Brett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've got qmail set up and it's working okay for single messages sent locally
> with qmail-inject from a perl script. I need to set it up for a mailing list
> application but one in which only portions of the mailing list can be
> selected to receive mail based on details about specific list members. (I
> mention this so you realize why I don't just use ezmlm. Ezmlm does not allow
> you to selectively mail certain list members but rather implements an all or
> nothing approach as far as I can tell).

Possible ezmlm solution:  create separate ezmlm lists for each topic/subject
you will mail on, and subscribe users to multiple lists.  This won't work if
you want to mail to multiple topics (users might receive multiple identical
messages) or you can't determine the topic divisions in advance.

> So when I call qmail-inject I want to do so with a filename of people. It
> seems I need to set this QMAILMFTFILE environment variable in order to do
> this. I set it with 'setenv QMAILMFTFILE /../list.txt' and I can then see the
> new env var with 'printenv' but qmail-inject ignores it.

QMAILMFTFILE only controls whether qmail-inject sets the Mail-Followup-To:
header in the outgoing message, nothing else.  And even if it did what
you want to do, the value "/../list.txt" isn't likely to be meaningful.

What you can do instead is something like:
    xargs <list.txt qmail-inject -a < message.txt

(I would have made this example clearer, but I don't want the "useless use
of cat" award)

Charles