At 22:59 20.03.01 -0800, Nick Kocharhook wrote:
>Hello, all. I have been trying to install qmail on a RedHat 6.2 box, but it
>doesn't quite work, and the documentation, FAQs and HOWTOs haven't cleared
>things up.
>
>I was using the qmail HOWTO to guide my installation.
><http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html> Everything went fine, no
>errors. I chose Maildir over mbox. Then I got to step 11. While starting
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/svscan (where I put the script) did start all the qmail
>processes there were still two problems:
>
>1. echo to: username | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject  did nothing.
>2. there was nothing in /var/log/maillog (the mail log specified in
>/etc/syslog.conf)

possible the things will be logged in /var/log mail. I think this is the
default. The entry in syslog can malfunction.

>Then I stumbled across the fact that I needed .qmail files in the home
>directories of users that intended to get mail, so I added those. They are
>properly chowned and each contains only "./Maildir/".

I think thats wrong. The .qmail-files have to be placed under
/var/qmail/alias. The must be named like .qmail-user for example

>*) I started qmail with qmail-start after shutting down svscan. (I tried to
>start svscan after that,

The qmailscanner have a bug. I don't know if there is a correct working
version produced in the meentime. At time I've installed it there was an
error that the setup needs a fix for queue, but it couldn't fixed using the
manual.

Regards,
Ruprecht