qmail-pop3d will not read mails that have a newer timestamp than the current
time.
make sure your time is synched between the boxes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brett Randall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 2:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: POP mail not appearing in a session

Maybe I'm just going crazy, but I am having stupid troubles with
qmail-pop3d.

I've got a server which has an NFS export (exporting /nfs/mail to *,
with rw, no_root_squash). I've got another server which mounts this
NFS share in the same location (/nfs/mail). Both servers are using NIS
and have exactly the same user information on both, and nsswitch.conf
both use nis first when looking for passwd and group.

Both servers start POP3 via:

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 pop3  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
        bigbird.domain.com /usr/local/bin/checkpassword \
        /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

Both servers appear to authenticate me without any problems when I
open a POP3 session, but only the one that has the NFS share locally
actually shows any mail. On both servers, I can type 'ls
~brett_remote/Maildir/new' (assuming brett_remote is the username that
is stored remotely but accessed via an NFS share), and I can see all
the new mail. But the POP3 daemon on the remote machine shows that I
have no mail.

For those that are wondering, the `remote' machine is a server located
in another part of the city in another set of offices. We allow
external pop access (ie REALLY external, like when they dial into
another ISP overseas) for all our staff, no matter which offices they
are located in, as long as they point their mail software to one
single POP3 server. This POP server then goes and grabs the mail via
NFS for the user. This is where the trouble is coming in.

Does anybody know why I would be able to access e-mail from the real
server, but not another one mounting it as an NFS share? I've never
had this problem before which is why I think I am going crazy... And
all the permissions are fine. That's not likely to be the problem
since the same NIS maps are on both servers.

TIA!
--
Calvin: I've been thinking, Hobbes
Hobbes: On a weekend?