>   I backed up the contents of a few Maildirs and now I'd like to put
  >   these messages into the new Maildirs. What's the best way to do this?
  >   Is it safe to simply copy them in?

In practice it's often safe to copy them in. You don't risk
overwriting anything because of the unique filenames, for example.

There is the theoretical possibility of leaving partially truncated
messages in the maildir (if someone trips over the power cord in the
middle of your copying or your program crashes). Or if a POP server
accesses the mailbox while mesages are being written the user might
not see the whole message.

It's far better to restore the messages into the tmp subdirectory
(or create your own temporary directory for this) and then mv them
into whatever directory they go in (cur or new).

Gjermund