John P wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've been looking into the best way to send the occasional one-off
> newsletter to 50-60,000 customers.
>
> Two questions:
> - For max. delivery speed, can I just up the concurrency-remote to, say, 400
> (applying patch) - do I need to do anything else (Linux RedHat 7) eg. to do
> with process limits etc?

Sure.  You could even run an entirely separate copy of qmail processes
that interfaces with the same queue when you send out the newsletter.

> - I need to track bounces, fails etc. is the best thing to call qmail-remote
> directly, for each email, and then if it fails mark it in the database or
> pass it to qmail-inject (if temporary)? Also I'm running qmail-scanner, so I
> need to disable this for each e-mail. Could I potentially outweigh any speed
> benefit by having to use MySQL update queries or by the fact I'm using PHP?

You could probably alias anything that comes back to the MAILER-DAEMON
user during the time you are sending out the newsletter to be passed
through a program or script which would look at the ## line and see if
the subject matches the newsletter's subject, and, if it does, pass off
the user name to either a PHP function or otherwise marking the user as
bouncing in the database.  As far as using PHP, you might do better with
a shell script; but my knowledge of PHP's speed limitations is
nonexistant.

--
Keith
Network Engineer