Hi - I have qmail setup 1.03 - Solaris 8 recent patch cluster - Netra X1. I
have roaming users ( sales guys ) that need to auth thru smtp ( qmail ) to
send messages. I can't seem to get it to go. This is just Outlook 2000
 DELL win 2000 )on a laptop and the server for testing purposes. I have
installed auth patch and djb's checkpasswd program - I upgrade to the
SMTP_AUTH patch .30 and was trying cmd5checkpw - same result. I need a
little bit more info on how to implement. I have followed the instructions
but things are still a little unclear. Do I need qmail remote or  a pop
server. ( They only want to send mail thru this server - they  will dial
there isp and then auth thru the qmail server. I am also using tcpserver to
run qmail.

I had some instructions on how to test the server with the AUTH cmd through
checkpasswd ( I only tested plain at the time) which I can no longer find -
it work as outlines and put me in my home dir. Since I have upgraded I need
to retest the server. Right now under AUTH plain it gives me out of memory -
I don't know that I'm still testing this procedure right. I would like to
test LOGIN but don't know how or what to return when it returns it's string.

qmail_smtp_auth 0.30
cmd5checkpd 0.22 or checkpasswd
qmail 1.03

tcpserver smtp  startup
#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`/usr/xpg4/bin/id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`/usr/xpg4/bin/id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
        -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
me.me.com \
        /bin/cmd5checkpw /bin/true  smtpd 3 2>&1

I have followed the outgoing instruction for Outlook for the client but it
won't let me auth.

question  - what should be in inet.conf if I'm using tcpserver?

Thanks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please send all flames to PG&E and EL PASO Natural GAS( the weasels! )