qmail Digest 13 May 2001 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 1363

Topics (messages 62348 through 62363):

Re: config for stand-alone box
        62348 by: john gennard
        62349 by: john gennard
        62351 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: reason for problem found: connection reset after 1 minute
        62350 by: tonix (Antonio Nati)

Re: notification of new email whenever user logs in on the shell
        62352 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: HELP - newbie
        62353 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Newbies vs. arrogant experts (was: Newbie with tcpserver)
        62354 by: Chris Garrigues
        62358 by: Russell Nelson

badmailfrom
        62355 by: audit
        62356 by: Johan Almqvist

qmail and procbox
        62357 by: El Chupacabra

qmail does not handle timezones properly?
        62359 by: Patrick Starrenburg
        62362 by: Peter van Dijk
        62363 by: Frank Tegtmeyer

Resolution: Qmail and Request Tracker
        62360 by: Chris Jackman

Handling high volume lists (was: Newbies vs. arrogant experts)
        62361 by: Robin S. Socha

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, 11 May 2001, you wrote:
> john gennard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've installed v.1.03 from  a src.deb package onto Debian Potato.
> > There is a large volume of literature which I've spent some days
> > reading and can't find explanations for a number of points (entirely
> > due to my semi- computer literate state).
>
> Please do not take this as a flame, insult, or pointless reply, but if (by
> your own admission) you are only semi-literate in computers, what are you
> doing installing a Unix MTA?

Charles, I certainly do not take any form of offence from your
reply - quite the opposite, in fact, I'm grateful you have
taken the time out to respond.

A couple of years ago, after reaching 70, I got a computer and following
a frustrating few months with Windoze switched to Linux which lets me
control things when, of course, I understand what I'm doing. Now, for
good or ill, I'm 'hooked' and want to learn 'all about it' (a forlorn hope as
each time I understand some aspect, another vast vista  of knowledge
yet to be acquired appears before me). In short, its become a hobby.

Sendmail seems offered on most distros, and during reading about
email (using it has not presented me with problems - I've been using
kmail), a very strong case seems to be made for qmail as an
alternative. Nowhere have I seen any advice that the inexperienced
should avoid it.  Spam is starting to annoy me and so I decided to
look at fetchmail, procmail, mutt and qmail as a 'package' which
might enable me to do something about it.

Most 'advisors' on serious newsgroups seem to be highly qualified
and experienced individuals who good-naturedly greatly assist  those
like me. - they do not of course have to do so.  In 'this day and age'
this is unusual.  At the same time, I do wonder if those brought up
in times when some degree of computer literacy is the norm can
understand how the likes of myself struggle learning 'alien'
concepts in a completely foreign language, and without the
possibility of discussing things face to face with tutors, peers and
other users.  Manuals are written by persons who know their subject
and believe those reading will appreciate what they say -
this is proper and completely understandable but for us is
frustrating (I doubt a brain surgeon can even countenance that
there exist people who don't know how to stop a simple haemorrhage).
Then the 'sublime irony', when we install and use, with help, that
covered by a man page  and again read the page we say 'well it's
quite clear what it meant - it's obvious'.

Didn't mean to 'go on so'. Thank you very much for your response and
the helpful information you have imparted. Replies like yours are
specific to points raised, whereas general literature tends to be
too widely based.  My gratitude - but I'm still going to
try to go ahead even if eventually I decide a simpler approach is
more expedient in my circumstances - any knowledge I gain is likely
to be a 'plus'.

Regards,    John.

On Fri, 11 May 2001, you wrote:
> * john gennard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010511 15:25]:
> > I connect to an ISP by dialling with a modem and have just two user
> > accounts.
>
> So you need serialmail. Get and install it. There are many hints on how
> to do this in this list's archive.

I hadn't heard of this - although I'm subscribed to the list, I have
not yet perused the archives I'll do so now.

> > I've never really understood the concept of a FQDN and so
> > can't with confidence create a /var/qmail/control file.
>
> Your box has a name, consisting of your domain (which you don't have)
> and its local hostname. You can register a domain for a dial-up system
> at dyndns.org or something.

This is something I meant to have a look at sometime, but keep
overlooking. Not sure if it will be an option for me, but it's worth
seeing what is involved

> > Hypothetically,   my ISP is heaven.com, I call my box eden and have
> > users adam and  eve, what is my FQDN? (I log in as say garden - so
> > outsiders email me as [EMAIL PROTECTED]).
>
> That is irrelevant. You just want your From address to be correct.
>
> > I fail to understand exactly what part alias plays in the setup.  At a
> > minimum, I should create three - root, postmaster and mailer-daemon,
> > but do I need any for my user accounts and why?
>
> Aliases are email addresses without local users. Mail to root is
> internally forwarded to a user you put in ~alias/.qmail-root, for
> example.
>
> > With the simple setup I have should I bother with the dot-forward,
> > daemontools and fastforward packages?
>
> Depends on where you come from and where you want to go. dot-forward and
> fastforward should be unnecessary, but daemontools and ucspi-tcp are
> very clever.
>
> > I know these are very simple questions, but could someone give
> > a simple explanation to help me along. What I would ideally like is
> > a write up for a minimal  setup for the type of installation I have -
> > it seems none exists or else I can't find it.
>
> Ummmm... Just install qmail, ucspi-tcp, daemontools and serialmail and
> follow the instructions step by set. Really. :-)

Thank you for your response - every bit of extra knowledge is
welcome.                Grateful,    John.

john gennard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, after reaching 70, I got a computer and following
> a frustrating few months with Windoze switched to Linux which lets me
> control things when, of course, I understand what I'm doing. Now, for
> good or ill, I'm 'hooked' and want to learn 'all about it' (a forlorn hope as
> each time I understand some aspect, another vast vista  of knowledge
> yet to be acquired appears before me). In short, its become a hobby.

Okay, I completely understand.  By the way, it's a pleasure to run into
someone who's not afraid of technology and not under 30 :).  I'll see if I
can't make a few recommendations.

> Sendmail seems offered on most distros,

It seems to be mostly inertia, tradition, and the path of least resistance
that causes this.

> Nowhere have I seen any advice that the inexperienced should avoid [running
> a full MTA]

Well, that wasn't my biggest concern -- it's the fact that running a full MTA
on a dialup connection has its share of problems.  For one thing, SMTP is
really designed as a 'push' protocol, and if your machine isn't connected
24/7, it can be kind of pointless.  ETRN has been shoved in to try to work
around this, but it's not an elegant solution.  Machines with sporadic net
connections really should get their mail through a 'pull' protocol, like POP3
or IMAP.

> Spam is starting to annoy me and so I decided to look at fetchmail,
> procmail, mutt and qmail as a 'package' which might enable me to do
> something about it.

Well, it would work.  However, I think there are better combinations of
software.  For sending mail, I would recommend you use Bruce Guenter's
nullmailer; it's a "dumb" relay-only MTA.  Bruce has written a lot of the
commonly-used addons for qmail, and nullmailer's design is influenced heavily
by qmail's, although of course its simpler.  You just plug the address of your
ISP's smarthost into a control file, set a couple of other things, and it
works.  Then mutt can use nullmailer's /usr/sbin/sendmail wrapper to send
mail.

To retrieve mail, I don't recommend fetchmail -- it's too problematic,
although many of its worst design bugs are eliminated by not doing delivery by
SMTP re-injection.  I would suggest you try my own replacement, getmail,
instead.  As for procmail, I don't use it either, but one of getmail's users
wrote "procbox" to do basic procmail-like processing after retrieval with
getmail.

Check out http://untroubled.org/ for Bruce's software.

Charles

Just my 5 ITL contribute.

Reading README file of checkpasswordnt (from tar downloaded from qmail
site), I see:

What I read in www.qmail.org about checkpassword is different:

 > qmail-popup and qmail-pop3d are glued together by a program called
checkpassword.
 > It's run by qmail-popup, reads the username and password handed to the
POP3 daemon,
 > looks them up in /etc/passwd, verifies them, switches to the
username/home directory,
 > and runs pop3d. At least that's what the standard one does. Some
alternatives are listed below.

If what I read it true, checkpasswordnt is not good for qmail-pop3d.

Tonino

alexus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> first if i'll put it in /etc/profile will it work for all users?

If you're using bash, /etc/bashrc is more appropriate.  /etc/profile works
with most other shells that I know of.

> and another question how do i notify user when e-mail arriving while he's on
> shell?

You'll have to check the manual for your shell for this.  I just run my Python
checker script whenever I want to see if I've got mail.  At around a thousand
messages a day, it would be pointless to have my shell notify me every time a
message came in :).

Charles

Pavel Sorejs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I Using qmail with MySQL and trying to send mail. If i send mail then i
> don't receive that user doesn't exist but the mail isnt't delivered to his
> mailbox. What can be wrong ??

Look in your logs.  qmail logs information about the eventual disposition of
_every_ message.  If you're not receiving bounces/double-bounces, you've
configured something incorrectly.

Charles

Well said in both these messages.  I really hope that some of the
self-appointed experts on this list take your example of civil behavior.

I've been on this list now since late 1996 and in recent times, it's become
almost intolerable with all the flamage.  Somehow on other lists people manage
to co-exist with newbies without having to extract a pound of flesh with every
question.  I suspect that if this list had been this rude in 1996, I would
have stuck with sendmail.

As it is, I consider unsubscribing several times a week (and it's not because
of the newbies).

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature

Chris Garrigues writes:
 > As it is, I consider unsubscribing several times a week (and it's not because
 > of the newbies).

I send qmail list traffic into its own mailbox, and read it once a
day.  It's kind of handy, because I can see the questions which don't
get answered, and sometimes I answer them if I feel so led.

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/handhelds/
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Reply-To: back to the list!

* audit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010512 19:39]:
> I was wondering if I can put just a domain in the
> /var/qmail/control/badmailfrom file

Yes. You have to start it with an @.

@yahoo.com

will block all mail where the envelope sender address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Note that you are blocking envelope sender addresses,
not sending hosts.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
http://www.almqvist.net/johan/qmail/

PGP signature

Hi,

I use qmail with maildirs format, and I would like to use procbox
(together with getmail) to filter my messages.

My question is: can I use procbox with maildirs format ?

Thanks.

--
------
El Chupacabra

Dear All

I have a query regarding the way qmail (?incorrectly?) handles time zones. I
have done various tests on this, the relevant portion of header of one test
email below. Essentially I sent a mail out from a client on my internal
network to qmail on my gateway machine, which forwarded to external web
based email service which has an autoforward to send mail to my network
e-mail address.

I sent the mail from the client at 19:22 GMT +0200 (western Europe summer
time) it arrived back to me about a minute later and displays on my client
MUA as being received at **23:23** hours, i.e. four hours in the future! Of
course you know the next thing I am going to say... before I installed qmail
I have never seen or had this problem. The client PC clock said 17:22
(+0200) correct time, the Linux box said 17:22 and is setup correctly with
TZ = GMT +0200. What's even funnier is when I send another email out from
the same client (at 18:00 hours +0200) to two different external mail
accounts I have one which is auto forwarded to my Linux box and qmail
[smtpd] and one which is picked up from an ISP POP mailbox (not through
qmail). Both emails arrive in the same timeframe, the one picked up from the
ISP POP mailbox shows a sent time of 18:00 the other delivered via qmail
shows a sent time of 22:00! The MUA stamps the message with the correct
Date: field value. So I have the same email in my inbox with times four
hours apart! and the qmail processed one four hours in the future.

I have already read previous (heated) discussions on this topic on the list
archive but could not discern a clear answer apart from some people saying
qmail works as designed - why? It seems to be the only mail server that does
so. Why does qmail use -0000 when the PC it is running on is setup as GMT
+0200? It clearly is causing a problem. Is there any configuration option
which can be called to have qmail respect the time zone of the computer it
is running on? Where and how would this be called for both qmail [POST] and
SMTP daemons?

Thanks in advance

Patrick Starrenburg

From: "xxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Test sent 19:22 GMT +0200
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 19:22:30 +0200

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 08:19:27AM +0200, Patrick Starrenburg wrote:
[snip]
> I have already read previous (heated) discussions on this topic on the list
> archive but could not discern a clear answer apart from some people saying
> qmail works as designed - why? It seems to be the only mail server that does
> so. Why does qmail use -0000 when the PC it is running on is setup as GMT
> +0200? It clearly is causing a problem. Is there any configuration option
> which can be called to have qmail respect the time zone of the computer it
> is running on? Where and how would this be called for both qmail [POST] and
> SMTP daemons?

qmail uses -0000 because it is the receiving MUA's task to display the
date in the format the user desires. If your MUA is unable to do so,
complain to the MUA author.

qmail uses -0000 because only if all headers use the same timezone,
reliable debugging is possible.

qmail uses -0000 because timezone support adds a lot of code bloat
that makes no sense in an MTA. Your sending client should add a date
header.

Greetz, Peter.

"Patrick Starrenburg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> people saying qmail works as designed - why?

Because it makes debugging easier.

> It seems to be the only mail server that does so.

So what? Is that a problem?

> Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 19:22:30 +0200

I have never seen this behaviour. I suspect there is something wrong
with your Linux setup:

> problem. The client PC clock said 17:22 (+0200) correct time, the
> Linux box said 17:22 and is setup correctly with TZ = GMT
> +0200.

If it says 17:22, it is *not* configured to GMT +0200. Try to set
Timezone CET. It should say 19:22 then. This two hour offset
corresponds to the four hour offset of qmail.

Regards, Frank

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Charles Cazabon wrote:

> Chris Jackman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> > We noticed that there is no delivery 2: success message, nor is there
> > ever for any other email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
> > If we kill all the alias processes first, and then kill the rt process (78014
> >  above) that is doing  "perl -T /var/rt/bin/rtmux.pl rt-mailgate tickets
> > correspond", we see this in the qmail logs:
> >
> > 2001-05-06 05:03:26.769179500 delivery 2: deferral: qmail-local_crashed./
>
> It would seem at first glance that your Perl script never finishes; it blocks
> on something, or goes into an endless loop.

Resolution:
One of my associates had rebuilt perl with threads.  That's what was
causing this problem.  We rebuilt perl w/o threads, and it works w/o a
problem.

cj

* Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010512 20:57]:
> Chris Garrigues writes:

>> As it is, I consider unsubscribing several times a week (and it's
>> not because of the newbies).

> I send qmail list traffic into its own mailbox, and read it once a
> day.  It's kind of handy, because I can see the questions which don't
> get answered, and sometimes I answer them if I feel so led.

There are several ways of dealing with high volume lists (which in the
Microsoft Outlook (Express) age equals "high amount of lusers messing with
stuff they should never be exposed to"). I've been getting between 500 and
2500 messages (mail and news) per day for years, and I've found that there
is only one tool that does the job effectively: Gnus http://gnus.org/.·

Why?
====

There are several problems with high volume lists. In no particular
order:

· lusers not reading the minimum amount of documentation;

· broken software (why did you not cut the "(was:" (which should have been
  "(Was:" in the first place) from your quote?). Examples:

  - removing References: headers in order to, well, what? break threads
    (a concept alien to the morons in Redmond, but extremely useful - if
    you have a good newsreader, you know what I'm talking about);

  - encouraging *wrong* behaviour like "message on top, full quote
    below" (eh, bandwidth is unlimited, right?), excessive signatures
    (yes, 4 lines *is* enough, no, I will *never* ring you up or visit
    you) without sigdashes (yes, that's ^-- $, and yes, it *does* make
    sense, because various tools can cut your sig from replies or
    (even better) make it invisible if it sucks), sending HTML (what
    is this - the web?) or VCards (as I said, I will *not* phone or
    visit you, and no, I'm not interested in your birthday, favourite
    sexual deviation or daughter's name either (if she's willing and
    blonde, you can send me some bikini shots, though);

· off topic threads (like this one);

· idiots and trolls (usually mutually interchangable, but stupid trolls
  are even more annoying (greetings to Michael T. Babcock while we're
  at it (remember kids: no lame flame without at least one ad hominem
  attack)));

· dupes (like, I am on this list and only a complete retard would send
  me a Cc: (which makes approx. 31 retards per month which, in return,
  makes me wonder when the prices for anti-personnel ammo will finally
  drop)).

Solutions:
==========

· Encourage people who are obviously lost to adapt a behaviour fitting
  for a technical environment: tell them to read and follow
  http://learn.to/edit_messgages/ and the links therein;

· Tell them why using Outlook and similar "programs" is not only bad
  for themselves but also destroys threads, which means archives, which
  means shared knowledge databases;

· Use software that lives up to the challenge of a Microsoft-luser
  infested environment: Gnus.

  - Gnus introduces the concept of adaptive scoring. Killfiles are for
    lusers, real men score: each article is assigned a value for "From:,
    Subject:, References:, quote/text ratio, etc. and the summary for
    the group the article is filtered into is sorted according to these
    values: Gods first, lusers last.

  - Gnus automagically de-moronizes messages (while reading and in