On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 01:02:47PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 08:17:47AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > > I don't understand this.  I thought that in a normal setup, tcpserver forked
> > > qmail-popup, which exec's checkpassword
> >
> > Not quite.  qmail-popup forks and exec's checkpassword, in order that if
> > checkpassword fails qmail-popup can report an -ERR message instead of
> > just disconnecting silently.
>
> Thanks for the correction, Bruce -- makes much more sense.  However, it still
> doesn't explain why the other fellows' ntcheckpassword hangs around
> indefinitely even after authentication success, and then causes the POP3
> connection to reset after 60 seconds.

The ps report that I recall seeing showed only qmail-popup and
qmail-pop3d running.  The qmail-popup command-line of course includes
ntcheckpassword.  Now, if ntcheckpassword itself is hanging around, it's
badly broken, as the checkpassword interface requires that the
subprogram be exec'd and not forked.
--
Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://em.ca/~bruceg/ http://untroubled.org/
OpenPGP key: 699980E8 / D0B7 C8DD 365D A395 29DA  2E2A E96F B2DC 6999 80E8

PGP signature