>Qmail-Popup is filling my logs with:
>
>      qmail-popup[29108]: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 8: can't verify
>hostname: gethostbyname(c393514-a.grdjctn1.co.home.com) failed
>
>It appears that every connection attempt log this message, but I can
>nslookup without any problem, and tcpdmatch without any problem either. It
>appears that this could be a TCP Wrappers problem but I can't duplicate it
>with tcpdmatch, and it doesn't fail for other servers.
>
>Anyone seen this before?

Yes.  @Home has a tendency to lose entries in one or both of their
main DNS servers.  When this happens, you frequently get this kind of
message from tcpwrappers.  I just ran a dnstrace on this address and
it looks like it's back to normal; both 24.0.0.27 and 24.2.0.27 know
the address.  Usually if you just wait a few hours, the problem gets
fixed.  Heaven help you if they lose the entries permanently, which
has happened to us twice  Their front line customer support people
don't know what DNS is, and you have to argue with them for a while
until you get kicked up the the second line people, who usually know
about basic Internet services.

>-K

Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center