ok, here is what i did to my system...

        i am using qmail-1.03 , vpopmail-4.9.4, mysql-3.23.33

        there is no problem installing the qmail package using maildir , i
already test the mail delivery locally and it works.

        my configure script for mysql :
                ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
                make
                make install
                ./mysql_installdb
                ./mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'

        then i edit the vmysql.h file and change the mysql password 'gipgap'
to the one i created above 'newpassword'.

        here is my configure script for vpopmail :
                ./configure --enable-mysql=y
--enable-sqlincdir=/usr/local/mysql/include
                --enable-sqllibdir=/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
--enable-ucspi-dir=/usr/local/src/ucspi-tcp-0.88
                --enable-tcpserver-file=/etc/tcp.smtp
--enable-qmaildir=/usr/local/src/qmail-1.03
                --enable-tcprules-prog=/usr/local/bin/tcprules
--enable-apop=n

                make
                make install-strip

        there is no problem compiling vpopmail,
        The problem arise, when i execute the "vadddomain" command , i got
this message " could not open assign file ".
        but the new domains directory still created under the
/home/vpopmail/domains directory. even when i execute the
        "vadduser " command , the user directory is created under the
virtual domains directory. so for a moment i thought that
        everything was properly installed.
        but when i when i try to pop my newly created virtual email ,
                localhost# telnet localhost 110
                Trying 127.0.0.1...
                Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'.
                +OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                +OK
                pass passsword
                -ERR authorization failed
                Connection closed by foreign host.
                localhost#

        any idea about what might my problem is ?
        thanks.

        best regards,

        roy