Hi All,

I have patched qmail-smtpd with Krzysztof Dabrowski's SMTP-AUTH patch and
have changed the line in /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run to end "..
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /bin/checkpassword /bin/true &2>&1" and have been
trying to send e-mail from an IP address that is not permitted in the
tcp.cdb for relaying purposes.

I am using Outlook Express 5 to send the e-mail with the "My outgoing mail
server requires authentication" and "Use same settings as incoming e-mail"
(eg. /etc/shadow passwords) but still the password is not being accepted.
(Outlook just keeps asking for the password). Sent SMTP mail from allowed IP
address ranges sends fine.

Here's an extract from /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current: (typed as PuTTY won't
let me copy it!)

tcpserver: status 1/40
tcpserver: pid 17876 from 212.1.156.167
tcpserver: ok 17876 pluto.office.internal:10.0.0.12:25
ppp-1-167.cvx6.telinco.net:212.1.156.167::1186
tcpserver: end 17876 status 256
tcpserver: status 0/40

I did have a problem with patching qmail-smtpd (I got a warning about a
return type, see earlier e-mail on list) but I'm not sure if that's the
problem.
/etc/shadow is owned by user/group root.

What else could be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance
John