-----Original Message-----
From: David T. Ashley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 6:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DNS question

I read the HOWTO for q-mail, but there is one thing I don't understand.

It states that I need a DNS and that my machines have to be listed in the
DNS for qmail to work.

I have a hardware firewall (one of those $150 boxes) guarding my DSL line
with a static IP.  Is it good enough that my static IP has a reverse-DNS
resolution, or do my "internal" addresses need to resolve as well.  For
example, my static IP is 64.129.57.5, but the server (internally, behind the
firewall) is 192.168.0.33.  Clearly, trying to reverse-DNS the latter will
lead to trouble, whereas the former is OK.

It isn't clear to me what is meant by the statements about DNS in the HOWTO
or what qmail needs to be viable.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.