Actually he has a point.  The SANS conference I attended last year
included a demonstration of how sites are broken into.  The first thing
the presenters did was give a talk about researching your target.  One
thing they like to do is do searches in technical lists (e.g.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) for the target’s domain name or even the name of a
known sysadmin.  They use this technique to get clues on the
architecture of their target, and of course a lot of queries on this
list will lay out exactly what the architecture is.

I don’t use my employer’s hostname when sending email on this list for
that reason; though that’s about the only obfuscation I’m using.

I’ve been around the net long enough (worked at a University when the
net was run by DARPA; pre-web days) to bemoan the fact that finger
daemons were having to be disabled because they were used as a way to
collect spam targets.  This is another example where people are having
to be less open.
     === Al