Charles Olds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My goal is:
>     Install qmail to work with virtual users. (i.e. No account in
> /etc/passwd.  No /home/user.  Mail delivered to /var/spool/mail.)

You're limiting your options here by insisting on mbox format and
/var/spool/mail.  Much of the better software intended to be used with qmail
uses Maildir format, and storage outside of /var/spool/mail .

> I have downloaded and installed qmail, tcpserver, qmailadmin, etc..
> Everything looks good and runs except qmail-pop3d does not work with
> virtual users.  When trying to retrieve mail I get the message "No
> /HOME/$USER directory...
>
> Please recommend a POP3 server that will work with qmail and allow mail
> to be retrieved from /var/spool/mail.

I'd personally recommend vmailmgr for virtual domain setups.  However, it does
necessitate Maildir storage (well, mostly) and at least one system account per
virtual domain.

Charles