On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 07:01:57PM +0200, Mads E Eilertsen wrote:

> > From: System Anti-Virus Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> > A virus was discovered in an e-mail addressed to you. We have
> > rejected the infected mail so your computer will not be infected.
>
> Sitting here with no virus but lots of warning messages it occurs
> to me that the latter is at least as disturbing as the first.
> Please consider doing something with your AV-software.

A better statement to say would be: "don't dick with your AV-software, the
author knew what he was doing!!!"

That's *MY* Qmail-Scanner software that generated that message.
Unfortunately that site has *REWRITTEN IT* so that it doesn't act as I
intended. I went through a *LOT* of effort to stop Qmail-Scanner being like
all those bl**dy commercial scanners that spam mailing-lists when they find
viruses - mine specifically doesn't send AV messages to mailing-lists.

I have vented by displeasure at the site owner. I am not happy.

[one of the drawbacks of Open Source of course. Each user can rewrite it as
they please]

So now in an attempt to make a silk purse from a sow's ear; for those
interested in a Email AV solution that won't spam mailing-lists with such
messages, take a look at http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/ ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Unix/Special Projects, Trimble NZ
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417