Wooooooooooooo.............

Finally an answer. Hey Thanks. Go buy yourself a drink. You deserve it.

Kirti

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 10:15 PM
To: Kirti S. Bajwa
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: dnscache vs dnscachex

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 09:11:39PM -0400, Kirti S. Bajwa wrote:
> I have installed both "local DNS cache" and "external DNS cache" on the
same
> machine.

You don't need to do that. Just install an external cache, and list the
address
of the machine's external interface in /etc/resolv.conf. Both the machine
itself and external clients can use the same cache that way.

> I find that the default installation of "external DNS cache" listens on
> 127.0.0.1 & 63.113.255

No it doesn't. I think you mean that it'll allow connections from 127.0.0.1
and
63.113.255.*. It'll only listen on one address.

> whereas default installation of "local DNS cache" also listens on
127.0.0.1.

See above.

> Therefore, am I to assume that if "external DNS cache" is installed on a
> machine, then there is no need to install "local DNS cache" on the SAME
> machine (and that it is redundant)?

That's correct. You just need one cache, and it can be used by remote
clients
as well as themachine itself.

Chris