qmail Digest 15 Apr 2001 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1335

Topics (messages 60716 through 60737):

vpopmail doesn't deliver mails
        60716 by: Christian Maier

Re: Pine for Maildir
        60717 by: Stefan Laudat
        60729 by: Nick (Keith) Fish
        60730 by: tc lewis
        60731 by: Nick (Keith) Fish
        60736 by: davidu

Re: reality check not working (was: smtp and pop not working)
        60718 by: David Young

qmail-pop3d and supervise
        60719 by: Rehan Zaidi
        60720 by: Mark Delany
        60721 by: David Young
        60722 by: Rehan Zaidi
        60726 by: Tim Legant
        60727 by: Rick Updegrove
        60735 by: Rehan Zaidi

Did my first email make it through?
        60723 by: Br. Kurt Van Kuren OSB

Re: Maildir (dir) to file for /var/mail/$USR (Inbox) [imapd]
        60724 by: alexus

Re: Qmail Works, But I'm Sure It's Running Backwards!
        60725 by: Johan Almqvist

Procmail headaches
        60728 by: David Gómez
        60732 by: Tim Legant

Many Thanks Guys!
        60733 by: Br. Kurt Van Kuren OSB

Better network file system for qmail ?
        60734 by: Irwan Hadi

[[EMAIL PROTECTED]: MAPS Zone Changes]
        60737 by: Adam McKenna

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi!
I've set up qmail with vpopmail. Now I created a domain and a user by using
vpopmail. Every time I send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] it doesn't deliver
the mail to ~user/Maildir and I don't get an error message from the server.
Here is a part of my maillog (new entry when mail arrives):

Apr 14 13:17:36 hostname qmail: 987247056.830997 status: local 0/10 remote
0/20

Thanks
Christian Maier

> Actually, last I checked those patches don't work with the newest pine
> sources.
>
> In this case RTFM'ing wouldn't help now would it.  Perhaps he should have
> asked the list; oh wait he did.

did I say the patches work on the latest pine version ? umm... nope.
if he's so eager to have the latest version with maildir (which it doesn't support
it by default) maybe he's ambitious in modifying it to suit his needs :-X

--
Stefan Laudat
CCNA & CCAI

Stefan Laudat wrote:

> there are patches for pine Maildir access, please rtfm at www.qmail.org
> I've tested that and worked a couple of months ago.

        I am working on this issue right now.  What it's boiled down to has
been my installing the courier-imap package with the intent of having
Pine access that.  I've patched pine's source code with Mattias
Larsson's pine-maildir-4.33 patch; but couldn't figure out how to
configure Pine to access the Maildirs (namely due to lack of
documentation on Larsson's patch, and his site seems to be down as
well).  I would be interested to hear of the patch you used and the
configuration adjustments you made to Pine.
        By the way, I must say that I do not care for mutt.  The interface is
rather dirty (I don't mean its aesthetics) and the configuration rather
cryptic.  Maybe I just didn't devote enough time to it?  Anyways, it's
not a viable option.

--
Keith
Network Engineer

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Nick (Keith) Fish wrote:
> Stefan Laudat wrote:
> > there are patches for pine Maildir access, please rtfm at www.qmail.org
> > I've tested that and worked a couple of months ago.
>
>       I am working on this issue right now.  What it's boiled down to has
> been my installing the courier-imap package with the intent of having
> Pine access that.  I've patched pine's source code with Mattias
> Larsson's pine-maildir-4.33 patch; but couldn't figure out how to
> configure Pine to access the Maildirs (namely due to lack of
> documentation on Larsson's patch, and his site seems to be down as
> well).  I would be interested to hear of the patch you used and the
> configuration adjustments you made to Pine.
>       By the way, I must say that I do not care for mutt.  The interface is
> rather dirty (I don't mean its aesthetics) and the configuration rather
> cryptic.  Maybe I just didn't devote enough time to it?  Anyways, it's
> not a viable option.

i use that same patch for pine 4.33.  it appears to work much better than
whatever i was using before.  something with pine 4.10 i think.

in pine's config i simply set inbox-path to the string: $MAIL
/etc/profile.d/qmail.sh exists to set $MAIL (and $MAILDROP) properly.
that profile file came with Bruce Guenter's qmail rpms
(http://em.ca/~bruceg/qmail+patches/).  typically $MAIL would look like:
/home/user/Maildir/ (with the trailing slash).

i've never used pine with imap, so i'm not sure how that works.

i never cared for mutt either, although i never spent a huge amount of
time trying to figure it out.  my main issue with it is that i could never
get it to sort my inbox properly (just normal sorting - by arrival time -
how the files in the maildir are already sorted).  it could be due to me
having tried old version of mutt.

-tcl.

tc lewis wrote:

> i use that same patch for pine 4.33.  it appears to work much better than
> whatever i was using before.  something with pine 4.10 i think.
>
> in pine's config i simply set inbox-path to the string: $MAIL
> /etc/profile.d/qmail.sh exists to set $MAIL (and $MAILDROP) properly.
> that profile file came with Bruce Guenter's qmail rpms
> (http://em.ca/~bruceg/qmail+patches/).  typically $MAIL would look like:
> /home/user/Maildir/ (with the trailing slash).

*chuckles* Sure enough, that worked.  It even moves read messages from
~/Maildir/new to ~/Maildir/cur.  Ah well.  A little more info on this
(for the archives if not for anyone presently dealing with it):

- My $MAIL environment variable is not set because I did not use those
particular RPMs for the install.  To set it for your users, check out
/etc/profile (just set the line with MAIL="/some/path/here" to
MAIL="/home/$USER/Maildir").
NOTE: Apparently, you must set inbox-path as an absolute path (which
means you can't set it to ~/Maildir because pine doesn't seem to
recognize ~/ as /home/$USER/).  This, obviously, will make root's
Maildir inaccessible on 99% of Linux systems, to solve this, either make
a symlink from /home/root to /root (or whatever root's home directory
is) or make a /root/.pinerc file with the line inbox-path=/root/Maildir

- You can set inbox-path for pine globally by editing /etc/pine.conf or
you can force your users to use that inbox-path by editing
/etc/pine.conf.fixed

> i've never used pine with imap, so i'm not sure how that works.

Well, I've been devoting a couple of hours to understanding courier-imap
in all of its intracacies and I'd say that your method is loads simpler
yet just as reliable.

> -tcl.

By the way, for those of you trying to obtain a copy of the file
pine-maildir-4.33 to patch pine with, I realize Larrson's site is down
so I have an alternate copy up at
http://unix-web.triton.net/~ennui/pine-maildir-4.33
To apply the patch, just copy the file into the directory you extracted
pine into and do `patch -p1 < pine-maildir-4.33'

--
Keith
Network Engineer

Great notes on getting the newest pine working with Maildir.

One thing I noticed when I set mine up:

you wrote:
> NOTE: Apparently, you must set inbox-path as an absolute path (which
> means you can't set it to ~/Maildir because pine doesn't seem to
> recognize ~/ as /home/$USER/).

For me it was the opposite.  "/home/$USER/Maildir" did not work whereas
"~/Maildir" did -- even for root.

I have no idea why it is opposite for us, but its just something to consider
and "one for the archives" as you say. ;-)

To make the change global for all users I added this to my
/usr/local/lib/pine.conf.fixed:

        ##Qmail Maildir Support##
        inbox-path="~/Maildir/"

Thanks,
-davidu

> - You can set inbox-path for pine globally by editing /etc/pine.conf or
> you can force your users to use that inbox-path by editing
> /etc/pine.conf.fixed
>
> > i've never used pine with imap, so i'm not sure how that works.
>
> Well, I've been devoting a couple of hours to understanding courier-imap
> in all of its intracacies and I'd say that your method is loads simpler
> yet just as reliable.
>
> > -tcl.
>
> By the way, for those of you trying to obtain a copy of the file
> pine-maildir-4.33 to patch pine with, I realize Larrson's site is down
> so I have an alternate copy up at
> http://unix-web.triton.net/~ennui/pine-maildir-4.33
> To apply the patch, just copy the file into the directory you extracted
> pine into and do `patch -p1 < pine-maildir-4.33'
>
> --
> Keith
> Network Engineer
> Triton Technologies, Inc.
>

> Robin S. Socha, Bastard Consultant From Hell <http://socha.net/>

You're not kidding, huh?

Your response to Al has nothing to do with qmail. There is enough traffic
without this sort of nonsense. Please keep your flames off the list.

Hi, folks.

Thanks to the mailing list archives, I've been able to configure qmail-pop3d
to run under supervise...almost.  I have one remaining problem: I still get
"Connection refused" when I telnet to port 110.

These are the processes running on the system:
$ ps -ax | grep qmail
  160 ?        S      0:00 supervise qmail-send
  163 ?        S      0:29 supervise qmail-smtpd
  166 ?        S      0:32 supervise qmail-pop3d
  167 ?        S      0:00 qmail-send
  169 ?        S      0:00 /usr/local/bin/multilog t s2500000
/var/log/qmail/qma
  657 ?        S      0:00 splogger qmail
  658 ?        S      0:00 qmail-lspawn ./Mailbox
  659 ?        S      0:00 qmail-rspawn
  660 ?        S      0:00 qmail-clean

When I telnet to port 110, I get:

But if I stop the qmail-pop3d and then start it from the command line using
the following command, I can connect:
/usr/bin/tcpserver -v -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup <myhost> \
/usr/local/bin/checkvpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

This is the same thing as I have in the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run
script...

Any ideas why this may not be working as a service?

Also, could I run UW IMAP to provide the POP3 service instead of
qmail-pop3d?

Thanks.
Rehan

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 01:38:03PM -0400, Rehan Zaidi wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> Thanks to the mailing list archives, I've been able to configure qmail-pop3d
> to run under supervise...almost.  I have one remaining problem: I still get
> "Connection refused" when I telnet to port 110.
>
> These are the processes running on the system:
> $ ps -ax | grep qmail
>   160 ?        S      0:00 supervise qmail-send
>   163 ?        S      0:29 supervise qmail-smtpd
>   166 ?        S      0:32 supervise qmail-pop3d
>   167 ?        S      0:00 qmail-send
>   169 ?        S      0:00 /usr/local/bin/multilog t s2500000
> /var/log/qmail/qma
>   657 ?        S      0:00 splogger qmail
>   658 ?        S      0:00 qmail-lspawn ./Mailbox
>   659 ?        S      0:00 qmail-rspawn
>   660 ?        S      0:00 qmail-clean

What is the output of:

$ ps -ax | grep tcp

> When I telnet to port 110, I get:

That tells us that tcpserver probably isn't running which means that
the run script is probably not running or runnable.

> But if I stop the qmail-pop3d and then start it from the command line using
> the following command, I can connect:
> /usr/bin/tcpserver -v -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup <myhost> \
> /usr/local/bin/checkvpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
>
> This is the same thing as I have in the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run
> script...

Is that script readable, executable?

What is the output of:

$ ls -l /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run

Also, rather then showing us the tcpserver command, much more
instructive would be a cat of the run file, so show us the output of:

$ cat /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run

Regards.

> From: "Rehan Zaidi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> This is the same thing as I have in the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run
> script...

What if you run the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run script from the
command line? Maybe there is a syntax error in there? Is there anything in
the logs?

> Also, could I run UW IMAP to provide the POP3 service instead of
> qmail-pop3d?

I *think* so although haven't tried it (only tried IMAP). There is a patch
for UW IMAP that you need to apply to get it to support Maildirs.

Thanks to Mark and David for the quick replies.  The problem was that the
scripts weren't executable.  I assumed that they didn't need to be because
SMTP and send seemed to be working fine, and the permissions for those run
scripts didn't include execution.

Next question... Supervise is using 95+% of the CPU on the system (RedHat
7.0) when qmail is running and 80-90% when it's not.  Is that normal?

Thanks again.
Rehan

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 02:48:03PM -0400, Rehan Zaidi wrote:
> Thanks to Mark and David for the quick replies.  The problem was that the
> scripts weren't executable.  I assumed that they didn't need to be because
> SMTP and send seemed to be working fine, and the permissions for those run
> scripts didn't include execution.

Then they didn't run. Most likely what /is/ running is a script you
started manually. See my thoughts on your next question.

> Next question... Supervise is using 95+% of the CPU on the system (RedHat
> 7.0) when qmail is running and 80-90% when it's not.  Is that normal?

No. But if a script for qmail-smtp, for instance, was already running,
then the "run" script's attempt to start tcpserver is failing
continuously and continuously trying to restart. Check your logs -
you'll probably find a message from tcpserver that it can't bind to port
25 because it's already in use.

Tim

From: Margie Arbon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:  MAPS Zone Changes

The MAPS domain hosting agreement with Vixie Enterprises has expired
and will not be renewed.  Accordingly, domain names ending in the old
MAPS.VIX.COM suffix will shortly become invalid.

As of 30 April 2001, all users of the MAPS RBL<sm> or DUL<sm> must use
MAPS' native servers to continue their service. Please change any
configurations and/or any documentation you are responsible for to the
following zones:

Was: rbl.maps.vix.com  Should be: blackholes.mail-abuse.org
Was: dul.maps.vix.com  Should be: dialups.mail-abuse.org

There are no changes required for the RSS<sm> (relays.mail-abuse.org)
or  RBL+ (rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org).

Please note that RBL+ queries are only permitted via subscription as
are zone transfers of RBL and RBL+.  The MAPS RSS <sm> and MAPS DUL<sm>
will continue to be available for normal queries, but full zone
transfers will be secured and available only by subscription in the
near future.

Please write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for the appropriate
contracts if you are interested in subscribing to these services.

Margie Arbon                   Mail Abuse Prevention System, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://mail-abuse.org

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Adam McKenna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | "No matter how much it changes,
http://flounder.net/publickey.html   |  technology's just a bunch of wires