qmail Digest 22 Mar 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1311

Topics (messages 59423 through 59503):

Re: no mailbox here(#5.1.1)
        59423 by: Jörgen Persson
        59426 by: Shirish Bhagwat
        59428 by: Jörgen Persson

Re: delete msg in queue
        59424 by: Jörgen Persson

forward problem
        59425 by: Evgeni Dobrev
        59443 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen

Re: no mailbox here(#5.1.1) - don't works!
        59427 by: Massimo Quintini
        59429 by: Jörgen Persson
        59430 by: Massimo Quintini
        59431 by: Johan Almqvist
        59456 by: Kep Brown

Re: qmail large usuage
        59432 by: Federico Edelman Anaya
        59439 by: Peter van Dijk

question
        59433 by: Ciprian Iftode
        59435 by: Kirill Miazine

redundant mail servers
        59434 by: Gopi Sundaram
        59437 by: Mark Delany
        59438 by: J.J. Gallardo
        59440 by: Gopi Sundaram
        59441 by: Peter van Dijk
        59444 by: Mark Delany
        59449 by: Gopi Sundaram
        59450 by: Peter van Dijk
        59451 by: Mark Delany
        59452 by: Peter van Dijk
        59453 by: Gopi Sundaram
        59454 by: Peter van Dijk
        59455 by: Peter van Dijk

Supervise logging - RH 6.2
        59436 by: Iain Morrison
        59486 by: Timothy Legant

Re: virus
        59442 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen

Re: multiple checkpassword routines
        59445 by: Peter Green
        59446 by: Peter Green

First time Install
        59447 by: Carl Jeptha

Re: qmail install troubles
        59448 by: Dave Sill
        59462 by: Nick Kocharhook

handling bounces
        59457 by: Brett
        59459 by: Mark Delany

Qmail + NAT
        59458 by: MIS - Ben Murphy
        59460 by: Laurence Brockman
        59461 by: MIS - Ben Murphy

554 too many hops?
        59463 by: Brad Dameron
        59466 by: Andy Bradford
        59479 by: Charles Cazabon

tcpserver rblsmtpd
        59464 by: Brad Dameron
        59487 by: Timothy Legant

disappearing messages
        59465 by: Gopi Sundaram
        59467 by: Kris Kelley
        59468 by: schoon.amgt.com
        59470 by: schoon.amgt.com
        59473 by: Kris Kelley
        59475 by: schoon.amgt.com
        59483 by: Rodolfo Sampaio

heavy traffic on port 25
        59469 by: Krzysztof Wychowalek
        59471 by: Mark Delany
        59472 by: Jack Thomas
        59474 by: Hubbard, David
        59477 by: Krzysztof Wychowalek
        59478 by: Charles Cazabon

VERP problems
        59476 by: Brett
        59480 by: Charles Cazabon
        59481 by: Brett

what pop3 daemon is better?
        59482 by: keng heng
        59484 by: Charles Cazabon

About dot qmail program!
        59485 by: Silver Dirk
        59494 by: shenjuefei
        59497 by: shenjuefei

sending attachment mail via qmail
        59488 by: Essy Ren
        59489 by: Kep Brown

qmail-send dependent on log?
        59490 by: Sumith
        59492 by: Vincent Schonau

help for qmail+vpopmail+mysql
        59491 by: Chu Zhaowu
        59495 by: shenjuefei

LWQ and POP3
        59493 by: Neafevoc K. Marindale

are there tools to test performance of qmail?
        59496 by: shenjuefei

can procmail use with vpopmail?
        59498 by: shenjuefei

vpopmail : virtual user/domain adressing problem
        59499 by: jcarreiro

filtering with perl
        59500 by: Todd Finney
        59501 by: Pål Fr. Johansen
        59502 by: Peter van Dijk
        59503 by: Kirill Miazine

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 11:19:09AM -0200, Massimo Quintini wrote:

> My QMAIL sends notification "Sorry, no mailbox here by that name.
> (#5.1.1)"  to the sender for any unknown user in my domain.
>
> I WANT THESE MESSAGES IN A MAILBOX (e.g. postmaster)...HOW ???
[snip]

let me rephrase you
> I want these messages in a mailbox (e.g. postmaster)...how ???

Aaah... much better

  # echo postmaster > ~alias/.qmail-default

Jörgen

Hi, what if my .qmail-default already contains following line
=-=-=
| fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb
=-=-=

Can I still add it there?

- shirish

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 05:21:57PM +0530, Shirish Bhagwat wrote:
> Hi, what if my .qmail-default already contains following line
> =-=-=
> | fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb
> =-=-=
>
> Can I still add it there?

depends on the needs -- don't fix it if it's not broken.
Jörgen

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 11:22:37AM -0200, Massimo Quintini wrote:
> With the cmd  qmail-qstat (or qmail-qread) I see the msg in the queue.
> .
> How  can I delete msg in queue (because the recipient is incorrect!!!)
> ???
[snip]

You can find the following hint at www.qmail.org:

  touch -d '1 week ago' on its queue/info file

Jörgen

hi all,

How can one make the qmail delete a message whenever it is forwarded.  Now
the message is left on the server after it is forwarded. I use vmailmgr.

Hope you can help me:

evgeni

+ Evgeni Dobrev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| How can one make the qmail delete a message whenever it is
| forwarded.  Now the message is left on the server after it is
| forwarded. I use vmailmgr.

I know nothing about vmailmgr, and suggest you ask on a mailing list
devoted to that program.  With qmail, the standard way of forwarding
is to just mention the forwarding address in a .qmail file, and then
after the message is forwarded, it will go away unless you also
specified a local delivery in the same .qmail file.  (There are also
programs forward and condredirect for more involved forwarding needs.)
RTFM dot-qmail, forward, cond-redirect, qmail-command.

- Harald

Don't works!!!

1) in ~alias/.qmail-default I had 1 line with |fastforward ....
2) I have added a line with &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
3) I have sent a msg from hotmail to mydomain....

... but it dont works !!!!

I must re-start qmail ????

thanks. Massimo

Shirish Bhagwat wrote:

> Hi, what if my .qmail-default already contains following line
> =-=-=
> | fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb
> =-=-=
>
> Can I still add it there?
>
> - shirish
>
> Jörgen Persson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 11:19:09AM -0200, Massimo Quintini wrote:
> > >
> > > My QMAIL sends notification "Sorry, no mailbox here by that name.
> > > (#5.1.1)"  to the sender for any unknown user in my domain.
> > >
> > > I WANT THESE MESSAGES IN A MAILBOX (e.g. postmaster)...HOW ???
> > [snip]
> >
> > let me rephrase you
> > > I want these messages in a mailbox (e.g. postmaster)...how ???
> >
> > Aaah... much better
> >
> >   # echo postmaster > ~alias/.qmail-default
> >
> > Jörgen

MASSIMO QUINTINI - Osservatorio Astronomico Collurania Teramo (O.A.C.T.) =
Via Mentore Maggini s.n.c. - 64100 TERAMO (Italy)                        =
Tel:39-0861.210490  Fax:39-0861.210492  http://www.te.astro.it           =

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:10:31PM -0200, Massimo Quintini wrote:
> Don't works!!!
>
> 1) in ~alias/.qmail-default I had 1 line with |fastforward ....
> 2) I have added a line with &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 3) I have sent a msg from hotmail to mydomain....
>
> ... but it dont works !!!!

How do you know?? What does the logs say (tm)??
Jörgen

> I must re-start qmail ????
>
> thanks. Massimo
>

> Shirish Bhagwat wrote:
>
> > Hi, what if my .qmail-default already contains following line
> > =-=-=
> > | fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb
> > =-=-=
> >
> > Can I still add it there?
> >
> > - shirish
> >
> > Jörgen Persson wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > let me rephrase you
> > >
> > > Aaah... much better
> > >
> > >   # echo postmaster > ~alias/.qmail-default
> > >
> > > Jörgen
>
> --
> MASSIMO QUINTINI - Osservatorio Astronomico Collurania Teramo (O.A.C.T.) =
> Via Mentore Maggini s.n.c. - 64100 TERAMO (Italy)                        =
> Tel:39-0861.210490  Fax:39-0861.210492  http://www.te.astro.it           =

I  have seen the /var/log/maillog...

.. there is the msgs

1) "Sorry, no mailbox here ....."
2) starting delivery to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED] (the sender)
3) delivery success . Remote_host_said .....

Massimo.

Jörgen Persson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:10:31PM -0200, Massimo Quintini wrote:
> > Don't works!!!
> >
> > 1) in ~alias/.qmail-default I had 1 line with |fastforward ....
> > 2) I have added a line with &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > 3) I have sent a msg from hotmail to mydomain....
> >
> > ... but it dont works !!!!
>
> How do you know?? What does the logs say (tm)??
> Jörgen
>

> > I must re-start qmail ????
> >
> > thanks. Massimo
> >

> > Shirish Bhagwat wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, what if my .qmail-default already contains following line
> > > =-=-=
> > > =-=-=
> > >
> > > Can I still add it there?
> > >
> > > - shirish

> > --
> > ==========================================================================
> > MASSIMO QUINTINI - Osservatorio Astronomico Collurania Teramo (O.A.C.T.) =
> > Via Mentore Maggini s.n.c. - 64100 TERAMO (Italy)                        =
> > Tel:39-0861.210490  Fax:39-0861.210492  http://www.te.astro.it           =
> > ==========================================================================

MASSIMO QUINTINI - Osservatorio Astronomico Collurania Teramo (O.A.C.T.) =
Via Mentore Maggini s.n.c. - 64100 TERAMO (Italy)                        =
Tel:39-0861.210490  Fax:39-0861.210492  http://www.te.astro.it           =

* Massimo Quintini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010321 16:47]:
> I  have seen the /var/log/maillog...
> .. there is the msgs
> 1) "Sorry, no mailbox here ....."
> 2) starting delivery to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED] (the sender)
> 3) delivery success . Remote_host_said .....
> > > Don't works!!!
> > > 1) in ~alias/.qmail-default I had 1 line with |fastforward ....
> > > 2) I have added a line with &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > 3) I have sent a msg from hotmail to mydomain....
> > > ... but it dont works !!!!
> > How do you know?? What does the logs say (tm)??

This, btw, is the expected behaviour. See man dot-qmail:

ERROR HANDLING
       If a delivery instruction fails, qmail-local stops immedi-
       ately and reports failure.  qmail-local handles forwarding
       after all other instructions, so any error in another type
       of delivery will prevent all forwarding.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

One hack is to write a simple shell script, mine is called qmail-aliasemail,
that calls fastforward then runs another process if the user is still not
found.

This is a real simplified version but it should get you started.   To use it
change you .qmail-default to call this script instead of fatforward. This
script will still bounce the messages but get you a copy of them too. If you
want to just absorbe the messages change the exit to exit 0.

#####
MailAgent={put in your path to your delivery wrapper}
Temp_File=/tmp/Temp_Alias_File.$$

cat > $Temp_File
fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb < $Temp_File
Return_Val=$?
if [ "$Return_Val" != "0" ]
then
   $MailAgent {put in desired email address} < $Temp_File
fi
rm $Temp_File

exit $Return_Val

#####

Kep
  _____

  ants.com <http://www.ants.com>  scout <http://www.ants.com/scout>

Kep Brown
Systems, Network and Database Administrator
phone: (805) 560-3781
fax: (805) 560-3991
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

=
> > Via Mentore Maggini s.n.c. - 64100 TERAMO (Italy)
=
> > Tel:39-0861.210490  Fax:39-0861.210492  http://www.te.astro.it
=

MASSIMO QUINTINI - Osservatorio Astronomico Collurania Teramo (O.A.C.T.) =
Via Mentore Maggini s.n.c. - 64100 TERAMO (Italy)                        =
Tel:39-0861.210490  Fax:39-0861.210492  http://www.te.astro.it           =

Peter:
    echo "fs.file-max = 16384" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo "fs.inod-max = 65536" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

Try to re-compile the Qmail with conf-spawn: 509

Add to qmail rc "ulimit -n 4096"

Bye!

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:12:46AM +0000, Federico Edelman Anaya wrote:
> Peter:
>     echo "fs.file-max = 16384" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>     echo "fs.inod-max = 65536" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> Try to re-compile the Qmail with conf-spawn: 509
>
> Add to qmail rc "ulimit -n 4096"

All good and well, except that I'm not looking for any hints :)

Greetz, Peter.

Hi,
    Is there any solution to have a copy of all emails that the server
process, I mean all the emails that users send thru this server, and all the
emails the server receives, and the emails the server routes?
   I tried with the option recordio of tcpserver who starts qmail-send, but
I want a human readable and still useful copy of that emails, not some io
logging; even the attachemnts are fully logged.

PS: qmail + vpopmai + courier-imap

       Ciprian Iftode,

        Professional Systems Romania
        str. Moara de Foc, nr.35, et.5, Iasi, 6600
        tel/fax: +40-32-219907

message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.

http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/admin.html#copies:

Set QUEUE_EXTRA to "Tlog\0" and QUEUE_EXTRALEN to 5 in extra.h. Recompile qmail. Put
./msg-log into ~alias/.qmail-log

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 04:55:47PM +0200, Ciprian Iftode wrote:
> Hi,
>     Is there any solution to have a copy of all emails that the server
> process, I mean all the emails that users send thru this server, and all the
> emails the server receives, and the emails the server routes?
>    I tried with the option recordio of tcpserver who starts qmail-send, but
> I want a human readable and still useful copy of that emails, not some io
> logging; even the attachemnts are fully logged.
>
> PS: qmail + vpopmai + courier-imap
>
>        Ciprian Iftode,
>
>         Professional Systems Romania
>         str. Moara de Foc, nr.35, et.5, Iasi, 6600
>         tel/fax: +40-32-219907
>
> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
> you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
> message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message and
> kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.

--
Kirill

Hello all,

We are currently running sendmail at our site, and are trying to move
to qmail. Since we are making the move, I thought we should also add
some redundancy, so here is my idea:

There will be 2 mail servers, mail1 and mail2

Any email that is received by mail1 should automatically be forwarded
to mail2, and any email that is received by mail2 should be forwarded
to mail1. The only exception to the rule is when they receive messages
from each other.

Thus a user can check their email via IMAP or (shudder) POP from
either mail1 or mail2. If either server goes down, the other one
should be receiving messages. The moment the server comes back up, it
should receive all the messages that the other received during the
down time.

Is this a good way of providing redundancy? Or am I better off with a
different mechanism?

Can qmail be configured this way?

Since I have never set up qmail before, detailed explanations would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Gopi.

--
Gopi Sundaram
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> There will be 2 mail servers, mail1 and mail2
>
> Any email that is received by mail1 should automatically be forwarded
> to mail2, and any email that is received by mail2 should be forwarded
> to mail1. The only exception to the rule is when they receive messages
> from each other.
>
> Thus a user can check their email via IMAP or (shudder) POP from

Why shudder? POP is by far the most reliable service of the two and
much simpler and supported by more clients.

> either mail1 or mail2. If either server goes down, the other one
> should be receiving messages. The moment the server comes back up, it
> should receive all the messages that the other received during the
> down time.
>
> Is this a good way of providing redundancy? Or am I better off with a
> different mechanism?

This is not a very good mechanism particularly. First off, when they
delete an email on mail1, how will the copy on mail2 get deleted?

Second off, it seems that the user will have to know whether mail1 or
mail2 is the server that is available. That's not very user friendly.

> Can qmail be configured this way?

It can, but I doubt anyone will recommend such a setup.

The typical solution is to put the mailboxes of the users onto a
single, very reliable, piece of hardware (made reliable by redundancy
or high quality componentry or both), then use as many front-end
servers as needed to handle your redundancy requirements, load and
budget.

Remember, if the mailboxes are in Maildir format, they can safely be
shared across NFS. A simple configuration might be:

1.      A single high-availability NFS server - pick something that
        supports RAID and has parts that can be replaced quickly and
        easily.

        This doesn't have to be something expensive like a Netapp -
        though they are good for this. It could be something cheap
        like an Intel BSD as long as you have spares on the
        shelf. Don't use Linux for NFS serving - my experience is that
        it's too buggy. Any of the other free Unixen will do the job -
        pick the one you know best.

        Spend as much money on this box as you can.

2.      A number of front end SMTP and POP servers. These front-end servers
        mount the mailboxes from the NFS server. These front-end
        servers don't need a lot of disk - just enough for the
        mailq. Any of the free Unixen will do for this - pick the one
        you know best.

3.      Use the DNS (or a load balancer if you have more money, but I note
        the .edu address) to present these multiple front-end servers
        as a single name/address to your user community. I recommend
        something like smtp.yourdomain and pop.yourdomain.

> Since I have never set up qmail before, detailed explanations would be
> appreciated.

It's not really specific to qmail, but Maildir makes this a much more
viable solution compared to the locking and performance nightmares
associated with V7 mbox format used by sendmail and mail.local.

Regards.

Gopi Sundaram escribió:

> There will be 2 mail servers, mail1 and mail2
>
> Thus a user can check their email via IMAP or (shudder) POP from either
> mail1 or mail2.

How? Your users must configure only "ONE ACCOUNT" on his cliente browser.
Or "user1%mail1" either  "user1%mail2". How you do it this?

http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html

> This is not a very good mechanism particularly. First off, when
> they delete an email on mail1, how will the copy on mail2 get
> deleted?

Good point. As you can see, I haven't put a great deal of thought into
this yet. The idea struck me last night. I probably won't be using
this method.

> Remember, if the mailboxes are in Maildir format, they can safely
> be shared across NFS. A simple configuration might be:

I'm reluctant to move to Maildir until we can get more MUAs to support
them (specifically Pine and Netscape).

> It's not really specific to qmail, but Maildir makes this a much
> more viable solution compared to the locking and performance
> nightmares associated with V7 mbox format used by sendmail and
> mail.local.

I've heard that the maildir format may have scalability issues because
of the number of files that it deals with (bunches of open(), read()
and stat() calls). Is there any truth to this?

--
Gopi Sundaram
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 10:58:06AM -0500, Gopi Sundaram wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2001, Mark Delany wrote (quoting me):
>
> > > Thus a user can check their email via IMAP or (shudder) POP from
> >
> > Why shudder? POP is by far the most reliable service of the two
> > and much simpler and supported by more clients.
>
> http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html

And what is your *own* opinion? I prefer POP because IMAP makes users
leave mail on server, amongst others.

> > Remember, if the mailboxes are in Maildir format, they can safely
> > be shared across NFS. A simple configuration might be:
>
> I'm reluctant to move to Maildir until we can get more MUAs to support
> them (specifically Pine and Netscape).

Uh. You are confused. Are you providing pop+imap or shell services? If
the first, then clients just have to support pop or imap (which they
do). If the last, Maildir patches for Pine exist, and what idiot runs
Netscape on a shellserver?

> > It's not really specific to qmail, but Maildir makes this a much
> > more viable solution compared to the locking and performance
> > nightmares associated with V7 mbox format used by sendmail and
> > mail.local.
>
> I've heard that the maildir format may have scalability issues because
> of the number of files that it deals with (bunches of open(), read()
> and stat() calls). Is there any truth to this?

Yes, Maildirs can get slow when they contain several thousands of
messages.

Depending on your storage system, this may or may not be a problem. A
NetApp has no trouble with it at all. FreeBSD's FFS does slow down
when a Maildir gets *really* big. ReiserFS and XFS probably have no
problem with it.

The performance win compared to mbox is still tremendous, however.

Greetz, Peter.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 10:58:06AM -0500, Gopi Sundaram wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2001, Mark Delany wrote (quoting me):
>
> > > Thus a user can check their email via IMAP or (shudder) POP from
> >
> > Why shudder? POP is by far the most reliable service of the two
> > and much simpler and supported by more clients.
>
> http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html

Right. My question remains. Why "shudder"? This article is 6 years old
and written by an IMAP proponent. Here's a couple of observations:

POP has turned out not be used mainly for "offline" mail processing.

The "offline vs online" model is largely dead these days.

Terry summarizes with: "its (IMAPs) additional complexity over POP
should not be a significant barrier to use."

I can't see how you shudder at POP on that basis. I agree that IMAP is
functionally richer, but that's about the only thing going for it.

> > Remember, if the mailboxes are in Maildir format, they can safely
> > be shared across NFS. A simple configuration might be:
>
> I'm reluctant to move to Maildir until we can get more MUAs to support
> them (specifically Pine and Netscape).

Are you talking about people who log into a shell or access via POP
and IMAP? If the latter, Maildir is transparent. If the former, you
never mentioned this, rather critical point.

> I've heard that the maildir format may have scalability issues because
> of the number of files that it deals with (bunches of open(), read()
> and stat() calls). Is there any truth to this?

This is tiresome FUD.

I can create a scenario that makes mbox look bad just as easily as a
scenario that makes Maildir look bad. Consider whether the FUD applies
to your scenario, not some imagined one created by a marketeer (and
yes geeks are just as guilty of marketing with FUD as the more
traditional salesdroid).

Regards.

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Peter van Dijk wrote (quoting me):

> > http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html
>
> And what is your *own* opinion? I prefer POP because IMAP makes
> users leave mail on server, amongst others.

That is one of the reasons why I prefer IMAP. I don't like leaving my
email lying on the various machines that I check my email from. There
are several other reasons, but are irrelevent to this discussion,
which follows:

> Uh. You are confused. Are you providing pop+imap or shell
> services?

Both. And we have people that run Netscape on the mail server.

> FreeBSD's FFS does slow down when a Maildir gets *really* big.

That's what we have. What is *really big* ?  One of the aforementioned
people had a 200MB mbox (which almost constantly crashed Netscape, and
made Pine loop forever). I'm guessing that that won't be a problem if
converted to maildir. I also read Mark Delany's post that dismisses my
fears of scalability of the maildir format.

Ideally, I would like mail to still be delivered to /var/mail/ in
whatever format, as long as I can get POP/IMAP servers to support it.
Then users can read their email from NFS mounted spools when on our
network, and via IMAP from anywhere else.

I guess if I use the maildir format, setting up redundant mailservers
becomes easy. Here's my understanding:

* equal priority MX records for two servers.
* both servers running qmail, mail stored in an NFS mounted spool dir.
* One or more servers that run IMAP/POP services that people can
  connect to (perhaps through one alias - mail.domain)

Have I got it right?

--
Gopi Sundaram
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:41:27PM -0500, Gopi Sundaram wrote:
[snip]
> I guess if I use the maildir format, setting up redundant mailservers
> becomes easy. Here's my understanding:
>
> * equal priority MX records for two servers.
> * both servers running qmail, mail stored in an NFS mounted spool dir.
> * One or more servers that run IMAP/POP services that people can
>   connect to (perhaps through one alias - mail.domain)
>
> Have I got it right?

Yes.

Our setup adds a seperate shellserver, and combines POP+delivery on
the same set of boxes.

Greetz, Peter.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:41:27PM -0500, Gopi Sundaram wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Peter van Dijk wrote (quoting me):
>
> > > http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html
> >
> > And what is your *own* opinion? I prefer POP because IMAP makes
> > users leave mail on server, amongst others.
>
> That is one of the reasons why I prefer IMAP. I don't like leaving my
> email lying on the various machines that I check my email from. There

POP does this too, if you choose.

> are several other reasons, but are irrelevent to this discussion,
> which follows:
>
> > Uh. You are confused. Are you providing pop+imap or shell
> > services?
>
> Both. And we have people that run Netscape on the mail server.

> That's what we have. What is *really big* ?  One of the aforementioned
> people had a 200MB mbox (which almost constantly crashed Netscape, and

It's not the size of the mailbox so much as the number of mails in the
mailbox. Depending on the file system, anything more than about
2-3,000 mails in a single mailbox will start to slow down a fair
amount.

> made Pine loop forever). I'm guessing that that won't be a problem if
> converted to maildir. I also read Mark Delany's post that dismisses my
> fears of scalability of the maildir format.

The point is that very few Maildirs reach the size where they fail
completely, on some file systems they just get very slow due to the
linear structure of the directory.

Do an experiment: run one of those mbox-to-maildir convert programs
(from www.qmail.org) on your 200MB mailbox - load it into a Maildir
and aim mutt at it and tell us what happens. Tell us how it compares
to pine loading it from mbox. Then delete one of the mails and
exit. Tells us how mutt performs and tell us how pine performs. In
fact do all your normal user interactions on each mailbox type and
share your results with us.

To do this experiment, all you need do is install mutt and download a
perl script. Surely a small price to pay to get some certainty for
yourself.

> Ideally, I would like mail to still be delivered to /var/mail/ in

Why do you want it in /var/mail particularly, apart from the fact that
you're used to it being there? If you're building a box from scratch
that is only a network service, I don't see where this requirement
comes from.

> whatever format, as long as I can get POP/IMAP servers to support it.
> Then users can read their email from NFS mounted spools when on our
> network, and via IMAP from anywhere else.

mbox is woeful across NFS. Try your 200MB mbox on an NFS server for a
while and draw your own conclusions. Remember that each open of an
mbox requires reading the whole mailbox and scanning from "From "
lines - all 200MB of it across the network. Opening a Maildir requires
reading the directory of the Maildir which is typically much smaller.

The idea of NFS mounting Maildir wasn't so that command line people
could get at it, it's so that other network service servers can share
it.

If people are using pine and netscape then can't both of these
programs be configured to acess a POP/IMAP server? In which case they
have no need to see the physical file structure. Once you move them
off the physical file structure onto a network service, you have
*much* greater flexibility.

> I guess if I use the maildir format, setting up redundant mailservers
> becomes easy. Here's my understanding:
>
> * equal priority MX records for two servers.
> * both servers running qmail, mail stored in an NFS mounted spool dir.
> * One or more servers that run IMAP/POP services that people can
>   connect to (perhaps through one alias - mail.domain)
>
> Have I got it right?

Indeed.

Regards.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 06:36:53PM +0000, Mark Delany wrote:
[snip]

> Do an experiment: run one of those mbox-to-maildir convert programs
> (from www.qmail.org) on your 200MB mailbox - load it into a Maildir
> and aim mutt at it and tell us what happens. Tell us how it compares
> to pine loading it from mbox. Then delete one of the mails and
> exit. Tells us how mutt performs and tell us how pine performs. In
> fact do all your normal user interactions on each mailbox type and
> share your results with us.

That experiment is unfair. mutt handles mbox much faster than pine too.

Compare mbox and maildir either both in pine, or both in mutt.

mutt does show how fast Maildir really is, tho. Note that pop3 for
Maildir is another step faster (way faster, actually) than mutt on
Maildir. qmail-pop3d doesn't read headers, so it only needs the
filenames, which means it flies.

pop3 on maildir is *always* faster than pop3 on mbox, dare I say.

Greetz, Peter.

On 21 Mar 2001, Mark Delany wrote (quoting me):

> > Ideally, I would like mail to still be delivered to /var/mail/ in
>
> Why do you want it in /var/mail particularly, apart from the fact
> that you're used to it being there?

I would like all email to be received to approximately the same place.
Can I set up maildirs to be delivered in /var/mail/user/ ?

--
Gopi Sundaram
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:46:23PM -0500, Gopi Sundaram wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2001, Mark Delany wrote (quoting me):
>
> > > Ideally, I would like mail to still be delivered to /var/mail/ in
> >
> > Why do you want it in /var/mail particularly, apart from the fact
> > that you're used to it being there?
>
> I would like all email to be received to approximately the same place.
> Can I set up maildirs to be delivered in /var/mail/user/ ?

Yes, that's quite possible. I posted two solutions for that less than
2 days ago. Check the archives.

Greetz, Peter.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 08:50:46PM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:

> > > Why do you want it in /var/mail particularly, apart from the fact
> > > that you're used to it being there?
> >
> > I would like all email to be received to approximately the same place.
> > Can I set up maildirs to be delivered in /var/mail/user/ ?
>
> Yes, that's quite possible. I posted two solutions for that less than
> 2 days ago. Check the archives.

Hint: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (and 64918).

Greetz, Peter.

Further to my various troubles with Qmail on RH 6.2, I have now managed to
get the SMTP server running with supervise, the problem I have been left
with is as follows!!!

The logging for Qmail is set to use multilog for both qmail-smtp and the
qmail-send programs. Only trouble is that supervise is not able to start
them for some reason so all logging goes to the console.

I have the following structure from LWQ setup in /var/qmail/supervise

located in /var/qmail/supervise/ qmail-smtpd -- /qmail-smtpd/log

The run file for smtpd logging is:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/multilog t \
/var/log/qmail/smtpd

&

qmail-send - /qmail-send/log

The run file for the send part is:

#!bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/setuidgid qmaill /usr/local/bin/multilog t
/var/log/qmail

When I do a /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail stat I get the following message:

qmail-send: up (pid 602) 1290 seconds
qmail-smtpd: up (pid 604) 1290 seconds
qmail-send/log: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
qmail-smtpd/log: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist

Any ideas???

Iain Morrison

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 03:22:32PM -0000, Iain Morrison wrote:
> The logging for Qmail is set to use multilog for both qmail-smtp and the
> qmail-send programs. Only trouble is that supervise is not able to start
> them for some reason so all logging goes to the console.

[snip...]

> Any ideas???

Try this:

$ ls -ld /var/qmail/supervise/*
drwxr-xr-t  4 root  qmail  512 Mar 19 16:32 /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
drwxr-xr-t  4 root  qmail  512 Mar 19 16:40 /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd

The 't' in 'drwxr-xr-xt' means that the directory has the sticky bit
set. Check yours. If it doesn't have that bit set, set it with:

# chmod +t /var/qmail/supervise/*

That will cause svscan to execute the 'run' script in qmail-send/log and
qmail-smtpd/log. I'm not sure if that is enough to connect your logging
output to the multilog input, so if the logging continues to show up on
the console:

# svc -dx /service/qmail-*

Tim

+ "Chrisanthy Carlane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| I received a bounce of seven dwarfs virus like this, so the remote
| mail server rejects our mails. what should I do?

Well, the message originated from 10.10.10.127 which is presumably
within your internal network.  (No Internet host has an address 10.*,
as such network numbers are reserved for internal use.)  You need to
find out why that machine sends out viruses and then deal with it.

- Harald

[ I've taken this off-list since (a) you seem to be the only person helping,
and (b) debugging scripts isn't really on-topic. :-)  ]

* Jörgen Persson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010320 19:04]:
> You can rewind by saving FD3 to an ordinary file. Try this example:

Great!

> I don't know if you mind the file /tmp/pwd or if it is possible to get
> rid of it at all but pop is insecure anyway -- don't forget to create a
> unique file instead (and to remove it after the session).

Right.

> I had the same problem with $HOME/Maildir when I started qmail-pop3d by
> itself...
>
> This example isn't all good since qmail-pop3d terminates directly :)

Here's the latest:

  #!/bin/sh
  exec 0<&3
  cat>/tmp/auth.info

  exec 3</tmp/auth.info
  /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw qmail-pop3d Maildir/
  rc=$?
  echo "rc1: $rc" >> /tmp/debug
  if [ $rc -ne 0 ]; then
          echo "vpopmail failed" >> /tmp/debug
          exec 3</tmp/auth.info
          exec /usr/bin/checkvpw qmail-pop3d Maildir/
  else
          exec 3</tmp/auth.info
          exec /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw qmail-pop3d Maildir/
  fi
  echo "exit: $rc" >> /tmp/debug
  exit "$rc"

Obviously, the ``echo "exit:...'' line and following are never reached,
since both conditions of the if-else result in an exec. So it probably isn't
needed. However, I cannot get an interactive POP session at all. Here's what
happens when I use a vpopmail/vchkpw user:

  (pcg@rome) ~> telnet localhost 1100
  Trying 127.0.0.1...
  Connected to localhost.localdomain.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  +OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  +OK
  pass <censored>
  +OK
  +OK
  Connection closed by foreign host.

  [log]
  rc1: 0

And here's what happens when I use a vmailmgr/checkvpw user:

  (pcg@rome) ~> telnet localhost 1100
  Trying 127.0.0.1...
  Connected to localhost.localdomain.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  +OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  +OK
  pass st0rmfel
  +OK
  Connection closed by foreign host.

  [log]
  rc1: 3
  vpopmail failed

Both times, authentication succeeds, but the connection just dies. Any other
ideas?

BTW, I am really sorry if this is easy stuff, or if I'm wasting your time.
If you need to be doing something else, please let me know and I'll leave
you alone. Otherwise, thank you a whole bunch for your patience! :-)

/pg
--
Peter Green : Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

Oops, sent that last message to the list. Sorry, all.

/pg
--
Peter Green : Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---
Instead of a trap door, what about a trap window? The guy looks out it, and if
he leans too far, he falls out. Wait. I guess that's like a regular window.
 (Jack Handey)

Hi,
I have done the qmail install on a Linux Mandrake Box. I followed the
instructions in LWQ as this is my first mailserver install. Qmail does
start. I done the tests, but cannot seem setup users properly. Root can send
email, email can be sent to the box.
Is there another document or site I can visit for more information?

You have a good day now

Carl A Jeptha

Ruprecht Helms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>possible the things will be logged in /var/log mail. I think this is the
>default. The entry in syslog can malfunction.

He said he's following the HOWTO, which logs to /var/log/qmail using
multilog.

>>Then I stumbled across the fact that I needed .qmail files in the home
>>directories of users that intended to get mail, so I added those.

No, you don't need .qmail unless you want to override the system
default delivery method.

>I think thats wrong. The .qmail-files have to be placed under
>/var/qmail/alias. The must be named like .qmail-user for example

No, these are real users, not aliases.

>>*) I started qmail with qmail-start after shutting down svscan. (I tried to
>>start svscan after that,
>
>The qmailscanner have a bug.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with qmail-scanner.

-Dave

on 3/21/01 9:39 AM, Dave Sill at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> He said he's following the HOWTO, which logs to /var/log/qmail using
> multilog.

Wow! You're right. Looks like I should have done 'ls /var/log' instead of
'rgrep qmail /var/log/*'. ;-)

>>> Then I stumbled across the fact that I needed .qmail files in the home
>>> directories of users that intended to get mail, so I added those.
>
> No, you don't need .qmail unless you want to override the system
> default delivery method.

All right. If I don't need .qmail files in users' directories, why is it
that mail wasn't being delivered without them?

>> I think thats wrong. The .qmail-files have to be placed under
>> /var/qmail/alias. The must be named like .qmail-user for example
>
> No, these are real users, not aliases.

OK, thanks for clearing that up -- I've already got some aliases in that dir
(e.g. .qmail-postmaster).

>>> *) I started qmail with qmail-start after shutting down svscan. (I tried to
>>> start svscan after that,
>>
>> The qmailscanner have a bug.
>
> This has nothing whatsoever to do with qmail-scanner.

Good. But how do I shut it down? (See my original message.)

> -Dave

Maybe what Shirish said is true: "If you follow LWQ steps you probably
wouldn't have any problem." :-) Truth be told, I was going to use LWQ, but I
didn't remember its name, and I found the qmail HOWTO first. *sigh*

--
Nick Kocharhook -- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In qmail-inject, I'm Bcc-ing a LOT of people. What's the best method for
handling bounces? I want to be able to extract a list of addresses into a
file and deal with them later. I can't use ezmlm mainly because this Bcc
list needs to be able to change on the fly (i.e. I can't just setup a static
mailing list with ezmlm and have the bounce unsubscription automated through
that since there's no such thing as a static mailing list in this
situation). I've searched the usual places but can't find too much helpful
info on this. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You can use VERP without using ezmlm. Checkout QMAILINJECT=r as
discussed in the qmail-inject manpage.

Regards.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:33:18PM -0800, Brett wrote:
> In qmail-inject, I'm Bcc-ing a LOT of people. What's the best method for
> handling bounces? I want to be able to extract a list of addresses into a
> file and deal with them later. I can't use ezmlm mainly because this Bcc
> list needs to be able to change on the fly (i.e. I can't just setup a static
> mailing list with ezmlm and have the bounce unsubscription automated through
> that since there's no such thing as a static mailing list in this
> situation). I've searched the usual places but can't find too much helpful
> info on this. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hi All,

Although the problems described below fall in both categories of
networking/firewalling & qmail,
I posted here, in the hope that someone could cast a qmail perspective on
this, in case there
is an obvious way around the problem.

Got an issue with NAT, maybe someone could advise...

I have two small networks both running Qmail.

The first...

...has a single linux firewall. It has a bunch of ip addresses aliased on
the outside interface.
Each of the ip addresses has a service assigned to it, such as qmail-smtp or
qmail-pop on ports 25 and 110
respectively, and using ipmasqadm portfw, they are forwarded to the machines
behind the firewall.

The qmail box behind the firewall talks to the local dns server on the
network and generall works fine.
It receives mail, allows relaying for users etc.

The second...

...has twin RedHat LVS clustering firewall/routers, these provide clustering
services to the network.
Again in a similar fashion to the first network, all ip addresses get bound
to the the current lvs router.
This then uses ipvs to again forward the packets to the relevant internal
hosts.

The problem arises when the qmail box attempts to forward mail to itself.
It does the dns lookup, and resolves the real internet ip which is bound to
the firewall or cluster router,
which is correct. However it is unable to connect to the external ip, as it
is behind the NAT firewall or cluster router.

And unfortunately NAT in RH 6.2 (and others) it would appear does not appear
to allow effectively a NAT'd box to maquerade
out of the NAT router, and then connect to the NAT router port 25, and then
forward back internally.

As such, I need a workaround. Anyone?

I have thought possibly these would be solutions, but none of them exactly
nice...

a) a qmail box outside the nat would do the trick, and have all mail from
the NAT'd qmail box relay through there.
b) put a dns server within the NAT'd network, and set all mx records to the
internal ip.
c) use the program 'redir' to re-forward the packets back still using
ipmasqadm portfw as well.... (tried that didn't work)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben Murphy,
murphx Innovative Solutions

Couldn't you just add the domains that you are talking about to the
~control/smtproutes file?
domain:iptorouteto   is the format.

You could do:
domain.com:192.168.0.23
(Which would force the any mail delivered to domain.com to the private Ip
address)?

Would that work?

--
Laurence Brockman
Unix Administrator

[...]

mmm... thanx will try that out, and respond shortly.

Thanx again.

Ben Murphy
murphx Innovative Solutions

failed_after_I_sent_the_message./Remote_host_said:_554_too_many_hops,_mail_i
s_looping.

Anyone know what can cause this error? Is there a way to stop the loop?

---
Brad Dameron                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Account Executive                               877-663-4349
TSCNet Online Services                                  www.tscnet.com
---

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:32:36 PST, "Brad Dameron" wrote:

> failed_after_I_sent_the_message./Remote_host_said:_554_too_many_hops,_mail_i
> s_looping.
>
> Anyone know what can cause this error? Is there a way to stop the loop?

It means there are too many received lines in a message.  To stop the
loop, look through the headers and figure out where the loop is.

Andy

Brad Dameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> failed_after_I_sent_the_message./Remote_host_said:_554_too_many_hops,_mail_i
> s_looping.
>
> Anyone know what can cause this error? Is there a way to stop the loop?

The remote host refused the message, saying there were too many Recieved:
headers in it.  That might be a real mail loop, or it might be a badly
configured MTA.

Loops in qmail are generally caused by bad smtproutes settings.  Do you
have any entries in smtproutes?

Charles

        Anyone have a good example of using the tcpserver rblsmtpd with qmail?

I am currently using "/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -c 120 -D -x
/mail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u 501 -g 500 0 smt
p /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &" as my
start line in my rc.local file.

        Please let me know what the best way to use the rblsmtpd program is.

Thank you.

---

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:44:33PM -0800, Brad Dameron wrote:

>       Anyone have a good example of using the tcpserver rblsmtpd with qmail?

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -x/var/qmail/tcp.smtp.cdb -R -v -u82 -g81 0 smtp \
    /usr/local/bin/rblsmtpd -r 'relays.mail-abuse.org:Open relay problem - see
<URL:http://www.mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/nph-rss?query=%IP%>' \
        -r dialups.mail-abuse.org -r blackholes.mail-abuse.org \
            /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 2 &

>       Please let me know what the best way to use the rblsmtpd program is.

Get the patch to use A records from www.qmail.org. It's called
ucspi-rss.diff . Apply it and rebuild ucspi-tcp. Use the above command
line (or something similar). Note that, for the relays.mail-abuse.org
list (also known as the RSS), you *must* follow the host name with a
colon and a text string, as above. The %IP% is replaced by the IP
address of the listed host.

> Thank you.

You're welcome. Hope that's helpful.

Tim

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a test-bed installation of Qmail going, and I'm
failing miserably.

Right now, I can send messages out using the machine running qmail as
an smtp server. I can receive local messages correctly. However,
messages from outside to my qmail server are irretrievable lost. They
aren't bounced, and I never receive them.

I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Gopi.

--
Gopi Sundaram
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gopi Sundaram wrote:
> Right now, I can send messages out using the machine running qmail as
> an smtp server. I can receive local messages correctly. However,
> messages from outside to my qmail server are irretrievable lost. They
> aren't bounced, and I never receive them.
>
> I have no idea where to start troubleshooting.

What Do The Logs Say? (tm)

---Kris Kelley

Like with any service running on a server - what do the logs have in
them??

.mark

>----------

Hmm, another acronym?? WDTLS?? :)

.mark

Schoon wrote:
> Hmm, another acronym?? WDTLS?? :)

Clever, but the majority of people you'd throw it at would never get it. :)

---Kris Kelley

Well, it's easier than TMTOWTDI!!

unless($perl_coder) {print "Don't Understand TMTOWTDI"};

:) .mark

>Schoon wrote:
>> Hmm, another acronym?? WDTLS?? :)
>
>Clever, but the majority of people you'd throw it at would never get it. :)
>
>---Kris Kelley

i had this problem, and it was because the home directory of my users was
not owned by them..... (ie home dir of user foo not owned by foo), and the
home dir cant either be world writable...

    []'s

    Tenchi Muyou

Like with any service running on a server - what do the logs have in
them??

.mark

>----------

Dear friends,
I have a server running Qmail as as MTA and about 300 mail
accounts. I realized that I'm experiencing huge amount of incoming
traffic to the port 25, it's like 1 MB per minute, so it slows down my
Internet connection dramatically. This is only incoming traffic, both
outgoing SMTP and POP3 is not more than 10-20 kB per minute.
But this big amount of data doesn't go to the users' mailboxes. It
goes... nowhere? I have no idea what it is actually. Even is
someone would use my server as an open relay, the amount of
incoming and outgoing SMTP packages would be more or less the
same.
If someone has any idea, I would be very grateful for sending them
to me (priv). Thanks in advance.

Krzysztof Wychowalek
ICQ# 34184303
GSM +48600225435
PGP Key ID 0xEA9D2A3C

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 11:30:26PM +0100, Krzysztof Wychowalek wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I have a server running Qmail as as MTA and about 300 mail
> accounts. I realized that I'm experiencing huge amount of incoming
> traffic to the port 25, it's like 1 MB per minute, so it slows down my
> Internet connection dramatically. This is only incoming traffic, both
> outgoing SMTP and POP3 is not more than 10-20 kB per minute.
> But this big amount of data doesn't go to the users' mailboxes. It
> goes... nowhere? I have no idea what it is actually. Even is
> someone would use my server as an open relay, the amount of
> incoming and outgoing SMTP packages would be more or less the
> same.
> If someone has any idea, I would be very grateful for sending them
> to me (priv). Thanks in advance.

What do the logs say? Mail doesn't just "go nowhere".

Regards.

> I have a server running Qmail as as MTA and about 300 mail
> accounts. I realized that I'm experiencing huge amount of incoming
> traffic to the port 25, it's like 1 MB per minute, so it slows down my
> Internet connection dramatically. This is only incoming traffic, both
> outgoing SMTP and POP3 is not more than 10-20 kB per minute.
> But this big amount of data doesn't go to the users' mailboxes. It
> goes... nowhere? I have no idea what it is actually. Even is
> someone would use my server as an open relay, the amount of
> incoming and outgoing SMTP packages would be more or less the
> same.
> If someone has any idea, I would be very grateful for sending them
> to me (priv). Thanks in advance.

> Krzysztof Wychowalek

Is the incoming traffic from a specific IP address? Or Block of IP's?
Are you "sure" it's incoming only?
What do the server logs say?
It could mean a number of things.
Possible DOS attack, someone trying to relay, etc... etc... etc...

Please post the relevant sections of your logs to the list so that the
community can take a look at whats going on for you.

Thanks

Jack Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.portlandmedia.com

Check the logging from your tcpserver on port 25, if
you see a lot of status 256's over and over, like one
to ten per second, then it could be a broken Microsoft
SMTP Service server trying to deliver mail to you.  MS's
SMTP Service tries to send emails without the
qmail-required carriage return line feed (\r\n) on the
end of the lines so the connection is rejected with a
442 (number may be wrong) error, a code to tell the
server to retry again later.  Sometimes these stupid
servers will instead start retrying as often as they
can make connections given the available bandwidth.  One
of my qmail servers is on an OC3 and I was seeing about
10 connections per second from one of these machines
which took up quite a bit of bandwidth.

Here's the MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/9/83.ASP

Dave

No, or at least I cannot see it among thousands of IP's that send
smtp messages to my server.

> > Are you "sure" it's incoming only?
Yes, I use iptraf, and tcpdump. Of total SMTP traffic, 97% is
incoming and 3% is outgoing, which looks very unlikely.

> > What do the server logs say?
The qmail logs don't tell anything about it, only about mail that is
deliverd to mailboxes.

What is more interesting is that even if I stop qmail, the traffic is
still coming to the port 25 in the same amount. :-o

Krzysztof Wychowalek
ICQ# 34184303
GSM +48600225435
PGP Key ID 0xEA9D2A3C

Krzysztof Wychowalek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is more interesting is that even if I stop qmail, the traffic is
> still coming to the port 25 in the same amount. :-o

qmail-smtpd is sometimes started separately, typically under tcpserver.
It won't stop when you stop the main qmail processes.

You'll have to stop it separately, but how to do that depends on how you
started it.  Typically you'll want to kill the tcpserver process running it.

Charles

I found a VERP page (quoted below) and according to that I should touch
~/.qmail-me-owner and ~/.qmail-me-owner-default. Then if I set the
QMAILINJECT environment variable to 'r', I'm ready to go. I call:

echo to:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

and I check the log. The mail is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] not
[EMAIL PROTECTED] as I was lead to believe would occur
automatically. Then when it bounces, it goes to [EMAIL PROTECTED] You see, it
adds that "-" after "me" like it's trying to do the VERP address but then
doesn't add the noone info. I know I'm messing up a step (perhaps several)
but I don't know where. Anyone? I'm humbled by all your linux/qmail/computer
stuff in general knowledge. Thanks again.

VERP page I used as guidance: ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/proto/verp.txt
and an excerpt:

   Making VERPs work requires two pieces of local software support.
   First: it must be easy to modify the outgoing sender address
   separately for each envelope recipient. For example, with one mailer,
   qmail, a user can simply touch ~/.qmail-list-owner and
   ~/.qmail-list-owner-default to apply VERPs to user-list.

   Second, and more important: it must be easy to identify a collection
   of addresses, such as djb-sos-owner-*, and send all mail for those
   addresses to one place, while preserving the * information. Under
   qmail, all user-list-owner-* mail will be sent to the user once he
   touches ~/.qmail-list-owner-default. Sending the mail through an
   automated bounce-handling program is just as easy.

Brett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I found a VERP page (quoted below) and according to that I should touch
> ~/.qmail-me-owner and ~/.qmail-me-owner-default. Then if I set the
> QMAILINJECT environment variable to 'r', I'm ready to go. I call:
>
> echo to:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>
> and I check the log. The mail is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] not
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] as I was lead to believe would occur
> automatically.

VERP changes the envelope sender, not the recipient.  The envelope sender

Charles

Yes, I actually did realize that much. I just got mixed up at some point
when I was writing this email. So my problem is just that the return address
is getting set to [EMAIL PROTECTED] rather than
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I found a VERP page (quoted below) and according to that I should touch
> ~/.qmail-me-owner and ~/.qmail-me-owner-default. Then if I set the
> QMAILINJECT environment variable to 'r', I'm ready to go. I call:
>
> echo to:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>
> and I check the log. The mail is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] not
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] as I was lead to believe would occur
> automatically.

VERP changes the envelope sender, not the recipient.  The envelope sender

Charles

Hi, I just wonder which pop3 server has the high performance to handle large amount of emails transaction (>10000 emails) a day? The qpopper, wu-pop3 (come with the wu-imap), and etc....

keng heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I just wonder which pop3 server has the high performance to handle large
> amount of emails transaction (>10000 emails) a day? The qpopper, wu-pop3
> (come with the wu-imap), and etc....

qmail-pop3d can easily handle this kind of load.  Run it from tcpserver,
log through multilog, and you'll be fine.

10k messages a day is actually not a lot of traffic -- even if you handle it
all over just 8 business hours, it's only one message every three seconds.

Charles

Hello all,

    I write a program use C/C++ language, and put its path into a dot qmail file like
this:

    |/path/to/my/program/getmailcontent

    But I get nothing but headers. So I need urs help how to get the whole mail
content from
this environment.

    Thanks a lot.

Dirk.ye
2001/3/23

can u send me your program? I think u have mistake in useing stream IO or read
function .

can this program work?

________________________________

char buffer[1024];

FILE *pFile;
pFile = popen("/var/qmail/bin/forward [EMAIL PROTECTED]","w");
if (!pFile) err_sys("error open pipe file");

while(fgets(stdin,buffer,sizeof(buffer)-1))
    fputs(buffer,pFile);

if (pclose(pFile)) err_sys("error close pipe");
exit(0);
_______________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

However, messages sent to that test-anonymizer@ address come through
with neither header altered.

Can someone put me on the right track?

thanks,
Todd

UNSUBSCRIBE

-Pa°L

}

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

However, messages sent to that test-anonymizer@ address come through
with neither header altered.

Can someone put me on the right track?

thanks,
Todd

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 05:21:52AM -0500, Todd Finney wrote:
[snip]
> I have confirmed that the messages are actually hitting the script by
> changing the exit code to 100 and catching the bounce.
>
> The script works as expected from the command line:
>
> [alias@sonata alias]$ /usr/local/bin/ezmlm/anonymizer.pl
> here
> here
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

qmail doesn't read your output to reinject it. You'll have to reinsert
the message to go to a second address that does the second part of
your .qmail

Greetz, Peter.

You first submit a message to the perl prog, it does its stuff and happily exits
without doing something with the content
What if you open a pipe from the program to /usr/local/bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-send
'/home/list/test'?

something like

#!/usr/bin/perl
my $from = 'From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]';
my $list = 'To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]';
open PIPE, '|/usr/local/bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-send /home/list/test';
while (<>) {
    s/From:\s.+$/$from/io;
    s/To:\s.+$/$list/io;
    print PIPE $_;
}
close PIPE;

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 05:21:52AM -0500, Todd Finney wrote:
> I've been thrashing at this for a couple of hours, and I'm starting to
> wonder if I'm even on the right track.
>
> The short question:
> I'd like to strip a few headers from messages sent to a particular
> address, for the purpose of setting up a anonymous remailer for a
> mailing list.  I have a small perl script that I think should do this,
> but it isn't working.   Is this possible without qmail-filter?  It
> seems like it should be, but I'm starting to doubt it.

There's more than one way to do it :)

--
Kirill