On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:20:36AM +0300, Mikko Hänninen wrote:
> David Talkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Sun, 20 May 2001:
> > There's really nothing special about such a configuration; fetchmail
> > just delivers mail to whoever is listening on 25.  As long as qmail
> > will accept deliveries for localhost, it works great.  I do this on my
> > laptop.
>
> There is one gotcha, you have to enable the "forcecr" option in your
> .fetchmail configuration, if you're using delivery via localhost port
> 25.  This is documented as a "qmail quirk" (or something) in the
> fetchmail documentation, but it *is* documented at least...  Without
> this setting, qmail will reject the emails due to the CR/LF line ending
> issue.

Hmm. The fetchmail man page seems to say it quite well:

       "The  `forcecr' option controls whether lines terminated by
       LF only are  given  CRLF  termination  before  forwarding.
       Strictly  speaking  RFC821  requires  this,  but  few MTAs
       enforce the requirement it so this option is normally  off
       (only  one  such MTA, qmail, is in significant use at time
       of writing)."

FWIW. This problem cannot occur if the pop server is qmail-pop3d. I've
used fetchmail on a variety of non-qmail pop servers and have never
needed forcecr. I hasten to add that that doesn't mean that Mikko is
wrong, just that the you probably don't need this option excepting
when you fetch from dodgy pop servers!

On a related note, it seems that fetcmail has made some effort to
support qmail in a variety of ways, including the -Q option which is
specifically designed to extract envelope addresses from Delivered-To:
addresses created via virtualdomains (See the fetchmail -Q option).

Regards.