qmail Digest 26 Mar 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1315

Topics (messages 59658 through 59695):

Re: [announce]  oSpam version 0.01 - new project started
        59658 by: Stefan Laudat
        59659 by: Olivier M.

Re: Forwarding to another system.
        59660 by: Alexander Jernejcic
        59663 by: schoon.amgt.com

E-mail Addresses Not Converted to Lowercase Letters
        59661 by: Hans Edwards
        59671 by: Russell Nelson

Re: Attachments via /usr/bin/sendmail
        59662 by: Paul J. Schinder
        59666 by: Todd Goldenbaum

QMQP Problems
        59664 by: Tyrone Mills
        59673 by: Russell Nelson

qmailadmin master passwd?
        59665 by: Bill Parker

File permissions needed to run qfilter
        59667 by: Jean-Christophe Debosschère

Re: Sending attachments with qmail-inject
        59668 by: Charles Cazabon
        59669 by: Todd Goldenbaum
        59677 by: Kirill Miazine
        59678 by: Kirill Miazine

Re: a tool/script to print the biggest mail servers in queue
        59670 by: James R Grinter

Re: Log entry: success: did_0+0+0???
        59672 by: Russell Nelson

Unable to authenticate through POP3
        59674 by: Sunil .

very large queue list (qmail-qread)
        59675 by: Ross Davis - Data Anywhere
        59676 by: Andy Bradford

local mail routing help
        59679 by: Jean
        59680 by: Brett Randall
        59683 by: Jean
        59684 by: Brett Randall

Re: authorization failed
        59681 by: Roy Naldo
        59682 by: Kirill Miazine

qmail as forward mail server (limit number of connections)
        59685 by: Iñigo Martínez Lasala

forward
        59686 by: Yves Caetano
        59687 by: Kirill Miazine
        59688 by: Gerrit Pape
        59690 by: Yves Caetano
        59692 by: Kirill Miazine
        59693 by: Brett Randall
        59694 by: Yves Caetano
        59695 by: Kirill Miazine

About Quota
        59689 by: M. cnew

quota message...
        59691 by: ONE

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> 2 main features:
>
> 1) use it for your usenet postings: as From: address, you get
>    an "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" address, which will be
>    valid one week. After this delay, the mails sent to this
>    address will be put in "quarantaine", waiting for a confirmation
>    from the author, which will never happen if it is a spam.
>
> 2) use it as your main email address: put all your friends
>    addresses in your accepted.txt file. If somebody which isn't
>    in the list send you a mail, he will get a small and unique
>    confirmation request, and then the mail(s) will be delivered
>    transparentely.

If the first feature is quite useful, I find the second one rather nazi :)
I don't imagine my boss being asked to confirm he doesn't spam me from now on...
I'd rather use rblsmtpd with qmail for checking the maps.vix.com's rbl database.
And I'm actually doing it.

--
Stefan Laudat
CCNA & CCAI

Hi Stefan,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 02:12:54PM +0300, Stefan Laudat wrote:
> If the first feature is quite useful, I find the second one rather nazi :)

:)  then [EMAIL PROTECTED] is "nazi", like you say. The first time you
send a mail there, you get something like that in return:

Subject: Request for Confirmation [automatic reply] [5526ba3c03d2348cc94e2b8947e61905]
From: "PHP Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Mar 2001 22:45:23 -0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

This is an automatic reply to an email you sent to the PHP Group.

Please verify your email address by simply replying to this email.
Your email address will then be stored so that future emails will be
accepted instantly.

Address to be registered: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a simple form of spam protection which aims at saving the valuable
time of the volunteers working on the PHP Project.

Sorry for the extra hassle, and thank you.

That is exactely what I want for my account.

> I don't imagine my boss being asked to confirm he doesn't spam me from now on...

well, you can add his address to the accept.txt file directely... :)
I'll add a maildir and addressbook parser to get all the current addresses,
this way all your friends won't event notice that you are using oSpam...

> I'd rather use rblsmtpd with qmail for checking the maps.vix.com's rbl database.
> And I'm actually doing it.

yes, the rblsmtpd is als helpful, but not enough IMHO.

Regards,
Olivier
 Olivier Mueller - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - PGPkeyID: 0E84D2EA - Switzerland
qmail projects: http://omail.omnis.ch  -  http://webmail.omnis.ch

PGP signature

hi,

Roger Walker wrote:

>       I need to forward all mail from the mailhost (2 domains) which is
> on the public LAN through a VPN to an Exchange box for actual
> distribution
> (The latter part is not my choice or decision.).
..snip..
>       What would be the most effective way to do so? The QMAIL box is
> only there to receive everything from the Internet and send it to the
> Exchange box.

i would suggest the smtproutes file with the following content:

domain-a.xyz:ip.of.exchange.box
domain-b.xyz:ip.of.exchange.box

if you want to let your ISP's mailserver relay your outgoing
mail, the last line of your smtproutes should be

:smtp.ofyour.isp

this results in a mail hub that will happily forward any mail
to your internal m$ exchange server. don't forget to put the
domains into rcpthosts and to set up tcp.smtp properly.
you really do not want to be an open relay - do you?

hope that helps
;) alexander

Roger,

        Do a quick search in the qmail archives - your answer awaits!! I have
nearly the same setup - qmail server outside and Exchange 4.0 inside....
I use pullmail to poll the qmail server via pop3 and it get sent to the
Exchange server via smtp. Works pretty well.

HTH

.mark

>----------

I've discovered a problem that QMail is having and need some help
on finding out why this is happening and how to fix the problem ...

QMail is supposed to convert email addresses it receives to all
lower-case letters.  Our installation is NOT doing that.

To prove this to myself and others, I did the following: I sent an
email to one of my qmail e-mail accounts from my work account -
BUT, purposely used uppercase letters in the address:

For example, I made [EMAIL PROTECTED] into:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When I checked my [EMAIL PROTECTED] account, the email I
sent from my work account was not there.  When I logged into the
postmaster account for my domain, the mail I tried to send to my
"hans" account was there...undelivered to me.

I've skimmed through the QMail book I bought to confirm that QMail
is supposed to be converting addresses to lower-case, but I
couldn't find any information about what to do if QMail is NOT
converting.

This has caused a BIG problem for my customers over the past
couple of months and I have been trying to figure out what the hell
was going on; why they weren't receiving email.  Then I
remembered to check the postmaster accounts and there were a
ton of messages there...all with Capital letters in the addresses.

Can anyone help me with a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Hans

Hans Edwards writes:
 > QMail is supposed to convert email addresses it receives to all
 > lower-case letters.  Our installation is NOT doing that.

qmail-getpw lowercases the name before looking it up in /etc/passwd.
If you're using a qmail-getpw replacement, then it may or may not
lowercase the name.  qmail-lspawn lowercases usernames before it looks
them up in users/assign.  Other delivery methods hook onto
~alias/.qmail-default.  They may or may not ignore case.

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got an

>Hmmm...I thought I had it, but not quite. For some
>reason, my Perl script is outputting to the screen,
>not my mailwrapper. Are there any limitations on what
>you can send to the mailwrapper? My program is below:
>
>#!/usr/bin/perl
>
>$fileout = system("/bin/cat
>/home/www/schnarff/images/chili.jpg |
>/usr/bin/uuencode /home/www/schnarff/chili.jpg");
>$bound = "---bound";
>
>open (MAIL, "|/usr/bin/sendmail -t");
>print MAIL "To: alexlefevre\@yahoo.com\n";
>print MAIL "Mime-Version: 1.0\n";
>print MAIL "Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
>boundary=\"$bound\"; charset=\"iso-8859-1\"\n";
>print MAIL "$bound\n";
>print MAIL "Content-Type: image/jpg;
>name=\"chili.jpg\"\n";
>print MAIL "Content-Disposition: attachment;
>filename=\"chili.jpg\"";
>print MAIL "Content-Transfer-Encoding: uuencode";
>print MAIL "$fileout";
>close MAIL;

This may be a little late, but why don't you simply use one of the
many Perl modules that deal with MIME and know how to do it right,
for example, MIME::Lite?  Go to <http://search.cpan.org/>.

>Alex

>http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
> >Hmmm...I thought I had it, but not quite. For some
> >reason, my Perl script is outputting to the screen,
> >not my mailwrapper. Are there any limitations on what
> >you can send to the mailwrapper? My program is below:
> >
> >#!/usr/bin/perl
> >
> >$fileout = system("/bin/cat
> >/home/www/schnarff/images/chili.jpg |
> >/usr/bin/uuencode /home/www/schnarff/chili.jpg");
> >$bound = "---bound";
> >
> >open (MAIL, "|/usr/bin/sendmail -t");
> >print MAIL "To: alexlefevre\@yahoo.com\n";
> >print MAIL "Mime-Version: 1.0\n";
> >print MAIL "Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
> >boundary=\"$bound\"; charset=\"iso-8859-1\"\n";
> >print MAIL "$bound\n";
> >print MAIL "Content-Type: image/jpg;
> >name=\"chili.jpg\"\n";
> >print MAIL "Content-Disposition: attachment;
> >filename=\"chili.jpg\"";
> >print MAIL "Content-Transfer-Encoding: uuencode";
> >print MAIL "$fileout";
> >close MAIL;
>
> This may be a little late, but why don't you simply use one of the
> many Perl modules that deal with MIME and know how to do it right,
> for example, MIME::Lite?  Go to <http://search.cpan.org/>.

Would the above solution (and the equiv. using MIME::Lite apply to
qmail-inject as well?  I'm trying to send attachments from a perl
script, too.

thanks,
todd

I'm having some difficulties getting QMQP working in my environment. Here's
the setup:

I've got a web server that needs to send E-Mails (confirmation e-mails,
etc), so I set it up as a QMQP client. I've followed the instructions at
http://cr.yp.to/qmail/mini.html for both the client and the server.

When I do a simple test on the web server: ls | mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I get the following error: qmail-inject: fatal: connection to mail server
rejected (#4.4.1)

So I've been pulling my hair out, looking for where I went wrong in the
configuration. It seems to indicate that the problem is on the server side.
Here are the contents of some relevant config files:

Mail Server /etc/tcp.qmqp       :               216.232.111.156:allow
                                                :deny

Mail Server /etc/tcp.smtp:                      127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

216.232.111.156:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

Mail Server /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts:               mail.itsallgeek.net
                                                www.itsallgeek.net

Mail Server /var/qmail/control/locals:          mail.itsallgeek.net
                                                www.itsallgeek.net

Web Server /var/qmail/control/idhost:           www.itsallgeek.net

Web Server /var/qmail/control/qmqpservers:      216.232.111.154

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyrone
UNIX is user-friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are...

winmail.dat

Tyrone Mills writes:
 > I'm having some difficulties getting QMQP working in my environment. Here's
 > the setup:

 > I get the following error: qmail-inject: fatal: connection to mail server
 > rejected (#4.4.1)

Are you actually running qmqpd?

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got an
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | opinion, and he's not
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | afraid to share it!

Hello All,

        How does one change the master password on qmail-admin
(the web based interface for vpopmail)?  I don't find any man
pages for vpopmail?  I'm running qmailadmin-0.26c and vpopmail-3.4.11
if that helps at all?

        Also, how difficult is it to upgrade to the latest versions
of these two packages w/out breaking anything which is currently
running well?

-Bill

Hi all,

Could someone please tell me exactly what are the permissions (+
UID/GID) I have to set for :

/var/qmail/qfilter                         (directory)

/var/qmail/qfilter/tmp                 (directory)
  (needed to compile qfilter as I read in qfilter's README file)

/var/qmail/qfilter/qfilter-test      (file)
  containing :
    #!/usr/sh
    exec /usr/bin/qmail-qfilter /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -n

/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue     (file)

/usr/bin/qmail-qfilter                 (file)

I searched solutions in archives but I jumped from errors to errors... now I'm lost :-(

TIA

Jean-Christophe

Todd Goldenbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am using perl to construct and send qmail messages, and I've found it very
> easy with qmail-inject.  But I'm confused about attachments... I found this
> suggestion from the archives of this list:
>
> % cat {filename} | uuencode {filename} | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[...]

Install mutt.  Then just do the following, to create MIME-type file
attachments:

echo "This is the message body.
It can have multiple lines." \
  | mutt -a /path/to/file1 -a /path/to/file2 recipient1 recipient2 ...

Charles

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Charles Cazabon wrote:

> Todd Goldenbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I am using perl to construct and send qmail messages, and I've found it very
> > easy with qmail-inject.  But I'm confused about attachments... I found this
> > suggestion from the archives of this list:
> >
> > % cat {filename} | uuencode {filename} | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
>
> Install mutt.  Then just do the following, to create MIME-type file
> attachments:
>
> echo "This is the message body.
> It can have multiple lines." \
>   | mutt -a /path/to/file1 -a /path/to/file2 recipient1 recipient2 ...

wow, and then if qmail is installed i guess that's what mutt would use to
actually send it?

todd

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 05:45:01PM -0500, Todd Goldenbaum wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Charles Cazabon wrote:
>
> > Todd Goldenbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am using perl to construct and send qmail messages, and I've found it very
> > > easy with qmail-inject.  But I'm confused about attachments... I found this
> > > suggestion from the archives of this list:
> > >
> > > % cat {filename} | uuencode {filename} | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > [...]
> >
> > Install mutt.  Then just do the following, to create MIME-type file
> > attachments:
> >
> > echo "This is the message body.
> > It can have multiple lines." \
> >   | mutt -a /path/to/file1 -a /path/to/file2 recipient1 recipient2 ...
>
> wow, and then if qmail is installed i guess that's what mutt would use to
> actually send it?

Yeah, to be absolutely sure add following to your .muttrc:

set sendmail="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject"

--
Kirill

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 09:16:44PM -0500, Todd Goldenbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using perl to construct and send qmail messages, and I've found it very
> easy with qmail-inject.  But I'm confused about attachments... I found this
> suggestion from the archives of this list:

Did you try MIME::Tools? Check your nearest CPAN mirror for more info. Or
run following:

perl -MCPAN -e 'readme("MIME::Tools")'

--
Kirill

"Simon K. Grabowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have noticed that whenever a large mail server is down
> (i.e. mail.com or yahoo.com) queue gets much bigger.
> This is normal and understandable, but sometimes a huge
> queue lags message delivery to mail servers that are working okay.

Yup, been there, seen that.. too frequently, sadly.

> Is there a tool / script that'd print the biggest mail servers
> in queue. i.e. in a list...
> yahoo.com    5684 (messages in queue)
> mail.com    1243 etc.
>
> I know that postfix has a tool that does that...
>
> What about qmail?

I've not taken it as far as pulling out all the domains, but I have a
few scripts that I use on a regular basis as follows. These are not
models of efficiency, but they do the job:

qusers:
  #!/bin/sh
  # show number of messages queued up per address
  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qread | grep remote | grep -v done | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

qyahoo:
  #!/bin/sh
  # summarise number of messages queued for a domain
  qusers | awk '$3 ~ /@yahoo\./ { sum=sum+$1 } END { print sum }'

Just for you, here's a freshly written script that counts things by
domain part. It doesn't attempt to establish what mail server they're
queued for (qmail doesn't store that information handily, one would
have to go through the log files and try and deduce it from the
information):

qdomains:
  #!/bin/sh
  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qread | nawk '$1 ~ /remote/ { sub(/^.*@/,"",$2);
domains[$2]=domains[$2]+1 } END { for ( domain in domains ) { print domains[domain],
domain; } }' | sort -n

hope that helps,

James.

Sam Laffere writes:
 > delivery 28: success: did_0+0+0/
 >
 > and the messages are nowhere to be found.

Yup.  qmail is telling you that it didn't deliver to a mailbox, didn't
forward the mail, and didn't run a program delivery.

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got an
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | opinion, and he's not
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | afraid to share it!

I managed to install QMail for the first time 2 weeks back.
I also installed the utilities available at inter7.com. They include
vpopmail, qmailadmin and sqwebmail.

I tried retrieving my mails using pop3 with my ms outlook client and they
gave me an error saying something like "invalid password, authentication
error...blah...blah"

I am very sure that the password i have been trying is correct because i am
able to login to my mail account using sqwebmail's web interface client.
Everything seems to be working fine except for this.

Currently, i am only able to send and retrieve mails using sqwebmail only. I
also installed this "checkpassword" thing after trying out some online help.
It didn't work either.

Please help.
Regards
Sunil

when I run qmail-qread I get 108,000 lines of emails, most of which have
sent.  When I run qmail-qstat is says that there typically about 250 emails
that in queue.

Is that normal to have that may lines returned from qmail-qread?

qmail-clean is running and is started along with the other processes.

I have qmHandle that really helps to see what is in the queue, but is there
another way to get all of the items that are waiting to be delivered and all
of the bounces, with the reason that things are being bounced?

Right now the only way I can tell what is up with an email when it is not
working is to look in the log, run qmHandle and check the bounce directory.

I am using vpopmail and only processing about 40,000 emails a day.

Thanks in advance.

Thus said "Ross Davis - Data Anywhere" on Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:53:02 PST:

> when I run qmail-qread I get 108,000 lines of emails, most of which have
> sent.  When I run qmail-qstat is says that there typically about 250 emails
> that in queue.
>
> Is that normal to have that may lines returned from qmail-qread?

Yep, however, you might want to only show those that haven't been
delivered yet:

qmail-qread | grep -v done

Andy
 11:17pm  up 39 days, 23:20,  6 users,  load average: 1.54, 1.73, 1.70

Can someone help me with local mail routing?  My setup is as follows.

servers= server1.mydomain.com & server2.mydomain.com
server1's smtproutes file = mydomain.com:server2.mydomain.com
server1's locals file = server1.mydomain.com
server1's me file = server1.mydomain.com

I want server1 to route all mydomain.com email to server2, but it's not working.  With the above setup, everything stays on server1, nothing routed to server2.  What other files do I need to look at?

TIA,
jean

Make sure server1.mydomain.com is accepting mail for
server1.mydomain.com in the rcpthosts file, and that
server2.mydomain.com (is it a qmail box?) is allowed to receive mail
for server2.mydomain.com and mydomain.com . Restart qmail on each box
and it should work. By the way, if no mail is stored on server 1, you
shouldn't need the locals file.

Brett.

--
"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to

- Western Union internal memo, 1876

Thanks for that post, Brett.

> Make sure server1.mydomain.com is accepting mail for
> server1.mydomain.com in the rcpthosts file, and that

Both servers are open relays.  server1 is in dmz and server2 behind
firewall.  server1 will get a rcpthosts file as soon as it starts forwarding
to server2.

> server2.mydomain.com (is it a qmail box?) is allowed to receive mail
> for server2.mydomain.com and mydomain.com . Restart qmail on each box

server2.mydomain.com has the following locals file.
    server2.mydomain.com:mydomain.com
    mydomain.com:mydomain.com

> and it should work. By the way, if no mail is stored on server 1, you
> shouldn't need the locals file.

Didn't think of that.  I wonder if that's the cause.  I'll zap it and see
what happens.

<snip>

> server2.mydomain.com has the following locals file.
> server2.mydomain.com:mydomain.com
> mydomain.com:mydomain.com

Is this really a locals file? Try:

mydomain.com
server2.mydomain.com

(ie without the :mydomain.com's)

Brett.
--
"The 'Internet' cannot be removed from your desktop, would you like to
delete the 'Internet' now?"

- MS Windows 95

        ok, here is what i did to my system...

        i am using qmail-1.03 , vpopmail-4.9.4, mysql-3.23.33

        there is no problem installing the qmail package using maildir , i
already test the mail delivery locally and it works.

        my configure script for mysql :
                ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
                make
                make install
                ./mysql_installdb
                ./mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'

        then i edit the vmysql.h file and change the mysql password 'gipgap'
to the one i created above 'newpassword'.

        here is my configure script for vpopmail :
                ./configure --enable-mysql=y
--enable-sqlincdir=/usr/local/mysql/include
                --enable-sqllibdir=/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
--enable-ucspi-dir=/usr/local/src/ucspi-tcp-0.88
                --enable-tcpserver-file=/etc/tcp.smtp
--enable-qmaildir=/usr/local/src/qmail-1.03
                --enable-tcprules-prog=/usr/local/bin/tcprules
--enable-apop=n

                make
                make install-strip

        there is no problem compiling vpopmail,
        The problem arise, when i execute the "vadddomain" command , i got
this message " could not open assign file ".
        but the new domains directory still created under the
/home/vpopmail/domains directory. even when i execute the
        "vadduser " command , the user directory is created under the
virtual domains directory. so for a moment i thought that
        everything was properly installed.
        but when i when i try to pop my newly created virtual email ,
                localhost# telnet localhost 110
                Trying 127.0.0.1...
                Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'.
                +OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                +OK
                pass passsword
                -ERR authorization failed
                Connection closed by foreign host.
                localhost#

        any idea about what might my problem is ?
        thanks.

        best regards,

        roy