This seems like it would be a common question, but I haven't found a
clear answer.  I would like to merge the stability and speed of
Maildirs with the administrative convenience of VSM (nice, clean,
all-in-one directory tree).  I've tried starting qmail's rc with
something like

   env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
   qmail-start /var/spool/mail/$USER/ splogger qmail

after doing a maildirmake on /var/spool/mail/$USER, but I get the
dreaded Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir error.  I've only set up qmail with
regular vsm support before....  Could someone point me in the right
direction or tell me why I wouldn't want to set this up this way?

thanks
-drew