qmail Digest 19 Mar 2001 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1308

Topics (messages 59261 through 59274):

Re: Please help, I have been trying to solve this for two weeks.
        59261 by: Brett Randall
        59262 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: virtual users without virtual domains?
        59263 by: Nick (Keith) Fish

Re: Alias not forwading to .qmail-foo-default
        59264 by: Nick (Keith) Fish
        59265 by: Todd A. Jacobs
        59266 by: Sean Chittenden

Help about write program used by dot qmail file.
        59267 by: Silver Dirk
        59270 by: Chris Bolt

Queue documentation.
        59268 by: Grant
        59269 by: Jordan Krushen

multilog and missing info
        59271 by: Chris Bolt
        59272 by: Brett Randall
        59273 by: Chris Bolt
        59274 by: Adam McKenna

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Greetings, I did a setup of QMAIL using the RPM's located at:
> http://www.qmail.org/rpms/ Qmail seems to be running fine, but here
> are my issues:

The general opinion on this list, as you may find, is that the best
way to install qmail is to follow www.lifewithqmail.org . You will
then know how qmail works, where the paths to all your files are (and
what they do), and hold the entire `mail system' in a higher regard.
--
"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to

- Western Union internal memo, 1876

Avery Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> qmaill     901  0.0  0.1  1320  344 ?        S    19:59   0:00 multilog t
[...]
> - Qmail doesn't seem to log anything at all into: maillog, messages or any
> other log I can find.

You appear to be logging through multilog (good).  It logs into a series of
files in a directory you specify.  That directory is specified in the
file "run" located in the service directory.  It might be /var/log/qmail, but
only you can tell how you installed it.

> - Qmail can't send a message from a form.  I am using Matt's Simple form as a
> test.  It worked with sendmail and now does not work with qmail.

For some reason, lots of people seem to have trouble with this script.
I would suggest that the script is broken, but it works for us.  You'll need
to provide some useful information for us to be able to tell you why it's
failing -- exit codes from the sendmail wrapper and log messages showing the
failure would be best.

Charles

"Todd A. Jacobs" wrote:

> I realize this may sound like a silly question, but I'm trying to wrap my
> head around the whole virtual users facility, and am trying to understand
> whether I can set up virtual users without also setting up virtual
> domains.
>
> In my current setup, all account are real users delivered to
> codegnome.org. I'm also interested in setting up virtual users (i.e. users
> without a login account) that are still part of the same domain as the
> real users (e.g. codegnome.org). Is this possible, and if so, can the
> virtual users and real users all get their pop mail from the same pop
> daemon?
>
> --
> Todd A. Jacobs
> CodeGnome Consulting, LTD

You most certainly can.  The question here is how to authenticate both
users using the same pop server.  To do that, just make a unique user
and group for your virtual users.  Check out
http://freshmeat.net/projects/checklocalpwd/ for a version of
checkpassword that can authenticate in this manner.  I also recommend
setting up all of your real users on the same interface as your virtual
users and then symbolically linking the mail directory to which the
virtual account would normally point to the real user's mail
directories.  Keep inherent permissions in mind here or you'll have a
big security hazard.  If you can't find a secure way of doing that, you
can always just write a shell script which will update the real users'
e-mail directories off from their virtual accounts and either make it a
command or throw it in your crontab.

--
Keith
Network Engineer

"Todd A. Jacobs" wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Peter van Dijk wrote:
>
> > Try .qmail-15dmziMUy-default instead.
>
> It doesn't work, regardless of whether I put it in ~alias or $HOME. I
> still get "no mailbox."
>
> It works fine if I forward to a real user. The point is that I want to
> forward it to another dot-qmail extension.
>
> --
> Todd A. Jacobs
> CodeGnome Consulting, LTD

Are your other aliases working properly (ie. root, postmaster,
mailer-daemon, etc.)?

--
Keith
Network Engineer

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Nick (Keith) Fish wrote:

> Are your other aliases working properly (ie. root, postmaster,
> mailer-daemon, etc.)?

Yes. Any alias pointing to a real user (either local or remote) works
fine. It's only a problem with forwarding to .qmail-ext names.

--
Todd A. Jacobs
CodeGnome Consulting, LTD

        What is the contents of your .qmail-foo-default file?  Did you
remember to put an & before the user name?  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP signature

Hello all,

    Where can I find some documents about how to
write program used by dot qmail to redirect mail.

    Thanks a lot.

Dirk.Ye
2001/3/18

http://www.qmail.org/man/man5/dot-qmail.html