qmail Digest 27 Mar 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1316

Topics (messages 59696 through 59785):

procmail
        59696 by: MOkondo
        59697 by: Kirill Miazine
        59701 by: pratibha
        59702 by: pratibha
        59761 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59763 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59773 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59781 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com

qmail+ldap
        59698 by: Luka Gerzic
        59703 by: Henning Brauer
        59744 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59750 by: Henning Brauer
        59753 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        59757 by: Henning Brauer
        59762 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com

forward mail from one domain to another.
        59699 by: Iñigo Martínez Lasala
        59705 by: Charles Cazabon
        59708 by: Iñigo Martínez Lasala
        59710 by: Charles Cazabon
        59760 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59764 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com

Re: quota message...
        59700 by: Robert Sander
        59768 by: teng.materials.gov.cn
        59783 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com

Re: Sending attachments with qmail-inject
        59704 by: Charles Cazabon
        59766 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59767 by: Todd Goldenbaum

Re: lost??
        59706 by: Tom Beer
        59769 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com

Re: Qmail  + pop3d
        59707 by: Bill Andersen

Re: redundant mail servers
        59709 by: Markus Stumpf

Using DRAC with qmail?
        59711 by: Steven Katz

VERP message handling
        59712 by: Alex Kramarov

Multi RCPT
        59713 by: Iñigo Martínez Lasala
        59715 by: Charles Cazabon
        59717 by: Alex Kramarov
        59718 by: Charles Cazabon
        59720 by: Alex Kramarov

moving from post.office to qmail
        59714 by: bmcalpine.macconnect.com

Logging
        59716 by: Jeremy Suo-Anttila
        59721 by: nolan.celery.tssi.com

Symbolic link to datemail?
        59719 by: Matt Simonsen
        59722 by: Charles Cazabon
        59723 by: Matt Simonsen
        59724 by: Charles Cazabon
        59725 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        59726 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        59727 by: Matt Simonsen
        59728 by: Matt Simonsen
        59729 by: Matt Simonsen
        59730 by: Timothy Mayo
        59731 by: Matt Simonsen
        59732 by: Ian Lance Taylor
        59733 by: Timothy Mayo

how can i run qmail on a port that is not 25 under tcpserver?
        59734 by: Linux!audimed
        59736 by: Charles Cazabon
        59737 by: tc lewis
        59746 by: Henning Brauer

alias
        59735 by: The Beast
        59759 by: Greg White
        59778 by: namery

ok .ok I answer myself excuse me please. RE: how can i run qmail on a port that is not
25
        59738 by: Lucas

Taking too long logging via POP
        59739 by: Neafevoc K. Marindale
        59742 by: Olivier M.
        59743 by: Charles Cazabon
        59749 by: Henning Brauer

Re: forward
        59740 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59741 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59745 by: Nick (Keith) Fish
        59775 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59776 by: Brett Randall
        59777 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com
        59779 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com

Delivered Messages staying in queue
        59747 by: Bill Crowley
        59748 by: Mark Delany
        59751 by: Nick (Keith) Fish
        59752 by: Peter van Dijk
        59754 by: Nick (Keith) Fish
        59755 by: Mark Delany

Re: I am confused the use of defaulthost and envnoathost
        59756 by: Uong, Hoang D

can't send remotely
        59758 by: Brett

About Quota
        59765 by: inter7.mail.delanet.com

postings messed up
        59770 by: Kirill Miazine

qmail and sms
        59771 by: Essy Ren

Re: local mail routing help
        59772 by: Jean

serial mail
        59774 by: lkhanna.hughes-ecomm.com

Tcpserver
        59780 by: Sumith
        59782 by: Robin S. Socha

Secondary SMTP-server
        59784 by: Andreas Grip
        59785 by: James Raftery

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am trying to filter email using procmail.
what i was doing put a line below on ~/.qmail file:

| preline procmail

The result is filtered emails delivered to ~/Mail/anyfile (one file)
but unfiltered email delivered to /var/spool/mail/

my question is:
How to make procmail work with Maildir and as reliable as Maildir?
what i have to write on ~/.qmail file ?

--
MOkondo
i am an atheist, thank god !

* MOkondo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20010326 21:21]:
> I am trying to filter email using procmail.
> what i was doing put a line below on ~/.qmail file:
>
> | preline procmail
>
> The result is filtered emails delivered to ~/Mail/anyfile (one file)
> but unfiltered email delivered to /var/spool/mail/
>
> my question is:
> How to make procmail work with Maildir and as reliable as Maildir?
> what i have to write on ~/.qmail file ?

Read man procmail, there's an environment variable that tells what do do with
all mail after all rules has been completed and none of them matched.

--
Kirill

With best regards,
Shishir K. Singh

--
Kirill

With best regards,
Shishir K. Singh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I am trying to filter email using procmail.
> what i was doing put a line below on ~/.qmail file:
>
> | preline procmail
>
> The result is filtered emails delivered to ~/Mail/anyfile (one file)
> but unfiltered email delivered to /var/spool/mail/
>
> my question is:
> How to make procmail work with Maildir and as reliable as Maildir?
> what i have to write on ~/.qmail file ?
>
> --
> MOkondo
> i am an atheist, thank god !

With best regards,
Shishir K. Singh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I am trying to filter email using procmail.
> what i was doing put a line below on ~/.qmail file:
>
> | preline procmail
>
> The result is filtered emails delivered to ~/Mail/anyfile (one file)
> but unfiltered email delivered to /var/spool/mail/
>
> my question is:
> How to make procmail work with Maildir and as reliable as Maildir?
> what i have to write on ~/.qmail file ?
>
> --
> MOkondo
> i am an atheist, thank god !

if someone had any expirience with qmail and openldap
please send me email.

With regards
Gerzic Z. Luka

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:59:48PM +0200, Luka Gerzic wrote:
> if someone had any expirience with qmail and openldap
> please send me email.

Read http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/.
If there are questions left after reading the whole document at least 2
times use the appropriate list.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:59:48PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> if someone had any expirience with qmail and openldap
> please send me email.

How often again? In capital letters:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 01:48:32AM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:59:48PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > if someone had any expirience with qmail and openldap
> > please send me email.
>
> How often again? In capital letters:
>
> READ HTTP://WWW.LIFEWITHQMAIL.ORG/LDAP/

*grin*
The requested URL /LDAP/ was not found on this server.

Better create an Alias to /ldap/ called /LDAP/, just in case :)

RC

P.S. - Shouting is no solution for clueless people. Flaming them is much
more fun :)

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis Telecom  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 2 1010 0000 - Fax: +351 2 1010 4459

PGP signature

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 01:16:46AM +0100, Ricardo Cerqueira wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 01:48:32AM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:59:48PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > if someone had any expirience with qmail and openldap
> > > please send me email.
> >
> > How often again? In capital letters:
> >
> > READ HTTP://WWW.LIFEWITHQMAIL.ORG/LDAP/
>
> *grin*
> The requested URL /LDAP/ was not found on this server.
>
> Better create an Alias to /ldap/ called /LDAP/, just in case :)

If I remeber after being back from CeBIt I'll do so - but both notebook's and
mobile's batteries are getting emtpy :-((

> RC
>
> P.S. - Shouting is no solution for clueless people. Flaming them is much
> more fun :)

OK, next time Flaming ;-))

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:59:48PM +0200, Luka Gerzic wrote:
> if someone had any expirience with qmail and openldap
> please send me email.

Read http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/.
If there are questions left after reading the whole document at least 2
times use the appropriate list.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

We have several domains. We would want to receive in the same mailbox mail
for several domains.
For example, all mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] be forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Manager
newKnow
Navaluenga 2, Las Rozas, Madrid, Spain
+34 91 6399000

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any wrong transmission.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately destroy it
and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or
copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
relate to the official business of Newknow shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.

Iñigo Martínez Lasala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have several domains. We would want to receive in the same mailbox mail
> for several domains.
> For example, all mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] be forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If domain1.dom is a local domain, just make domain2.dom a local domain as
well.  If domain1.dom is a virtualdomain, make domain2.dom another virtual
domain controlled by the same local user account as domain1.dom.  Done.

Charles

domain2.dom is a virtualdomain.
The problem is that no user has it's mailbox in this server. This is a
forward-only server.
I've two posibilities:
- let forward server "convert" @domain2.dom to @domain1.dom or...
- let destination server manage both domains. But since destination server
is a MSExchange (without internet connectivity, of course) I should make
user per user conversion. :(
I would prefer use the first method.

I don't see the problem.  Just make domain2.dom a copy of domain1.dom.  i.e. if
you're using a default forwarding rule in an ~alias/.qmail-default file for
domain1.dom, make a copy of it, or symlink to it, for domain2.dom.  If you're
controlling domain1.dom with a system account foo, just make domain2.dom
controlled by the same system account foo, and it will get handled the
same way as domain1.dom.

Rewriting headers to hide one domain from another is a broken design, and is
a sendmail-ism.

Charles

We have several domains. We would want to receive in the same mailbox mail
for several domains.
For example, all mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] be forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Manager
newKnow
Navaluenga 2, Las Rozas, Madrid, Spain
+34 91 6399000

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any wrong transmission.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately destroy it
and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or
copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
relate to the official business of Newknow shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.

Iñigo Martínez Lasala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have several domains. We would want to receive in the same mailbox mail
> for several domains.
> For example, all mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] be forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If domain1.dom is a local domain, just make domain2.dom a local domain as
well.  If domain1.dom is a virtualdomain, make domain2.dom another virtual
domain controlled by the same local user account as domain1.dom.  Done.

Charles

On 26 Mar 2001 12:08:29 +0200,
 ONE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How I can set quota message for qmail ?
>Can you help me?

When You have filesystem quotas, use warnquota.

Greetings
--
Robert Sander
Computer Scientist                                       Epigenomics AG

Hello all,

RS> On 26 Mar 2001 12:08:29 +0200,
RS>  ONE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>How I can set quota message for qmail ?
>>Can you help me?

RS> When You have filesystem quotas, use warnquota.

RS> Greetings
 but I want to know are there some way to use quota without filesystem
 quota?and want to set quota for a domain!can i?
 thanks
 my english is pool.sorry.

--
Best regards,
 teng                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi all...

How I can set quota message for qmail ?
Can you help me?

Thank you
cmail

Todd Goldenbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Install mutt.  Then just do the following, to create MIME-type file
> > attachments:
> >
> > echo "This is the message body.
> > It can have multiple lines." \
> >   | mutt -a /path/to/file1 -a /path/to/file2 recipient1 recipient2 ...
>
> wow, and then if qmail is installed i guess that's what mutt would use to
> actually send it?

Yes.  For additional flexibility, you can configure Mutt (in /etc/Muttrc,
or ~/.muttrc) with "set envelope_from=yes", to set the envelope sender address
from the contents of the From: header.

As another poster noted, you can also explicitly set the sendmail mutt
variable to be qmail-inject as well.

Charles

Todd Goldenbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Install mutt.  Then just do the following, to create MIME-type file
> > attachments:
> >
> > echo "This is the message body.
> > It can have multiple lines." \
> >   | mutt -a /path/to/file1 -a /path/to/file2 recipient1 recipient2 ...
>
> wow, and then if qmail is installed i guess that's what mutt would use to
> actually send it?

Yes.  For additional flexibility, you can configure Mutt (in /etc/Muttrc,
or ~/.muttrc) with "set envelope_from=yes", to set the envelope sender address
from the contents of the From: header.

As another poster noted, you can also explicitly set the sendmail mutt
variable to be qmail-inject as well.

Charles

Wow, thanks.  The MIME::Tools module is fantastic.  I'd highly recommend it
to anyone in a similar situation- for sending or receiving attachment-laden
email w/perl + qmail.

todd
On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Kirill Miazine wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 09:16:44PM -0500, Todd Goldenbaum wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using perl to construct and send qmail messages, and I've found it very
> > easy with qmail-inject.  But I'm confused about attachments... I found this
> > suggestion from the archives of this list:
>
> Did you try MIME::Tools? Check your nearest CPAN mirror for more info. Or
> run following:
>
> perl -MCPAN -e 'readme("MIME::Tools")'
>

> > % cat {filename} | uuencode {filename} | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > however, when the mail comes in, it looks something like this:
> >
> >   Date: 24 Mar 2001 02:06:32 -0000
> >   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >   Cc: recipient list not shown:  ;
> >
> >   begin 664 ngc2903_hst_big.jpg
> >   M_]C_X``02D9)1@`!`@``9`!D``#_[``11'5C:WD``0`$````4```_^X`#D%D
> >   M;V)E`&3``````?_;`(0``@("`@("`@("`@,"`@(#!`,"`@,$!00$!`0$!08%
> >   M!04%!04&!@<'"`<'!@D)"@H)"0P,#`P,#`P,#`P,#`P,#`$#`P,%!`4)!@8)
> >   M#0L)"PT/#@X.#@\/#`P,#`P/#PP,#`P,#`\,#`P,#`P,#`P,#`P,#`P,#`P,
> >   M#`P,#`P,#`P,_\``$0@%W@7&`P$1``(1`0,1`?_$`:(````'`0$!`0$`````
> >   M`````
> >
> > I'm not very familiar with the standard email spec, but it seems like there
> > might be a way to just include a line in the email header that indicates
> > a file in the local filesystem to attach, maybe assumiing it's been uuencoded?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Todd
> >
> --
> Kirill

start from /usr/src _and_ you may read life with qmail

Tom

Date: header before passing the mail on to qmail.  qmail will then leave
it alone, and it will be in whatever timezone you want.

However...

> I found a solution to this problem from Dave Sill saying to use datemail...
> He says that, "Some people even replace qmail-inject with a symbolic link to
> datemail" This is the solution we really need, that is, one where we can
> continue to use the qmail-inject command. At this point I have tried both a
> symbolic link and actually copying datemail to qmail-inject, but we continue
> to get the error message:
>
> [root@wrapguy bin]# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
> sendmail: illegal option -- H
> sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [
> arg ... ]

A sendmail error when calling qmail-inject?  Something is screwy.  What
does `ls -l /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject` output?  It looks like your
qmail-inject is a symlink to either the qmail sendmail wrapper, or a real
sendmail binary (can't recall enough about the error messages each gives
to determine which).

Charles

Unfortunately, there is no MUA since qmail-inject is being called from
various scripts. Here's the output you requested, Charles.

[root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep qmail-inject
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     qmail           8 Mar 26 10:48 qmail-inject ->
datemail
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     qmail       34748 Mar 19 10:44 qmail-inject.orig

And the problem again...

[root@wrapguy bin]# ./datemail
sendmail: illegal option -- a
sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [
arg ... ]

And one more potentially useful ls is:

[root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep datemail
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     qmail         126 Mar 19 10:44 datemail
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     qmail           8 Mar 26 10:48 qmail-inject ->
datemail

Thanks for all the help! I really am stumpted on this one.

Matt

Date: header before passing the mail on to qmail.  qmail will then leave
it alone, and it will be in whatever timezone you want.

However...

> I found a solution to this problem from Dave Sill saying to use
datemail...
> He says that, "Some people even replace qmail-inject with a symbolic link
> datemail" This is the solution we really need, that is, one where we can
> continue to use the qmail-inject command. At this point I have tried both
> symbolic link and actually copying datemail to qmail-inject, but we
continue
> to get the error message:
>
> [root@wrapguy bin]# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
> sendmail: illegal option -- H
> sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [
> arg ... ]

A sendmail error when calling qmail-inject?  Something is screwy.  What
does `ls -l /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject` output?  It looks like your
qmail-inject is a symlink to either the qmail sendmail wrapper, or a real
sendmail binary (can't recall enough about the error messages each gives
to determine which).

Charles

Matt Simonsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no MUA since qmail-inject is being called from
> various scripts. Here's the output you requested, Charles.
>
> [root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep qmail-inject
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     qmail           8 Mar 26 10:48 qmail-inject ->
> datemail
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     qmail       34748 Mar 19 10:44 qmail-inject.orig

Okay, this looks alright.

[...]
> And one more potentially useful ls is:
>
> [root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep datemail
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     qmail         126 Mar 19 10:44 datemail
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     qmail           8 Mar 26 10:48 qmail-inject ->
> datemail

Yes, this seems funny.  Datemail here is a 67-byte Bourne shell script:

#!/bin/sh
exec /var/qmail/bin/predate /usr/sbin/sendmail ${1+"$@"}

My questions:

1)  What are the contents of your datemail?  It's got to be more than here.

2)  How much do you want to bet that /usr/sbin/sendmail on your system
is not the qmail sendmail wrapper, but a real sendmail binary?  That's
almost certainly the problem here, and would account for the sendmail
error messages you're seeing.  If this is the problem, you need to remove
the sendmail binary (or rename it) and replace it with a link to
/var/qmail/bin/sendmail .

Charles

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:54:20AM -0800, Matt Simonsen wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no MUA since qmail-inject is being called from
> various scripts. Here's the output you requested, Charles.
>

> [root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep qmail-inject
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     qmail           8 Mar 26 10:48 qmail-inject ->
> datemail
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     qmail       34748 Mar 19 10:44 qmail-inject.orig
>

> And the problem again...
>
> [root@wrapguy bin]# ./datemail
> sendmail: illegal option -- a
> sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [
> arg ... ]

Strange... Try running this by hand:

"/var/qmail/bin/predate /var/qmail/bin/sendmail"

What do you get? The same error? The above line is what datemail does.

RC

--
+-------------------

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:00:15PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Matt Simonsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Yes, this seems funny.  Datemail here is a 67-byte Bourne shell script:

Actually... I'm running a pristine qmail 1.03 on this machine... datemail
is a 126 byte bash script, using /var/qmail/bin/sendmail instead of
/usr/bin/sendmail. Considering the size, I'd say his script is exactly the
same.

RC

> 1)  What are the contents of your datemail?  It's got to be more than here.

A comment: "# WARNING: This file was auto-generated. Do not edit!" :-)

> 2)  How much do you want to bet that /usr/sbin/sendmail on your system
> is not the qmail sendmail wrapper, but a real sendmail binary?  That's
> almost certainly the problem here, and would account for the sendmail
> error messages you're seeing.  If this is the problem, you need to remove
> the sendmail binary (or rename it) and replace it with a link to
> /var/qmail/bin/sendmail .

That might be it... But then again, if his script is the original one (like
mine, apperently created by "make setup"...)

RC

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis Telecom  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 2 1010 0000 - Fax: +351 2 1010 4459

PGP signature

Yeah, my script is the one with the added comment....

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:00:15PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Matt Simonsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Yes, this seems funny.  Datemail here is a 67-byte Bourne shell script:

Actually... I'm running a pristine qmail 1.03 on this machine... datemail
is a 126 byte bash script, using /var/qmail/bin/sendmail instead of
/usr/bin/sendmail. Considering the size, I'd say his script is exactly the
same.

>Strange... Try running this by hand:
>
>"/var/qmail/bin/predate /var/qmail/bin/sendmail"
>
>What do you get? The same error? The above line is what datemail does.

Here it is:

[root@wrapguy bin]# /var/qmail/bin/predate /var/qmail/bin/sendmail -t
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: testing
test from wrapguy...

And it worked perfectly while qmail-inject was the standard file. It gave
the below error as soon as I replaced qmail-inject with datemail.

So, to reiterate, here's the problem. When I run the datemail script it
works perfectly, too. But when I add a symbolic link or replace the file
qmail-inject with datemail I get an error. Here's a series of commands that
should clearly show what I mean:

[root@wrapguy bin]# cp datemail qmail-inject
cp: overwrite `qmail-inject'? y
[root@wrapguy bin]# ./qmail-inject
sendmail: illegal option -- a
sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [
arg ... ]

[root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep qmail-inject
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           72 Mar 26 11:35 qmail-inject
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        34748 Mar 26 11:22 qmail-inject.orig
[root@wrapguy bin]# cat qmail-inject
#!/bin/sh
exec /var/qmail/bin/predate /var/qmail/bin/sendmail ${1+"$@"}
[root@wrapguy bin]# ./qmail-inject
sendmail: illegal option -- a
sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [
arg ... ]

Thanks for the help, all-

Matt

After my previous emails, I think it's safe to assume that #1 has been
answered... I believe my datemail script is OK.

As to #2, my symbolic links all point correctly to qmail-inject...

[root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l /usr/lib/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Mar 19 11:12 /usr/lib/sendmail ->
/var/qmail/bin/sendmail
[root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Mar 19 11:12
/usr/sbin/sendmail -> /var/qmail/bin/sendmail

I *really* wish that were the problem....

Matt Simonsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no MUA since qmail-inject is being called from
> various scripts. Here's the output you requested, Charles.
>
> [root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep qmail-inject
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     qmail           8 Mar 26 10:48 qmail-inject ->
> datemail
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     qmail       34748 Mar 19 10:44 qmail-inject.orig

Okay, this looks alright.

[...]
> And one more potentially useful ls is:
>
> [root@wrapguy bin]# ls -l | grep datemail
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     qmail         126 Mar 19 10:44 datemail
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     qmail           8 Mar 26 10:48 qmail-inject ->
> datemail

Yes, this seems funny.  Datemail here is a 67-byte Bourne shell script:

#!/bin/sh
exec /var/qmail/bin/predate /usr/sbin/sendmail ${1+"$@"}

My questions:

1)  What are the contents of your datemail?  It's got to be more than here.

2)  How much do you want to bet that /usr/sbin/sendmail on your system
is not the qmail sendmail wrapper, but a real sendmail binary?  That's
almost certainly the problem here, and would account for the sendmail
error messages you're seeing.  If this is the problem, you need to remove
the sendmail binary (or rename it) and replace it with a link to
/var/qmail/bin/sendmail .

Charles

You cannot replace qmail-inject with a symlink to datemail.  datemail uses
/var/qmail/bin/sendmail which simply calls qmail-inject.

Change your original scripts to call datemail directly.

--
---------------------------------
Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/
One Monroeville Center, Suite 850
Monroeville, PA  15146
(412) 810-8888 Phone
(412) 810-8886 Fax

Are you sure? Is this wrong?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1167/fid/208

As an aside, on my system /var/qmail/bin/sendmail is not a shell script as
your first sentence seems to imply but a seperate program... I don't know if
this has anything to do with my problems.

--
---------------------------------

"Matt Simonsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Are you sure? Is this wrong?
> http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1167/fid/208

Looks wrong to me.  datemail is a trivial shell script which invokes
sendmail.  sendmail and qmail-inject take different options.  It does
not make sense to simply replace qmail-inject with datemail.  It makes
more sense to replace sendmail with datemail.

If your MUA wants to call sendmail, then you can do something like
this:
    cd /var/qmail/bin
    mv sendmail sendmail.basic
    echo 'exec /var/qmail/bin/predate /var/qmail/bin/sendmail.basic ${1+"$@"}' >
sendmail
    chmod +x sendmail

If your MUA wants to call qmail-inject, then you can do something like
this:
    cd /var/qmail/bin
    mv qmail-inject qmail-inject.basic
    echo 'exec /var/qmail/bin/predate /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject.basic ${1+"$@"}' >
qmail-inject
    chmod +x qmail-inject
But it is very unlikely that your MUA expects to call qmail-inject,
but does not generate a Date: header.

I don't personally recommend doing either of the above.  I recommend
fixing your MUA to create a Date: header, or telling your MUA to use
`datemail' as a mailer rather than `sendmail'.

Ian

Since qmail's replacement for sendmail contains the following code:

  arg = qiargv;
  *arg++ = "bin/qmail-inject";
  *arg++ = (flagh ? "-H" : "-a");
  if (sender) {
    *arg++ = "-f";
    *arg++ = sender;
  }
  *arg++ = "--";
  for (i = 0;i < argc;++i) *arg++ = argv[i];
  *arg = 0;

  execv(*qiargv,qiargv);
  substdio_putsflush(subfderr,"sendmail: fatal: unable to run qmail-inject\n");

I would say that the statement about simply using a symlink was misleading at
best.  qmail-inject is also an executable program which datemail is not.  Just
because something is a wrapper for another program does not automatically make
it a script.

Restore your original qmail-inject executable and modify your scripts to call
datemail directly and I'll bet you it works as you would like it to. :)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 12:10:43PM -0800, Matt Simonsen wrote:
> Are you sure? Is this wrong?
> http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1167/fid/208
>
> As an aside, on my system /var/qmail/bin/sendmail is not a shell script as
> your first sentence seems to imply but a seperate program... I don't know if
> this has anything to do with my problems.

how can i run qmail on a port that is not 25 (non standart port Ex:300)
under tcpserver?
THX.

Linux!audimed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> how can i run qmail on a port that is not 25 (non standart port Ex:300)
> under tcpserver?

If you mean qmail-smtpd, read the documentation for tcpserver.  It will tell
you clearly.

Charles

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Linux!audimed wrote:
> how can i run qmail on a port that is not 25 (non standart port Ex:300)
> under tcpserver?
> THX.

you probably mean qmail-smtpd.
same way you'd do it with port 25 -- just use a different number.
http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcpserver.html

-tcl.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 05:42:19PM -0300, Linux!audimed wrote:
> how can i run qmail on a port that is not 25 (non standart port Ex:300)
> under tcpserver?
> THX.

man tcpserver
(in other words: RTFM)

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

Hi all,
I have qmail with checkpassword for qmail-pop3d, I try to use
[EMAIL PROTECTED] for [EMAIL PROTECTED], where mydomain.com isnt the real
name of the host (dns is ok), the name of the host is host.myisp.com. I put
mydomain.com into locals and rcpthost, and all ok. The alias is configured by
a &user into the file qmail-alias in /var/qmail/alias. In the ~user directory
there is a file named .qmail with the ./Maildir/ directive. When I send email
from a valid user of the box to the alias, the email is received ok. When I
send an email from another address (out of the box), the email isnt received,
can anyone help me, please? It's very important and urgent. thanks.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:46:04PM +0200, The Beast wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have qmail with checkpassword for qmail-pop3d, I try to use
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] for [EMAIL PROTECTED], where mydomain.com isnt the real
> name of the host (dns is ok), the name of the host is host.myisp.com.

DNS is not OK -- :

gwhite@bilbo:~$ dnsqr a host.myisp.com
1 host.myisp.com:
32 bytes, 1+0+0+0 records, response, authoritative, nxdomain
query: 1 host.myisp.com

> I put
> mydomain.com into locals and rcpthost, and all ok. The alias is configured by
> a &user into the file qmail-alias in /var/qmail/alias. In the ~user directory
> there is a file named .qmail with the ./Maildir/ directive. When I send email
> from a valid user of the box to the alias, the email is received ok. When I
> send an email from another address (out of the box), the email isnt received,
> can anyone help me, please? It's very important and urgent. thanks.

I doubt that anyone can send you any mail whatsoever when your hostname
is NXDOMAIN. Fix your DNS, and we'll work from there.

;)

--
Greg White
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent

Hi all,
I install qmail and chechpassword for use qmail-pop3d. All is ok, but the aliases system don't run. I want tu deliver mail tu alias@domain.com. I place a .qmail-alias file in /var/qmail/alias, with the text &user . The domain is an alias too, because the name of the box is host.myisp.com. I try to send mail to alias from a local user, and all is ok, but when I send mail from another box user, dont deliver the mail. I have a problem with some users that the system dont deliver mail, returning 550 error..User unknown. domain.com is placed in /var/qmail/control/locals and /var/qmail/rcpthosts. All the users has a file named .qmail with the text ./Maildir/ , there is a Maildir in all the home users created with the maildirmake utility. Can anyone help me, please? I read all the docs I see, and I can't resolve the problem, thanks.

##from life whit qmail################
Create the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run file:
#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
        -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
2>&1

##############
##    -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
2>&1
#############                                                  ####
in the place of smtp. i must put 300 or the port i want. i believe.

Hello.

I just setup qmail supervised, and it seems to be running great.  I also
managed to install pop3d supervised.  But I noticed when I connect to check
my mail via pop3, it takes a LONG time to log in.  I say it takes (or it
seems) nearly a minute to log in and check my mail.

It seems odd since if I check it once, when i check it again shortly after
it logs in much faster.  But now that I checked it again today, whenever I
log in it would take nearly a minute each time in order to check my mail.

Here are my system specs...

FreeBSD 4.2 RELEASE.  Also used as a NATd box.  I was wondering if anyone
has this similar setup with qmail.  The reason I asked I was able to setup
another FreeBSD box with just a single NIC and running qmail supervised.  I
log in via pop3 blazing fast (since it's on the LAN).

My only guess it must be NATd related (or how I set up the firewall on that
NATd box).  Anyone runs this similiar setup encountering the same
long-logging-via-POP problems?  Much appreciated.  Thanks :)
--
Neafevoc

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:41:28PM -0800, Neafevoc K. Marindale wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just setup qmail supervised, and it seems to be running great.  I also
> managed to install pop3d supervised.  But I noticed when I connect to check
> my mail via pop3, it takes a LONG time to log in.  I say it takes (or it
> seems) nearly a minute to log in and check my mail.

do you start pop3d via tcpserver ? try the options -R -H and -l : it helped
a lot on my servers...

HTH,
Olivier
 Olivier Mueller - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - PGPkeyID: 0E84D2EA - Switzerland
qmail projects: http://omail.omnis.ch  -  http://webmail.omnis.ch

PGP signature

Neafevoc K. Marindale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just setup qmail supervised, and it seems to be running great.  I also
> managed to install pop3d supervised.  But I noticed when I connect to check
> my mail via pop3, it takes a LONG time to log in.  I say it takes (or it
> seems) nearly a minute to log in and check my mail.

This is about the number-one Frequently Asked Question about qmail.  It's
in all the documentation and FAQs.  Check djb's FAQs, check www.qmail.org,
check the archives for this mailing list.

Charles

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:41:28PM -0800, Neafevoc K. Marindale wrote:
> But I noticed when I connect to check
> my mail via pop3, it takes a LONG time to log in.  I say it takes (or it
> seems) nearly a minute to log in and check my mail.

This is a FAQ. Read the tcpserver documentation. You are looking for the
identd- and dns-related options.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 20459 Hamburg
http://www.bsws.de | Germany

hi,
but isn't it possible to do it like in sendmail in the mailertable?

if you take the smtproutes of qmail it is nearly the same than the
mailertable of sendmail but you cannot add a line like this
domain.com:[EMAIL PROTECTED] .is this true?

i don't want that the server will act as a popserver and then forward
it. i want the smtp to forward directly.

cu ycae

--
Yves Caetano
Server Support Engineer

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi,
> but isn't it possible to do it like in sendmail in the mailertable?
>
> if you take the smtproutes of qmail it is nearly the same than the
> mailertable of sendmail but you cannot add a line like this
> domain.com:[EMAIL PROTECTED] .is this true?
>
> i don't want that the server will act as a popserver and then forward
> it. i want the smtp to forward directly.
>
> cu ycae
>
> Yves Caetano
> Server Support Engineer

I don't understand your meaning here.  If, by your statement, you mean
that you think your qmail server is using pop3 protocol to receive
messages from a particular domain, you are mistaken.  Servers never act
as pop3 servers unless people are retrieving mail from their inbox via
the pop3 protocol.  The rest of the time, one server will initiate a
SMTP connection with another.  As far as simply setting the route up
like that in your smtproutes file, it cannot be done.  smtproutes only
accepts hosts, never users.  Use the alias method and your mail should
route smoothly.

--
Keith
Network Engineer

* Yves Caetano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20010326 12:23]:
> hi,
> Kirill Miazine wrote:
> >
> > * Yves Caetano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20010326 11:41]:
> > > hi,
> > > but isn't it possible to do it like in sendmail in the mailertable?
> > >
> > > if you take the smtproutes of qmail it is nearly the same than the
> > > mailertable of sendmail but you cannot add a line like this
> > > domain.com:[EMAIL PROTECTED] .is this true?
> >
> > mailertable is used to redirect mail for entire domain to another host, not
> > a user
>
> yes it is possible, because i did it for a client of us :-))

Of course, stupid me, I was talking about qmail's smtproutes....

> cu ycae
> >

> > > i don't want that the server will act as a popserver and then forward
> > > it. i want the smtp to forward directly.
> >
> > There's no pop here, every incoming mail for your domain simply gets
> > forwarded.
> >

> > > cu ycae
> > >

> > P.S. I'm on the list, don't Cc messages to me
> >
> > --
> > Kirill
>
> --
> Yves Caetano
> Server Support Engineer
> Tel: +352 295383 254
> Fax: +352 295383 222
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.incotech.lu
--
Kirill

Hi Yves

> hi, but isn't it possible to do it like in sendmail in the
> mailertable?

Not without writing a patch. Qmail's method is more extensive and
flexible than sendmail's, anyhow.

> if you take the smtproutes of qmail it is nearly the same than the
> mailertable of sendmail but you cannot add a line like this
> domain.com:[EMAIL PROTECTED] .is this true?

No. The difference between simply forwarding an e-mail on to another
server and saving it locally is a little larger than it may appear.

> i don't want that the server will act as a popserver and then
> forward it. i want the smtp to forward directly.

Well, believe it or not, Kirill's suggestion doesn't make the server
`act as a popserver'. A popserver stores the mail for later
retrieval. The .qmail* files decide what happens to e-mail, not
necessarily where it is stored. Think about it. In simple terms, qmail
receives an e-mail. The domain name it is addressed to (in RCPT TO) is
not in locals, so it checks virtualdomains. It finds the domain there,
and forwards it on to prefix-domain-user locally. qmail then sees that
there is a .qmail file in ~prefix called .qmail-domain-default. It
then carries out the `commands' in this file which reroute the mail
again. So, in essence, the mail is never `stored' anywhere but gets
forwarded along a line. I think you will find that the time taken to
get one message from the outside world to the final user would be in
the...hmmm...let me think...seconds degree I would think?

Brett.

--
"Hey, I know this! This is Unix!"

- Jurassic Park

* Yves Caetano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20010326 11:41]:
> hi,
> but isn't it possible to do it like in sendmail in the mailertable?
>
> if you take the smtproutes of qmail it is nearly the same than the
> mailertable of sendmail but you cannot add a line like this
> domain.com:[EMAIL PROTECTED] .is this true?

mailertable is used to redirect mail for entire domain to another host, not
a user

> i don't want that the server will act as a popserver and then forward
> it. i want the smtp to forward directly.

There's no pop here, every incoming mail for your domain simply gets
forwarded.

> cu ycae

P.S. I'm on the list, don't Cc messages to me

--
Kirill

Hi Brett,

thanks for the explanation.

thanks all for the help :-))

cu ycae

--
Yves Caetano
Server Support Engineer
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.incotech.lu

Hi,

It seems that delivered messages as staying in the queue. 7 days later queue
mail is giving up "I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the
queue too long."

I know that 99% of these messages have been delivered successfully so I am
not sure why they are not purging from the queue.

Any help would be appreciated.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 03:49:15PM -0800, Bill Crowley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that delivered messages as staying in the queue. 7 days later queue
> mail is giving up "I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the
> queue too long."
>
> I know that 99% of these messages have been delivered successfully so I am
> not sure why they are not purging from the queue.

If it's a single email to multiple recipients, then qmail will not
delete the message until 100% of the messages have been delivered
successfully.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Show the list examples of what you means, especially useful is the
output from qmail-qread

Regards.

Bill Crowley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that delivered messages as staying in the queue. 7 days later queue
> mail is giving up "I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the
> queue too long."
>
> I know that 99% of these messages have been delivered successfully so I am
> not sure why they are not purging from the queue.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Lemme think here.  If I'm not mistaken, the user that modifies the queue
is qmailq who owns the qmail-queue program.  Now, on my installation of
qmail (and so I assume everyone elses) the qmail-queue program's
permissions are: -rws--x--x .  So, bascially, the qmail-queue program
executes as root to modify the queue, therefore, permissions on the
queue directory shouldn't matter.  What group is your qmailq user in?
What is his home directory?  What are the permissions on your
qmail-queue binary?  and what does your run file for qmail look like?

My best guess (if you hadn't deduced here) at this point is that the
permissions aren't right somewhere for the qmail system to make the
necessary changes the the queue; but there are a plethora of other
possibilities. =)

--
Keith
Network Engineer

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 06:53:44PM -0500, Nick (Keith) Fish wrote:
[snip]
> Lemme think here.  If I'm not mistaken, the user that modifies the queue
> is qmailq who owns the qmail-queue program.  Now, on my installation of
> qmail (and so I assume everyone elses) the qmail-queue program's
> permissions are: -rws--x--x .  So, bascially, the qmail-queue program
> executes as root to modify the queue, therefore, permissions on the
> queue directory shouldn't matter.  What group is your qmailq user in?

qmail-queue doesn't run as root. It runs as user qmailq. What group
this user is in, or what his homedir is, doesn't matter. Permissions
on the binary are relevant indeed.

Greetz, Peter.

Peter van Dijk wrote:

> qmail-queue doesn't run as root. It runs as user qmailq. What group
> this user is in, or what his homedir is, doesn't matter. Permissions
> on the binary are relevant indeed.
>
> Greetz, Peter.

Odd.  Why do I have a set-root-bit on my qmail-queue binary with an
owner of qmailq, then?  I understand that it runs as user qmailq; but it
runs with root's permissions, correct?  I have not modified it from the
installation put in place by the tarball.

--
Keith
Network Engineer

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 07:17:13PM -0500, Nick (Keith) Fish wrote:
> Peter van Dijk wrote:
> >
> > qmail-queue doesn't run as root. It runs as user qmailq. What group
> > this user is in, or what his homedir is, doesn't matter. Permissions
> > on the binary are relevant indeed.
> >
> > Greetz, Peter.
>
> Odd.  Why do I have a set-root-bit on my qmail-queue binary with an
> owner of qmailq, then?  I understand that it runs as user qmailq; but it
> runs with root's permissions, correct?  I have not modified it from the
> installation put in place by the tarball.

There is no such thing as a set-root-bit. There is a setuid bit, and a
setgid bit... their name deescribes their purpose.

Regards.

Hi,
        I am a qmail newbie. I am confused about the use of
defaulthost and envnoathost files. It seems that I only need one
of them.
        If I send mail to 'username'.
        The qmail will fill in username@defaulthost
and it also fill in username@envnoathost at the same time.
        Please help me to straight things out.

Thanks,

Hoang

I can mail locally with either smtp, inject or sendmail but if I try to send
an email to my address on the qmail server from anywhere remote, I get a
bounced email from my server with the message below:

The original message was received at Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:26:32 -0700 (MST)
from gw.wnrg.com [64.70.27.226]

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

550 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Host unknown (Name server: debian.wnrg.com:
host not found)

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:33:13 -0800

sdfds
sdfds

I think this is probably a simple one. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Brett.

Hi all...

How I can set quota message for qmail ?
Can you help me?

Thank you
cmail

I have noticed that some of the postings appear several times. The messages
are exactly the same, but the From: address is set to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

See for yourself: message 65233 and message 65295 (Subject: Subject: Re:
Sending attachments with qmail-inject)

What's going on?

--
Kirill

do you know how to set every email from qmail will make sms alert to my
handphone ?
is there any software which support this ?
thanks

Brett,

> Is this really a locals file? Try:
>
> mydomain.com
> server2.mydomain.com
>
> (ie without the :mydomain.com's)
>
> Brett.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I am not sure how it got in, but that's how
it was.  It's fixed now.  Probably the 2am cut & paste while tunnelling in
from home.  I took your advice and now the mail no longer stays on server1.
I haven't gotten them on server2 yet, but this is a firewall issue that I
need to resolve.  I assume they are sitting in the queue waiting for the
firewall to open up.

jean

Dear sir,

I want to implement serial mail on my existing qmail 1.03 , which is running at Red Hat 6.2.

Could you pl tell me how can i implement this.

I am using mailbox format right now.

Regards

lokesh

Hello

Qmail FAQ states that tcpserver allows only 40 simultaneous qmail-smtpd connections and to increase it to 400, I need to run

tcpserver -c 400

Would this number sustain after a reboot...

How to do this for qmail-pop3d as well

Regards
Sumith

* Sumith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010327 04:16]:

Side note: would you *PLEASE* turn off HTML in your mail and fix your
line width - you're wasting other people's resources and make your
messages unnecessarily hard to read. http://learn.to/edit_messages

> Qmail FAQ states that tcpserver allows only 40 simultaneous
> qmail-smtpd connections and to increase it to 400, I need to run
> tcpserver -c 400
> Would this number sustain after a reboot...

That depends on how you start tcpserver.

> How to do this for qmail-pop3d as well

The same way? I mean, what do you expect us to do? Grab a crystal ball
and try to find out how you invoke your stuff? Why don't you *read* the
available documentation? Like:

Step 1: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=%22tcpserver+-c%22+qmail-send
Step 2: http://qmail.3va.net/qmailfaq.html#smtpd
Step 3: verify that this is correct: http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcpserver.html

Keep in mind that a) this is not a support forum and b) helping you each
time you have a problem will 1) get on a *lot* of people's nerves and 2)
make you prone to not reading the documentation. Neither alternative is
desirable.
--
Robin S. Socha http://mail.socha.net/

Hello

I have 2 SMTP-servers running qmail placed on diffret physical location with
diffrent internet connections, so if my primary SMTP server is down or the
connection is broken the e-mails will end up on the secondary. I'm using
smtproute on the secondary to route all the incomming messages to my primary
server. This works perfect, if the primary server is down they are queued on
my secondary until the primary are back.
But my problem are, if someone is trying to use my secondary SMTP-server for
open relaying, the messages are routed to the primary server and that server
rejects them. The secondary generates a bounce message and are tryinging to
send it but because of the smtproutes it tries to send it to the primary
server and the bounce will be rejected and it will be a doubble bounce.
I want the bounce to be sended back to the sender without double bouncing.
Putting the rcpthosts file on the secondary server is not an option because
the file will be out of date almost immediately and the configuration I have
will not allow me to have a scheduled script that downloading that file.

So my question is if there are anyone who have an easy solution how I should
do so all messages are routed with smtproute except the bounce messages?

Andreas

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:33:18PM +0200, Andreas Grip wrote:
> But my problem are, if someone is trying to use my secondary SMTP-server for
> open relaying, the messages are routed to the primary server and that server
> rejects them.

So configure your secondary server properly. Stop it being an open
relay.

> Putting the rcpthosts file on the secondary server is not an option because
> the file will be out of date almost immediately and the configuration I have
> will not allow me to have a scheduled script that downloading that file.

Then your configuration is broken. Your problem is that you have a
publically available open-relay. It is that problem you need to fix.
Irritating bounce messages are just side effects of your open-relay.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's