qmail Digest 30 Apr 2001 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 1350

Topics (messages 61636 through 61668):

qmail-inject
        61636 by: C P
        61637 by: Frank Tegtmeyer

Which IMAP do you prefer with qmail?
        61638 by: q question
        61639 by: Robin S. Socha

trouble with qmail
        61640 by: Cameron Hanover
        61642 by: RC
        61650 by: Al Lipscomb
        61653 by: RC
        61654 by: Chris Johnson
        61656 by: RC
        61660 by: Tim Legant

Is qmail "best reserved for mailing list server purposes only"?
        61641 by: q question
        61643 by: Russ Allbery
        61645 by: John P
        61646 by: Jason Brooke
        61655 by: q question
        61664 by: q question

how do I ?
        61644 by: Pupeno

Where does the mail goes?
        61647 by: Marco Calistri
        61648 by: Alex Pennace
        61651 by: Marco Calistri
        61661 by: Tim Legant

How can I get qmail to log extra information?
        61649 by: Khai Doan

lesoleil.com unexpected MAILER-DAEMON?
        61652 by: Marco Calistri

How can qmail scale?
        61657 by: Foo Ji-Haw
        61658 by: Daniel Duclos
        61659 by: japc.co.sapo.pt

log smtp ip connection
        61662 by: lemoninsz
        61663 by: Tim Legant

Re: mailserver, can traceroute, cannot make SMTP connection
        61665 by: postmaster.circlecom.co.id

POP3 Login
        61666 by: Aaron Goldblatt

Return messages from postmaster
        61667 by: Angel Durán
        61668 by: davidu

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi all,

i need to operate qmail-inject in a way so that it asks for subject on
command prompt. Is this possible ???
please help

regds,
pratibha

---

C P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i need to operate qmail-inject in a way so that it asks for subject on
> command prompt. Is this possible ???

Write a wrapper.
For example (not tested):

#!/bin/bash
#
read -p "Subject: "
mailsubj "$REPLY" $*

Regards, Frank

I'm curious, not to really try to create a survey, but of those of you on
this list using qmail with IMAP, which IMAP are you using?

Thanks in advance!

* q question <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010429 16:38]:

Your parents must hate you.

> I'm curious, not to really try to create a survey, but of those of you on
> this list using qmail with IMAP, which IMAP are you using?

Courier - what else? Cyrus is nice but uses proprietary formats noone
really needs and UW IMAP is brought to you by the security Gods that
brohgt you pine. Mbwhahaha... http://mail.socha.net/about/ for a setup
that makes me and my users equally happy.
--
Robin S. Socha
http://my.gnus.org/ - To boldly frobnicate what no newbie has grokked before.

okee dokee.  i'm having quite a time trying to get qmail to work right.

for a while i was at least able to send mail from my box [running
openbsd2.8] and receive it on my box, or send mail from it, and
receive elsewhere, but not send from elsewhere and receive on it.

now i can't send or receive anything, and i'm not sure what I did to
change that.  it looks like all the appropriate apps are running [4
or so, i think the documentation said], but nothing is getting
delivered.  i occassionally get an email bounced back if i send from
elsewhere saying 'couldnt deliver for 7 days'.

i just found the qmail/queue/mess folder, and it looks like there's a
bunch of mail in there that's been waiting to be delivered for ages
[probably around 2 weeks or more].

the only thing i knew to check was rcpthosts, and it's got localhost
and the domain of my box listed there.

i followed all the instructions best i could, moved around mailboxes
and such.  the only thing that i couldn't do had to do with removing
sendmail, since something it told me to move just wasn't there.

any help anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.
--

=----------------------------------------------=
                       -.c.-

My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 05:43:36PM -0400, RC wrote:
> okee dokee.  i'm having quite a time trying to get qmail to work right.
>
> for a while i was at least able to send mail from my box [running
> openbsd2.8] and receive it on my box, or send mail from it, and
> receive elsewhere, but not send from elsewhere and receive on it.
>

>From another box try and telnet to the smtp port ('telnet yourhost.yourdomain.com
>smtp')
and see what happens.

If you get a connection you can try some smtp commands to see what is going on
with incoming mail.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net

well, that part of the documentation finally made sense, so here's
what i got doing the commands in the doc

[chanover@ltg-pmac2 chanover]$ telnet <mymachine>.edu smtp
Trying 141.213.36.39...
Connected to <mymachine>.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 <mymachine>.edu ESMTP
helo dude
250 <mymachine>.edu
mail jesus@<mymachine>.edu
250 ok
rcpt jesus@<mymachine>.edu
250 ok
data
354 go ahead
subject: this is a test

this is just a test
.
250 ok 988594037 qp 466
quit
221 <mymachine>.edu
Connection closed by foreign host.

and, of course, nothing was delivered.  sure enough, it's sitting in
~qmail/queue/mess/20/

this us just a thought, and i'm going to seem incredibly stupid if
this is the answer:
the file permissions for my mailbox are:
-rw-------  1 jesus  jesus     3384 Apr 20 10:50 Mailbox
looks like the smtpd is running as qmaild:
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  qmaild
/home/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env$

please tell me it just doesn't have write permission to my mailbox.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 08:37:34PM -0400, RC wrote:
> and, of course, nothing was delivered.  sure enough, it's sitting in
> ~qmail/queue/mess/20/
>
> this us just a thought, and i'm going to seem incredibly stupid if
> this is the answer:
> the file permissions for my mailbox are:
> -rw-------  1 jesus  jesus     3384 Apr 20 10:50 Mailbox
> looks like the smtpd is running as qmaild:
> smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  qmaild
> /home/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env$

No, that's not the problem.

Is qmail-send running? What do the logs say? What does the script that you use
to start qmail look like?

Chris

PGP signature

not sure.  ps -x doesn't show it, but it doesn't show any of the
other ones, and the only place the install docs said to make a start
script was in inetd.conf, which is the line pasted below.
if i try and start wmail-send manually, i get this:

alert: cannot start: hath the daemon spawn no fire?

oh yeah, and /etc/rc, forgot about that one
csh -cf '/home/qmail/rc &'

damn, maybe there's something wrong with that, then.  as root i did
./rc in /home/qmail/ and all of a sudden i have new mail

so, any idea what's wrong with that line?  :)

oh dear lord.  now you know i'm a newbie.

that line up there, well, it was after "exit 0".  duh.  if anybody
wants to smack me upside the head, go for it.
*sigh*
things work now.  all's well that ends well.  time to start making
some email lists.

/c

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 05:25:29PM -0400, Cameron Hanover wrote:
> okee dokee.  i'm having quite a time trying to get qmail to work right.

[snip...]

> any help anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Please post the output of 'qmail-showctl' (don't edit it!) and the
unedited contents of the script(s) you use to start qmail. Please also
tell us what instructions you followed to install and configure qmail;
examples would be Life With Qmail, Adam McKenna's HOWTO or the INSTALL
instructions that came with qmail.

Thanks,

Tim

One of the reasons I was interested in qmail was the security aspect of it.
I've been impressed that noone has won the reward that is available from Dan
Bernstein. This is probably the most negative comment I have seen about
qmail while surfing for info:

http://www.orbs.org/otherresources.html

"Qmail admins: Qmail's current version is secure by default, but earlier
versions were insecure. Most admins know enough to follow the instructions
for securing it before putting qmail into service, however it usually drops
ORBS test messages checking for UUCP pathing vulnerabilities - "! pathing" -
into the admin mailbox. As ! is a standard network addressing indicator,
this can only be charitably described as yet another Qmail bug. Qmail is
extremely network unfriendly and generates denial of service attacks on
other mailservers in its enthusiasm to deliver as many messages as possible
in a short period of time. For this reason it is best reserved for mailing
list server purposes only."

Do you all agree with this opinion that qmail is "best reserved for mailing
list server purposes only"?

q question <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One of the reasons I was interested in qmail was the security aspect of
> it. I've been impressed that noone has won the reward that is available
> from Dan Bernstein. This is probably the most negative comment I have
> seen about qmail while surfing for info:

That's because the ORBS folks made completely false statements, were
called on it, and don't like being wrong.

> http://www.orbs.org/otherresources.html

> "Qmail admins: Qmail's current version is secure by default, but earlier
> versions were insecure.

False.

> Most admins know enough to follow the instructions for securing it
> before putting qmail into service, however it usually drops ORBS test
> messages checking for UUCP pathing vulnerabilities - "! pathing" -
> into the admin mailbox.

Rather, it tries to bounce them and the bounce bounces as undeliverable.
The solution is for ORBS to stop probing systems from which no spam has
ever been sent and for which there is no reason to suspect a lack of
security.

> As ! is a standard network addressing indicator,

False.

> Qmail is extremely network unfriendly and generates denial of service
> attacks on other mailservers in its enthusiasm to deliver as many
> messages as possible in a short period of time.

False.  qmail's default configuration is incapable of doing that except
possibly to a pathetically undersized e-mail server that would have
problems with all sorts of normal deliveries.

> For this reason it is best reserved for mailing list server purposes
> only."

> Do you all agree with this opinion that qmail is "best reserved for
> mailing list server purposes only"?

No.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

From: q question <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Qmail is
> extremely network unfriendly and generates denial of service attacks on
> other mailservers in its enthusiasm to deliver as many messages as
possible
> in a short period of time. For this reason it is best reserved for mailing
> list server purposes only."

Surely if it did generate denial of service attacks [by making lots of
deliveries in a short period of time], then the one thing qmail /shouldn't/
be used for is a mailing list server? I mean, what else does a listserver
do??!

Clearly someone there has a deep dislike of qmail!

Regards
John

> "Qmail admins: Qmail's current version is secure by default, but earlier
> versions were insecure. Most admins know enough to follow the instructions
> for securing it before putting qmail into service, however it usually
drops
> ORBS test messages checking for UUCP pathing vulnerabilities - "!
pathing" -
> into the admin mailbox. As ! is a standard network addressing indicator,
> this can only be charitably described as yet another Qmail bug. Qmail is
> extremely network unfriendly and generates denial of service attacks on
> other mailservers in its enthusiasm to deliver as many messages as
possible
> in a short period of time. For this reason it is best reserved for mailing
> list server purposes only."

At the top of that page it says:

'Everything on this page is based on information supplied to ORBS by server
admins and MTA authors. Opinions are just that - opinions.'

Wow, server admins and MTA authors - that's sure to be a page filled with
friendly, good-natured, level-headed comments.

I guess that's why a page that initially holds a server admin responsible
for his mail server when it comes to being an open relay, later contains a
paragraph that shifts responsibility from the administrator to qmail by
claiming it generates denial of service attacks by sending email too fast.

As for the comments regarding '! pathing' - maybe the author should petition
to have his specification included in the RFC so his bug claim would
actually have a leg to stand on. Maybe we should email qmail's author and
have him re-write it to work around the bugs in the various mail clients
while he's fixing that bug for ORBS test messages.

> Do you all agree with this opinion that qmail is "best reserved for
mailing
> list server purposes only"?

I don't. I really don't see the distinction between sending email to list
subscribers, and sending email to regular mail recipients as far as the
target server is concerned. If it can't do it's job (deliver email) it
shouldn't really be in use as an MTA.

jason

Hi Russ, John, and Jason,

I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question about the ORBS
opinion. I felt I should check it out before installing qmail and
unexpectedly becoming an infamous generator of denial of service attacks!

Russ, I appreciated hearing some of the background issues in communication
difficulties between the ORBS and qmail groups.

John, I started to shrug it off when I read it because I had the exact same
thought immediately that you expressed, which was why would an mta that
supposedly "generates denial of service attacks" be especially suited to
being a mailing list server? It seems to me that it would be especially
UNsuitable for that task.

Jason, I agree with you that there is no real distinction between list
subscribers and regular mail recipients. You can get an equally high volume
either way, and not all lists restrict the members to text only emails. Some
lists promote the html email, but these lists are of course usually not
technical lists.

Thanks for the feedback!

-----

(I'm getting the error messages from the qmail list about soleil as well.)

One last note on this thread. While rereading the FAQ, I came across this
which indicates qmail has brakes to keep from generating denial of service
attacks.

http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/efficiency.html

Does qmail back off from dead hosts?
Answer: Yes. qmail has three backoff features:

Each message is automatically retried on a quadratic schedule, with longer
and longer intervals between delivery attempts.
If a remote host does not respond to two connection attempts (separated by
at least two minutes with no intervening successful connections), qmail
automatically leaves the host alone for an hour. At the end of the hour it
``slow-starts,'' allowing one connection through to see whether the host is
up.
Some mailers opportunistically bombard a host with deferred messages as soon
as the host comes back online. qmail does not do this. Each message waits
until the appropriate retry time.

Thank you.
--
Pupeno: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pupeno.com.ar

If my $HOME doesn't contains any dot qmail or even it is empty,
where the incoming mail is stored?

I download 54 messages from my ISP pop server using fetchmail
without having a dot qmail into my $HOME.
Session has been completed regularly but
I don't find any messages...are they been lost?

--
Regards,: Marco Calistri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
gpg key available on http://www.qsl.net/ik5bcu

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:39:53AM +0200, Marco Calistri wrote:
> If my $HOME doesn't contains any dot qmail or even it is empty,
> where the incoming mail is stored?
>
> I download 54 messages from my ISP pop server using fetchmail
> without having a dot qmail into my $HOME.
> Session has been completed regularly but
> I don't find any messages...are they been lost?

Check ~/Mailbox or ~/Maildir/. Otherwise follow the default delivery
rule that was passed to qmail-start. Check the logs for further clues.

On 29-Apr-2001 Alex Pennace wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:39:53AM +0200, Marco Calistri wrote:
>> If my $HOME doesn't contains any dot qmail or even it is empty,
>> where the incoming mail is stored?
>>
>> I download 54 messages from my ISP pop server using fetchmail
>> without having a dot qmail into my $HOME.
>> Session has been completed regularly but
>> I don't find any messages...are they been lost?
>
> Check ~/Mailbox or ~/Maildir/. Otherwise follow the default delivery
> rule that was passed to qmail-start. Check the logs for further clues.

Hi Alex the rule was ./Mailbox but I was testing procmail to filter
some incoming mailing-lists so I removed ./Mailbox from my $HOME/.qmail
my /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery contains ./Mailbox so I supposed
that the rule was already there to inform qmail about delivery.

Unluckily I can't find any messages into /Mailbox.

TKS
Marco

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:40:15AM +0200, Marco Calistri wrote:
> If my $HOME doesn't contains any dot qmail or even it is empty,
> where the incoming mail is stored?

Does the file exist, or not? If it doesn't exist, qmail follows the
default delivery instructions provided on the 'qmail-start' command
line. If it does exist but has no delivery instructions, i.e. no
forwards, no commands, no mailboxes or maildirs, but only comments,
qmail throws the mail away.

Tim

When examining the qmail log file, I could not find the "subject:" line.  Is
there a way to get qmail to log extra information (such as subject, the
first few words of the message, filename of any attachment, etc...  Please
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khai Doan

Hello I'm getting several [EMAIL PROTECTED]
unexpected messages whenever I send normal requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

wonder if postmaster at lesoleil.com is subscribed here to check why this
is happening.

Here a copy of such message:
XF-Source: ik5bcu
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:24:09 -0400
From: Mailer-Daemon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: NDN: RE: NDN: Where does the mail goes?

Sorry. Your message could not be delivered to:

admin (Multiple names were found at the remote site. Please be more
specific.)

--
Regards,: Marco Calistri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
gpg key available on http://www.qsl.net/ik5bcu
Xfmail 1.4.7p2 on linux RedHat 7.1 kernel-2.4.2
--
A boy can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the importance
of turning around three times before lying down.

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up qmail to support a 200,000 user domain. Can someone pls
recommend a feasible way to do this? I don't think adding 200,000 records in
/etc/passwd is such a good idea.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Foo Ji-Haw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up qmail to support a 200,000 user domain. Can someone pls
> recommend a feasible way to do this? I don't think adding 200,000 records in
> /etc/passwd is such a good idea.

You can use the Inter7 solutions. It's free software and works just fine,
as far as I know.
You may be interested in vopmail, that supports a lot of features,
Check it out: http://inter7.com/vpopmail/

"Features:
                Automates all qmail file modifications into
                documented command line programs.

                Uses only 1 entry in /etc/passwd - everything
                runs under a single UID/GID
                support for named and IP based virtual
                domains.

                NFS safe, dynamic user mailbox directory
                creation for 10 to 10 million users using a "fill in
                ballenced 3 level tree".

                Configurable logging based on real world
                admin's comments and requirements.

                Support for Oracle, Sybase, Mysql, LDAP,
                /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and default cdb
                authentication storage.

                Delivers directly to Maildir for use with
                qmail-pop3d, .qmail files or any other Maildir
                program.

                No need to have hundreds of .qmail files for
                virtual domains. Each domain gets it's own
                directory under vpopmail user with a separate
                password file for each domain.

                Documented command line programs that can
                be used in scripts or for remote admin.
                Documented C library for all vpopmail features
                and transactions.
"

For others softwares fro inter7: http://inter7.com/freesoftware/

regards

daniduc

Daniel Lobato Duclos - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.cybershark.net
Money Isn't Our God - Integrity Will Free Our Soul (Sepultura - CutThroat)

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 09:30:07AM +0800, Foo Ji-Haw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up qmail to support a 200,000 user domain. Can someone pls
> recommend a feasible way to do this? I don't think adding 200,000 records in
> /etc/passwd is such a good idea.

200.000 in /etc/passwd ? How would/could you do that?

A very good wait to deal with such an amount of email accounts is with an ldap backend.

Take a look at http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap.

And, if imap is needed, you should try Courier-IMAP (http://www.courier-mta.org).

--
Jose Celestino  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Every morning I read the obituaries; if my name's not there,

PGP signature

Hi folks:

        the default installation of qmail does not log the smtp ip connection,is there
a way to make qmail log the ip address of smtp connection in /var/log/maillog file

                    ÖÂ
Àñ£¡

            lemoninsz
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 11:43:42AM +0800, lemoninsz wrote:
> the default installation of qmail does not log the smtp ip
> connection,is there a way to make qmail log the ip address of smtp
> connection in /var/log/maillog file

Use tcpserver (http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html) instead of inetd.

Tim

When I telnet to the host, the connection just hang. For example, I telnet
to mta.excite.com 25, it just hang, no response but I can receive mail from
their site.

I hope I could get more idea on analyzing why the problem occured. Yes, I
know that the problem seemed to be on my side, but what caused the problem,
that I don't know.

I hope someone can give my more idea about this.

Thanks!

Chrisanthy Carlane

PPM Department
PT. Circlecom Nusantara Indonesia
Jakarta Stock Exchange Building, Tower I, Penthouse #31 fl.
Jl. Jend. Sudirman kav.53-43
Jakarta 12190

phone:+62-21-5155555
fax:+62-21-5151672

email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm experiencing a curious issue with qmail-popup/pop3d.

qmail-popup is being called by tcpserver.  It even works.

POP3 server:  wndrgrl.goldblatt.net  208.190.130.82/27
Other interface: 10.1.1.10

The 208.190.130.82 works quickly, efficiently, as expected, but in
public.  This interface is a 10 megabit NIC.

The 10.1.1.10 interface is a totally separate 100 megabit LAN that I use to
run my private services, like printer sharing, NFS, all the stuff I need
but don't want exposed to the public.

When I try to retrieve mail via POP3 on the PUBLIC interface, all goes well.

When I try to retrieve mail via POP3 on the PRIVATE interface, it works,
but where the public side takes about two seconds to complete an empty
transaction, the private one takes as much as 60 seconds to authenticate
(Eudora hangs on "Logging in to server," which is its way of saying
login/password).  If Eudora doesn't get sick of waiting it EVENTUALLY
works, but slowly.

qmail-popup is invoked as follows:

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
wndrgrl.goldblatt.net /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

Per the documentation in various places, the FQDN is
wndrgrl.goldblatt.net.  Do I need -two- instances of qmail-popup -- one for
each interface?  Or does tcpserver bind to both interfaces at once?

My gut reaction is that tcpserver binds to both interfaces, based on the
fact that retrieval from the private interface does work, albeit slowly.

Pointers toward a resolution or where to start looking, including FAQs and
docs I've missed, are welcome.

Thank you.

age

Hello,  I'm using vpopmail, and I have multiple domains in the same host.

When sending a message to a non existent user in that domains, the sender never gets
a return message indicating the problem, but the postmaster receives a copy of the original
message.

Here is the log generated:

Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.448040 new msg 306265
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.448323 info msg 306265: bytes 2013 from
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 10412 uid 502
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.531300 starting delivery 214170: msg 30
6265 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.531559 status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.531736 starting delivery 214171: msg 30
6265 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.531886 status: local 2/10 remote 0/20
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.571043 delivery 214170: success: did_1+
0+0/
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.571304 status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.604037 delivery 214171: success: POP_us
er_does_not_exist,_but_will_deliver_to_/u1/vpopmail/domains/virtualdomain.com/postm
aster/did_0+0+1/
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.604305 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
Apr 30 08:52:01 myhost qmail: 988613521.604449 end msg 306265

Thanks in advance.

postmaster has been set as a catch-all account.

If [EMAIL PROTECTED] doesn't exist, postmaster will get it.(postmaster gets *@domain.com, minus existing users)  If you want it to bounce, simply turn off the catch-all for postmaster and only [EMAIL PROTECTED] email will be delivered.

-davidu