Dean Staff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd like to know if it's possible to edit the /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-
> default file, so instead of it having a username or email address to
> deliver messages for undefined users to, you have a defined path to a
> specific mailbox. ie:  /home/bubba/Maildir/
>
> The reason I ask is because we provide and internet fax service, and
> we recieve messages addressed to "a-fax-number"@domain.com
> Obviously I can setup a user account for every possible fax number,
> so we deliver anything undefined to 1 mailbox. THe problem is that in
> the default setup qmail changes the Delivered To: address to the user
> listed in the /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-default file. And if I use the
> virtualdomain feature it prepends the username defined for that
> domain to the Delivered To: field.
>
> Niether option is particularly useful, as we need to see the fax
> number unmodified.

Perhaps you could try this:

-make the domain virtual.  For instance, "dom.net:virtuser1" in
virtualdomains.
-have .qmail files in ~virtuser1 to handle the "real" users, if any:
    ~virtuser1/.qmail-joe contains "/home/virtuser1/Mail/joe/" or similar.
    This could be a vmailmgr domain perhaps?
-have ~virtuser1/.qmail-default to handle all the fax numbers.
    You can then refer to $DEFAULT in a script to get the original mail
    address (fax number).  `man qmail-command` and `man dot-qmail` for
    details.

Charles