On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 05:08:43PM -0500, Kari Suomela wrote:

> Thursday March 01 2001 15:57, David Dyer-Bennet wrote to All:
>

>  >> How do I get Qmail to include the proper time zone info in the
>  >> messages? My sendmail machines have it, but anything coming from
>  >> Qmail has -0000. The machines are otherwise identical RH 7.0 boxes.
>
>  DB> Basically, you won't.  Qmail is putting in the time correctly, but
>  DB> it's stating it in GMT.  This is actually more useful; mail often
>  DB> crosses timezone boundaries, and having the received headers *all*
>  DB> use
>
> This is very annoying! I've spent lots of time training the users to
> configure their clients properly, and now my qmail server sends out
> garbage, which defeats the purpose. :(

You have users who read Recieved: headers regularly? Why? At any rate, it
really ticks me off when SMTP servers use local timezone values in
Recieved: headers -- try tracing a message that got to you from Finland
across a good five or six servers that _all_ use local timezones, doing
the GMT math by hand, to see how long the message took to get to you. No
fscking fun at _all_. Using GMT in Recieved: headers means that it's
_very_ easy to find out exactly how long it took to get to you, and
where any delays might have been (and what else is the date in the
Recieved: header for?). Doing the simple math to convert it all to your
local timezone should be trivial, you only need to do it once.

>  DB> The timezone information is only available in rather
>  DB> system-dependent
>  DB> ways through the standard C library, and Dan has chosen to
>  DB> completely
>  DB> avoid the standard C library for security and performance reasons.
>
> Whatever that means. Sendmail is doing it ok, so it can't be that hard
> to implement.
>
>  KS

I imagine that it's trickier than you think if you're avoiding standard
C libraries, and most sysadmins (which is who I thought Recieved:
headers were for) seem to prefer GMT anyway....

Is your problem actually with the Recieved: headers, or 'Date:'?

--
Greg White
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent