Sorry, this is slightly off topic.

We use a (homegrown) checkpassword programm (with MySQL support) that
also does APOP authentification for POP3.

I'd like to add SMTP AUTH (based on Eric M. Johnston qmail-smtpd AUTH
patch 20010105).

>From what I've read from the RFCs (I'm not so good with crypto things :(
I am rather sure ;-) that APOP and CRAM-MD5 are not compatible. However
I'd like to - if possible - maintain one codebase for our checkpassword
programm and not have two different versions.

Is there a chance to tell from the digest whether it's a APOP (i.e.
plain MD5) or a CRAM-MD5 digest?
(Otherwise I'd probably try to make a really ugly hack and look at
argv[1] to decide whether it's called in a POP3 sequence or a smtpd
one).

Thanks,

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299