qmail Digest 23 Apr 2001 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1343

Topics (messages 61081 through 61145):

Re: change envelope from line
        61081 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen

Trying to install qmail
        61082 by: friske.spray.se
        61083 by: Chris Johnson
        61084 by: |nix ZixinG

Trying to install Qmail !!!
        61085 by: friske.spray.se
        61087 by: Vince Vielhaber
        61096 by: Kurth Bemis

Re: How to re-direct mail based on target domain
        61086 by: David Means
        61104 by: Marco Calistri

Re: Qmail Authentication
        61088 by: Mira Tempír
        61126 by: Sajjad Ahmad
        61128 by: hari_bhr
        61129 by: sanjay singh
        61131 by: Sajjad Ahmad
        61132 by: hari_bhr
        61133 by: sanjay singh
        61134 by: sanjay singh
        61135 by: Sajjad Ahmad

(Inget ämne)
        61089 by: Thomas Rasmussen
        61092 by: Karsten W. Rohrbach
        61101 by: Alex Pennace

Re: Qmail SMTP HELP response
        61090 by: Karsten W. Rohrbach
        61091 by: Mira Tempír

mailq has something stuck in it.
        61093 by: Colin A. Bitterfield
        61094 by: Frank Tegtmeyer

Re: Can I force a download on POP
        61095 by: Sunil .

no mail box in maillog
        61097 by: alexus

Backup
        61098 by: Chorvat, Vladimir
        61099 by: Alex Pennace
        61100 by: Chorvat, Vladimir
        61105 by: David Talkington

qmail-pop3d not working?
        61102 by: Steven Katz
        61103 by: Mark Delany
        61108 by: Steven Katz
        61109 by: Mark Delany
        61111 by: Brett Randall
        61112 by: Brett Randall
        61114 by: Steven Katz
        61115 by: Tim Legant
        61116 by: Mark Delany
        61118 by: Rick Updegrove
        61120 by: Steven Katz
        61122 by: Steven Katz
        61123 by: Mark Delany
        61127 by: Steven Katz
        61137 by: Rick Updegrove
        61138 by: Brett Randall
        61143 by: Steven Katz

Message-IDs...
        61106 by: Neil Grant
        61107 by: Alex Pennace

Can I use qmail-pop3d for both mbox and maildir format?
        61110 by: Michael Cheung

vmailmgr treat all correctuser@wrongdomain as system-account user.
        61113 by: Michael Cheung

unsubsribe
        61117 by: Benjie Buenaventura (TS-PH)
        61121 by: Anthony Mo K.C
        61145 by: rom chen

triple bounce
        61119 by: KIM

how to send attaching in qmail using perl
        61124 by: mugundhan
        61140 by: davidu

Re: Feedback about RBLs
        61125 by: Tim

Re: put a whole domain 'on hold'
        61130 by: Milen Petrinski

rblsmtpd more verbose to sender
        61136 by: Robert Sander

tai64nlocal make error under GNU libc6 2.2.2
        61139 by: Jörgen Persson

mailing list software to use with qmail?
        61141 by: Peter Peltonen
        61142 by: Robin S. Socha

Compressed Maildir + IMAP
        61144 by: Mustafa Mahudhawala

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

+ Gustav-Martin Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| <When you call qmail-inject, just replace "$SENDER" on the command
| <line by whatever you want the envelope sender to be.
|
| That what i want, but how can i replace the $SENDER variable?
| How can i change environment variable?
|
| I use in .qmail [...]
| | parse-mail-header | qmail-inject -f "$SENDER" -- "$DEFAULT"
|
| in parse-mail-header, i fix the header and set the from field new.
| The new $SENDER is my from field as parse-mail-header, how can i
| this value put in the $SENDER variable?

Oh dear.  This is no longer a qmail issue; what you need is a course
on unix scripting.  Even though this is now off-topic for the qmail
list, I'll give you a few hints to get you started:

First, you don't say what kind of program parse-mail-header is.  The
complexity of the solution will depend on that.  If it's a reasonably
complete programming language, in which you (say) read in the full
header, then parse and modify it before writing out the modified
header followed by the body, it should be easy enough.  You rewrite
the program so it no longer simply outputs the modified message to
stdout, but instead creates a pipe and invokes qmail-inject itself,
essentially running

  qmail-inject -f whatever-you-want-the-envelope-sender-to-be -- "$DEFAULT"

Here is one (grossly inefficient) way to hack it via a shell script:

#!/bin/sh
SENDER="`parse-mail-header-and-print-out-the-envelope-sender`"
rewind
parse-mail-header | qmail-inject -f "$SENDER" -- "$DEFAULT"

Note the rewind in there.  Since
parse-mail-header-and-print-out-the-envelope-sender must read parts of
the message, stdin must be rewound so parse-mail-header can read the
whole thing.  Since rewind is not a standard unix command, you can
create it yourself from the following C code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
  if (argc>1) {fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s", argv[0]); exit(2);}
  if (lseek(0,0,SEEK_SET)<0) {perror("rewind"); exit(1);}
  return 0;
}

It only remains to name the shell script something like
parse-mail-header-and-inject and put the line

| parse-mail-header-and-inject

in .qmail.  Plus, of course, you must write the script
parse-mail-header-and-print-out-the-envelope-sender.

I will not post any more to the qmail list on this topic.  Feel free
to send me personal mail if this is not clear enough, but I cannot
promise an answer, since my time is limited.

- Harald

I'm trying to install qmail. Reading the install notes I should compile all files. How
do I do that? ./ make-compile.sh doesn't do the trick. Please help asap.

Thomas.

_________________________________________s_p_r_a_y_
Här börjar Internet!
Skaffa gratis e-mail och gratis Internet pĺ http://www.spray.se

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 02:36:04PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm trying to install qmail. Reading the install notes I should compile all
> files. How do I do that? ./ make-compile.sh doesn't do the trick. Please help
> asap.

Did you try typing "make" in the source directory?

Chris

PGP signature

Hi guys, Visit this site. His QMAIL howto is simply the best

http://www.enixus.com.sg/~simbajaj/documents/ascii/qmail-HOWTO

Best Regards
David
From: sanjay singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: sanjay singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Steven Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>    The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
>    rejected by the server. Server Response: '550 relaying to
>    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> prohibited by administrator'. (Account:
>    '[EMAIL PROTECTED]', SMTP Server: 'mail.idma.com', Error Number:
>    0x800ccc79).

I am not an expert, but I don't think that is qmail talking because I have caused
every possible
error every step of the way, so check for yourself.  I think you are running Exim An
Internet mailer
for Unix systems. http://www.exim.org

[root@ns2 /root]# telnet 208.25.75.162 25
Trying 208.25.75.162...
Connected to 208.25.75.162.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 shasta.idma.com ESMTP Exim 3.13 #1 Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:08:04 -0700

Hope that helped

Rick Up

>    The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
>    rejected by the server. Server Response: '550 relaying to
>    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> prohibited by administrator'. (Account:
>    '[EMAIL PROTECTED]', SMTP Server: 'mail.idma.com', Error Number:
>    0x800ccc79).

This error isn't a qmail one. (Try `cd ~/qmail-1.03 && grep
"prohibited by administrator" *'). In fact, the word `administrator'
would appear to display evidence of a lowly MS Winblowz machine
somewhere running an SMTP server, and your DNS settings are directing
mail to that server rather than your nice, shiny, spanking brand new
one. Try pinging mail.idma.com and see what mail server you are REALLY
getting (and maybe try deleting any other mail servers that you
previously had running on your *nix box).

B.
--
"I had a fortune cookie the other day and it said: 'Outlook not so
good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Sure enough, Exim is running, but I didn't realize this would cause
problems. When I try to remove it, I get the following:

# rpm -e exim
error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
        smtpdaemon is needed by fetchmail-5.5.0-2
        smtpdaemon is needed by mutt-1.2.5i-8.

I understand mutt is recommended for Maildirs. Does this mean I'll be
unable to use it?

Steven

where does the mesageID domain  come from...?

this is not whats set in defaultdomain, me or plusdomain

(using lwq setup)

thanks

Neil

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:50:12AM +0100, Neil Grant wrote:
> where does the mesageID domain  come from...?

> this is not whats set in defaultdomain, me or plusdomain

No qmail utility generated that Message-ID; mutt made it and passed it
to qmail-inject/sendmail wrapper/whatever, which does not do anything
to it.

set hostname=whatever is the relevant .muttrc line to customize this.

Hi;
        I move mail system from sendmail to qmail.
so I won't to change the former mbox format.
        But I add a virtualdomain, it seems I have to use maildir format for the
virtualdomain.

        Can I use qmail-pop3d for both mbox and maildir format?

        Thanks inadvance.

Regards;
Michael

Hi;
        I use checkvpw from vmailmgr package for authorization.
        But it treat all login name correctuser@wrongdomain as system-account user.

        How to configure the vmailmgr to give an error for such a situation?

        My situation is:
        my user has system account(also include pop account), and pop account in
virtual domain, and they usually set the same password on these two account.
        so when they login by "user@virtual" and they misspell the virtualdomain
name, they login to system account successfully! And can't recieve the mail
correctlly. And it is hard to realize the problem. So many question occured.

        Thanks inadvance.

Regards;
Michael

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

i encountered this error in my log even if the recepient is existing.

pr 24 00:03:03 mail qmail: 988041783.331385 status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
Apr 24 00:03:03 mail qmail: 988041783.343152 delivery 6: failure:
Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name._(#5.1.1)/
Apr 24 00:03:03 mail qmail: 988041783.345096 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
Apr 24 00:03:03 mail qmail: 988041783.345337 triple bounce: discarding
bounce/197163
Apr 24 00:03:03 mail qmail: 988041783.345498 end msg 197163

what is my problem here?

hi all,

iam using a perl script to send mails via qmail using qmail-inject.

my code looks like this:

$mailprog = "/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject";
open(QMAIL,"|$mailprog -f mugund\@intercept-india.com");
print QMAIL "From: mugund\@intercept-india.com\n";
print QMAIL "To: recip\@recip.com\n";
print QMAIL "Subject: subject\n";
print QMAIL "Content-type: text/html\n";
print QMAIL "hi.this is a test\n";
close(QMAIL);
it works fine. now, i want to know how to make this script send attachments.
iam not knowing how to send attachments using this script in perl. what are the changes which i will have to make in this script in order to send attachments.

pls do give me a solution ASAP.

thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
S.Mugundhan,
Tech Solutions,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would recommend that if you have mutt installed you just use mutt from the command line, it is one for the few MUA's that can work from the command line without user intervention.

read the mutt manpage.

-davidu

[...]

Do you have a version that doesn't require TXT records on the RBL
database?  Thanks,

Tim

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 11:48:00PM +0200, Markus Stumpf wrote:
> I have made modifications to rblsmtpd, qmail-smtpd and wrote a mess822
> package that allows you to not reject but tag messages with infos about
> RBLs the sending IP is in and with the mess822 package users can decide
> which messages to
>     - reject (with bouncesaying)
>     - forward to another account for review
> in their .qmail files.
>
> In case you're interested, have a look (start) at
>     http://www.lamer.de/maex/creative/software/ucspi-tcp/
>
>       \Maex
>
> --
> SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
> Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299
> Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
> asleep yet.

This way you'll leave the mail in the queue and after 7 days it will be
bounced. Instead you can put in the domain's qmail-default path to maildir
and when the client pays, use maildirtosmtp to send them the mail. I think
this should solve the problem, I haven't tried it.

Milen

> man dot-qmail:
>
> SAFE QMAIL EDITING
>           Incoming messages can arrive at any moment.  If you want to
>           safely edit your .qmail file, first set the sticky bit on
>           your home directory:
>
>                chmod +t $HOME
>
>           qmail-local will temporarily defer delivery of any message
>           to you if your home directory is sticky (or group-writable
>           or other-writable, which should never happen).  Make sure to
>
>                chmod -t $HOME
>
>           when you are done!  It's a good idea to test your new .qmail
>           file as follows:
>
>                qmail-local -n $USER ~ $USER '' '' '' '' ./Mailbox
>
> I have no idea if mail will follow the usual timeout schedule if it's
being
> deferred because of this.
>
> HTH,
>
> J.
>
> From: "Mike K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Is there a way that I could set a whole domain to a 'hold' status,
> > so all of the mail waits for them, until the hold is removed?

Hi!

As we are getting more and more complaints from "normal" users trying
to send us emails but being rejected because their mailserver is in
MAPS or ORBS, we did set up a webpage with a little explanation and
made rblsmtpd's return error message pointing to that webpage.

The output of rblsmtpd is now something like this:

553 Open relay - see
http://www.epigenomics.com/bounced.php3?reason=http://www.orbs.org/verify.php3?address=12.11.158.146

The patch is based on the RSS patch for rblsmtpd and just inserts an
arbitrary string in front of the "http://"; found in most TXT records
returned by MAPS or ORBS. The string is passed to rblsmtpd via a new
argument -w .

You can find the patch on ftp://ftp.epigenomics.org/pub/oss/ucspi-tcp/

Greetings
--
Robert Sander
Computer Scientist                                       Epigenomics AG

List,
I don't know how well know this is but I couldn't find anything about it
in the archives.

tai64nlocal.c doesn't compile under GNU libc6 2.2.2 due to

  #include <sys/time.h>

It's included since tai64nlocal wants localtime but there's some libc
changes (bug or feature?) since 2.2.1 which explains the error.

Replacing the preprocessor with

  #include <time.h>

seems to do the trick :)

Jörgen

Could someone recommend me a good mailing list software that works fine with
qmail and has a web based admin interface?

First I thought about mailman but after reading it's README.QMAIL I am a  bit
in doubt, as it seems to have so many issues regarding Qmail.

Regards,
Peter

* Peter Peltonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010423 04:43]:

You'vegot to be kidding. http://ezmlm.org/ and
http://cr.yp.to/ezmlm.html

> First I thought about mailman but after reading it's README.QMAIL I am a  bit
> in doubt, as it seems to have so many issues regarding Qmail.

I've used MailMan. It stinks. It will offer you web administration
alright. Exclusively. Very annoying. I find the following combination of
software extremely satisfying: http://mail.socha.net/about/
--
Robin S. Socha
http://my.gnus.org/ - To boldly frobnicate what no newbie has grokked before.

Hello,
Just a small problem, Not directly related with qmail .....
I would like to know whether I can keep Mail files in maildir in compressed
format.
I Subscribe to a lot of technical High Volume mailing list (Qmail been one)
And would like the
lists to be shared by other users.

IMAP is but the obvious choice.
It also a fact that as these emails are plain text they give extreme high
compression ratios.
There is some patch available for qmail that does compression/decompression
on
the fly but this works only with POP.

And that still means every one has to download the mails on his / her
machine.

So one can realize the obvious advantages of using Compression with IMAP.

Does any one know of or has tried something similiar ???
Does Courier-IMAP support any such thing ??

Any help or references will be highly appreciated.

Thanx & Regards
Mustafa M

VeetVision Communications (P) Ltd.
Bungalow RH-3, Moghul Gardens, 411001 Pune, India
Tel. 91-20-6113056, 6051597, 6051598 / Fax 91-20-6050652