Hello this is a very elementary question but I had mail lost
due to a wrong configuration of my /var/qmail/control/locals.

Using fetchmail as mail retrieval I used the line:

smtphost localhost
into .fetchmailrc

Then since qmail host has an unknown domain name,
I changed the file /var/qmail/control/defaulthost
from linux.ik5bcu.ampr.org (private unknow name)
to ik5bcu.ampr.org (my AMPRNET domain name)

Messages are now accepted also from servers who require
a FQDN (kernel.vger.edu):
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Connected to 199.183.24.194 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 553 5.4.3 For MAIL FROM address
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> the policy analysis reports DNS error with your
source domain.

But MAILER-DAEMON@qmail now seems to be addressed to
ik5bcu.ampr.org instead to linux.ik5bcu.ampr.org

<ik5bcu@localhost>:
Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

          by fep22-svc.tin.it (InterMail vM.4.01.03.13 201-229-121-113)
          with SMTP

So ignoring where the problem was I changed
.fetchmailrc putting the line:
smtphost linux.ik5bcu.ampr.org
and removing localhost from /var/qmail/control/locals

I did this on the wrong moment:qmail was running with
previous configuration so when I retrieved mail from
my ISP 73 messages have been lost because they was
addressed to localhost.

The final of this long and unclear description is:
what is the right and safe use of localhost
(if any!)
inside /control/locals or /control/rcpthosts?

What a better workaround about DNS problem:
using qmail hostname linux.ik5bcu.ampr.org as defaulthost
without servers complains as vger.kernel.edu?

--
Regards,: Marco Calistri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
gpg key available on http://www.qsl.net/ik5bcu