Hi I want to be sure about this

I am trying to create a server to do just mailing.
I installed the qmail and right now I'm trying to optimize it so it can handle huge
amount of mailing which will be handle by ezmlm.

My first question is about qmail-smtpd and qmail-qmtpd

1. what's the difference and which do you perfer.

second question?
2. the faq states it like this
tcpserver -u 7770 -g 2108 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
and to raise the limit to 400 use
tcpserver -c 400

so will the final line be

tcpserver -u 7770 -g 2108 -c 400 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

now my little program looks like this /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run

#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
 /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
 -u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp rblsmtpd /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

I got this from qmail how to

So should I just add ... -p -x -c 400 /etc ...
Like that or does someone know for sure.

Again, I am trying to build a machine to do nothing used for mailing lists.
If anyone built a mailer and optimized it, can you share some info on which way is
the best way to go. patches, or tuning any info would be nice. I read just about the
whole qmail page but too much info and seems like there's many ways to confirgure this.

qmail-smtpd and qmail-qmtpd
can someone give me a quick run down on which is better for hosting huge lists.
and why I should use one against the other??

Now, about syslog
my /var/qmail/rc looks like this
#!/bin/sh

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start '|dot-forward .forward
|preline procmail'

but want to use this

"Answer: Install daemontools (http://pobox.com/~djb/daemontools.html).
Make a /var/log/qmail directory, owned by qmaill, mode 2700("What does this
mean??(mode 2700). Do

   qmail-start ./Mailbox /usr/local/bin/accustamp \
   | setuser qmaill /usr/local/bin/cyclog /var/log/qmail &

in /var/qmail/rc.

If you are logging tcpserver connections, make a /var/log/smtpd
directory, and use cyclog /var/log/smtpd for tcpserver. You shouldn't
run several copies of cyclog with the same log directory.

By default, cyclog keeps 10 automatically rotated log files, each
containing up to 100KB of log data. To keep 20 files with 1MB each, use
cyclog -s 1000000 -n 20."

I already have tcpserver running but don't get this cyclog stuff.
I have /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd directory already.

Anyways, if all these make sense to someone please help me.

I have pIII 600mhz, 128mb ram, 9G scsi server under linux 7.0
would really like this server to handle 10 million emails per day(little
exaggeration). Is this possible. I'm also using djbdns and using local cache. and want
to implement cdb database somehow.

--

http://newbieportal.com