
    remote accepts an SMTP connection request, that it can handle the
    load.

-Dave

Hi,

     How to tell qmail only listen to one sigle interface.

for example,

    eth0="203.122.222.222"
    eth0:0="203.122.222.223"

How to tell qmail to use eth0 only for incoming and outgoing connections ??

Thank You

Mark

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 07:57:43PM +0800, Mark Lo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      How to tell qmail only listen to one sigle interface.
>
> for example,
>
>     eth0="203.122.222.222"
>     eth0:0="203.122.222.223"
>
> How to tell qmail to use eth0 only for incoming and outgoing connections ??

I answered. If you are posting to the list you should be subscribed. And
resends are useless, if nobody answered the first time nobody will answer
the second time.

incoming: man tcpserver
outgoing: AFAIK impossible without patching qmail-remote.c

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14

Hi,

      I have already done so.

   my script is following life with qmail, I replace 0 with my smtp server
ip address.  It seems only bind qmail to use that specific IP address for
incoming connection only.  But for outgoing connections, qmail uses all the
interface randomly that I have on my machine.  Any cues !!!

Thank you

Mark

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:20:00PM +0800, Mark Lo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I have already done so.
>
>    my script is following life with qmail, I replace 0 with my smtp server
> ip address.  It seems only bind qmail to use that specific IP address for
> incoming connection only.

Of course. As I've written.

> But for outgoing connections, qmail uses all the
> interface randomly that I have on my machine.

That depends on your routing and has nothing to do with qmail. You cannot
specifiy an ip to bound to for qmail-remote as i have written.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

* Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010221 14:47]:
> > But for outgoing connections, qmail uses all the
> > interface randomly that I have on my machine.
> That depends on your routing and has nothing to do with qmail. You cannot
> specifiy an ip to bound to for qmail-remote as i have written.

And the patches would be at
http://www.qmail.org/local-bind/
http://www.qmail.org/outgoingip.patch
http://www.lamer.de/maex/creative/software/qmail/
http://tycho.edico.si/linuxtnt/#qmail-patch

-Johan, helping Henning to mouth-feed info :-/
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

just replace defaultdelivery with "/Maildir/ and dont forget trailing "/"  ,
also check the owner and permission of users home directory as well as Maildir

hope this helps
Prashant Desai

Anurag Jalan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently removed Sendmail 8.9.3 from my Redhat 6.2 system
> and installed Qmail 1.03 following instructions from 'Life with qmail'.
>
> Aim : To allow 20 odd users on the intranet to access their email from
> various POP3 accounts on different servers and to allow them to send
> local email to each other.
>
> Setup : caching DNS setup for a fictitious domain adventus.cxm . FQDN of
> local
> server is server.adventus.cxm .
>
> qmail-pop3d setup through tcpserver as advised .
> Russell Nelson's script used to convert /var/spool/mail to Maildir mailboxes
>
> fetchmail run via script as user 'anurag' ( was working under Sendmail ) as
> a cronjob ( every 3 minutes ) . Added 'forcecr to * here ' to .fetchmailrc .
>
> in the rc script ..in the qmail-start line i have ' defaultdelivery splogger
> qmail'
> defaultdelivery has been set to ./Maildir
>
> I have found the following error in /var/log/maillog
>
> Unable_to_open_./Maildir:_is_a_directory._(#4.2.1) /
>
> Any help would be *very* welcome .
>
> Sincerely
> Anurag

I should loudly proclaim that I am NOT a software developer, nor do I play
one on TV or any mailing list.  The things I think are my ideas which are
subject to change.  Healthy, constructive discussions which may change
them are strongly encouraged.  That said, these are some of my thoughts
about this subject...

After reading DJB's both distribution policy and his ideas about
filesystem hierarchy, I think it can work with or without his blessing (of
course it would be preferred!).

I got the idea thinking of the original BSD tapes and how they were
essentially aftermarket upgrades to the AT&T UNIX distributed to them.

Maybe it would be easiest to distribute something like FreeBSD's ports ...
something that does a default install without modifying the basic
installation of DJB's tools (per the license) and then scripts the
necessary changes in the _OS_ to implement that tool, and then adds in
anything to keep that change in place (such as the makefiles mentioned
below).  I think that if this was going to be done right, it would fully
implement DJB's ideas about filesystem hierarchy and all of the tools he
has created so far.  This would give the world a chance to see the vision
that DJB sees, perhaps.

Is there a better list to discuss this than the qmail list?

--gill

Remember?  When you said:

->On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 12:13:36AM +0100, Robin S. Socha wrote:
->> * Charles Cazabon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
->> > Carl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
->>
->> >> Soon I'll do it, I'm hyped about the idea, it'd be cool if some
->> >> people talked more about the idea, i.e. what would they want in it.
->>
->> > Wishlist: a djb replacement for Vixie cron.  Especially topical at the
->> > moment.
->>
->> But it won't happen without DJB changing his distribution policy.
->> man hier and his software don't match. This is particularly annoying if
->> you do cvsups and make world with sendmail, named etc. Oh well...
->
->Robin, I've just posted modified makefiles for your favorite OS to avoid
->this to misc@ ;-))
->
->(it's OpenBSD, for the other readers)
->
->
->

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 07:10:52AM -0500, [gill] wrote:

> Is there a better list to discuss this than the qmail list?

Perhaps misc? [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--Carl--
http://slackerbsd.org

PGP signature

Perhaps slashpackage? http://cr.yp.to/lists.html .

--
Joost

Hello Carl

On 21-Feb-01, you wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 07:10:52AM -0500, [gill] wrote:
>>
>> Is there a better list to discuss this than the qmail list?
>>
> Perhaps misc? [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --Carl--
> http://slackerbsd.org

Yes, I mentioned this to DJB as well. I think I said advocacy but a way to
get all the djb program promotion and discussion on file system layout out
of the way of this list which is basically support.
Never heard anything and as far as I am aware, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
[EMAIL PROTECTED] don't exist.

A pity, as they are needed to push these, what if, discussions off this
list.

Regards...Martin
--
---
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.

 == Weisert

Hello

I've tested my qmail system with the following two perl scripts, downloaded from www.qmail.org

perl qmail-qsanity-0_52

did not display anything does that mean..that my Qmail Queue system is set right. or what does it really mean.

perl qmail-lint-0_55
Warning: users/assign checking not implemented.

What does that warning mean...Is it really bad? what can i do to make this error disppear.

I've installed Qmail from RPMS at www.qmail.org

Regards
Sumith

Massimo Quintini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb/wrote:
> I have installed QMAIL in a host called "realname.aaa.bbb.ccc"
> (MX record in DNS). On this server I have defined 10 users. This
> host should accept mails for "virtual1.aaa.bbb.ccc",
> "virtual2.aaa.bbb.ccc" and "aaa.bbb.ccc" (For example: a mail
> for [EMAIL PROTECTED] MUST go in [EMAIL PROTECTED], a
> mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] MUST go in
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] - with "user01" user of computer
> "realname")

Just put all alias names for your real domain name in locals (and
rcpthosts).

> Must I insert the "virtual1" in DNS (MX record) ??????

Yes. Otherwise, other hosts won't know that they have to send mail
to your mail server.

Claus
--
http://www.faerber.muc.de

Matthew Patterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb/wrote:
> Add an alias file for each of the addresses that these messages
> is intended for and redirect it to the postmaster of the
> originating domain. I'm sure it will stop real fast.

Or it will generate even more bounce messages because the other
domain is rouge...

Claus
--
http://www.faerber.muc.de

flint <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Today,I saw there were many messages like this in the maillog:
> >> 982653149.920320 warning: trouble opening remote/4/r

> >Your queue is corrupt.  Did you manually remove any messages from the queue?
> >Get qmail-queuefix from www.qmail.org to fix this.

> Thank you. I have really removed the queue. But i have backuped them. Now
> which is better,override the queue with the backed queue or using the
> queue-fix to fix them.

You can either use queue-fix to replace/fix the (non-existent?) queue, or
restore from your backups and THEN use queue-fix to fix the queue.

You can't just restore from tape; files in the queue are named based on the
inodes they reside on.  Restoring from tape will completely mess this up.
queue-fix will rename all the files to match properly.

Charles

Dear Charles Cazabon

>You can either use queue-fix to replace/fix the (non-existent?) queue, or
>restore from your backups and THEN use queue-fix to fix the queue.
>
>You can't just restore from tape; files in the queue are named based on the
>inodes they reside on.  Restoring from tape will completely mess this up.
>queue-fix will rename all the files to match properly.
>
>Charles

  I have fix the queue using queue-fix. It unlinked some file under
/var/qmail/queue/remote,
but now I still can see the Warning messages in the maillog? Is there something wrong?

  Another question(that is also why I removed the queue), I have noticed for days,now
it becomes
more and more unbearable. That is,it is very slowly when we receive mails through
POP3. The
strange thing is that when you have received the mails then receive mails again
immediately,
it is very quickly. These days this situation is very common. I'm not sure what's the
problem.
It the problem of our Mail System or the problem of the network. My mail system is:
FreeBSD+qmail+vpopmail+sqwebmail.Thank you.

            flint

Ami Shamril <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We just bought one fax machine (Brothers MFC8600).
> By default users just can send fax by send email to this fax machine.

OT:  what a security nightmare.

> Email address for the fax machine is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> But the format to fax is to send email to fax@mycompany(fax#1234567) (This
> format worked with MS Exchange server)

Try putting a space between the address and the parentheses:
    fax@domain (fax#5551212)

If that doesn't work, perhaps try using an address like this:
    "fax#5551212" <fax@domain>

Charles

Why I get one remote process for each address in a CC, if they are in the
same domain ?

Ex:

I get this message delivered 4 times to the same host, x.com. Any suggestions ?

Nilo

* Nilo Menezes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010221 16:06]:
> Why I get one remote process for each address in a CC, if they are in the
> same domain ?

Because that's the way qmail works.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

Hi all,
Is there another procedure to enable Selective SMTP relaying which is not
SMTP-after-POP?. The great problem posed by this solution is that the users
do not want to perform the manual checking of the mailbox first and send
after.
Isn't there a method to enable it by domain? That is to say if the message
comes from domain "domain1.com","domain2.com" or "domain3.com" I allow it to
relay. If it comes from another domain I do not.

Thanks and Best Regards

Andrés

That would be extremely dangerous, spam from anywhere would be relayed
just by forging sender's address.

The best solution for roamers' smtp is SMTP-after-POP, trust me, what
i have done is to modify the source i found on the net (Bruce Guenter's)
and i have customized it so my smtp server is not abused by non-roaming
users of mine, and now it works simply fine.

Enrique-

Charrua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there another procedure to enable Selective SMTP relaying which is not
> SMTP-after-POP?. The great problem posed by this solution is that the users
> do not want to perform the manual checking of the mailbox first and send
> after.  Isn't there a method to enable it by domain? That is to say if the
> message comes from domain "domain1.com","domain2.com" or "domain3.com" I
> allow it to relay. If it comes from another domain I do not.

This can be done, but it isn't safe.  Anyone can specify your domain as their
envelope sender address, and therefore anyone can relay through you.  In fact,
some spammers use an envelope sender in the domain they're trying to relay
through just to catch people who have setups like this.

Charles

> Enrique, which is the change you have made to the code? I suppose that
> what you do is that if the IP from which the user connects itself belongs
> to users which do not move you do not use SMTP after POP, if it is a
> different IP you use SMTP after POP. Is this so?

Thanks

Andres

Enrique Vadillo wrote:
> The best solution for roamers' smtp is SMTP-after-POP, trust me

I believe authenticated SMTP works best.  The majority of email clients
support it now, and there are good implementations of it for qmail.  Check
out www.qmail.org for details, specifically, Krzysztof Dabrowski's work.

---Kris Kelley

Fixed.
someone had forwarded postmaster to /dev/null
and it didn't work so hundreds of snow white virus files were being dumped
in the queue a day.  They weren't expiring and were causing a vicious cycle
of send, requeue, resend.

So i redirected postmaster to an email address and all the stupid virus
files went there and i deleted them.
There is still a 3 minute delay in qmail when send a message to when you
receive it. Is this normal?  I'm used to sendmail where mail is more
instantaneous.

thanks,
Karen

I've installed Qmail from RPMS at www.qmail.org

Regards
Sumith

hi,

my qmail-qstat shows me over 4000 mails and its
increasing. why arent the mails being delivered ??

urgent !

TIA,
- sg.