This I can answer! (and correctly)

Your OS (linux distro?) probably comes with a log rotater.  Mine is
managed by /etc/logrotate.conf.

It includes files in /etc/logrotate.d/

The file  /etc/logrotate.d/syslog includes the following:

/var/log/maillog {
    daily
    rotate 14
    create 0640 root admin
    postrotate
        /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd
    endscript
}

which rotates my maillog.

Note:  Don't use syslog for high volume mail sites.  It is fine on my
site (about 3000 messages a day), but it still takes an average of 5% of
my CPU time at all times.  Check out L.W.Q. and the faq for other options
to use instead of syslog (splogger).

----
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is Edward J. Allen III's Administrative account.
Send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to get my current PGP key