What Charles said is totally correct, however I do not understand:

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:34:04AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Peter Peltonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Unfortunately I do not control my PTR records so I have to do the dns name
> > change with CNAME.

What do - in this context - have PTR records to do with CNAMEs??
Just to make it clear, a MX record MAY NOT point to a CNAME nor to an A
record, it always has to be a FQDN (which points to an A record).
Speaking bind config it is invalid to have:

blubb           IN      MX      100  1.2.3.4

blubb           IN      MX      100  mail
mail            IN      CNAME   exa
exa             IN      A       1.2.3.4

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299