On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:21:57AM +1000, Grant wrote:
> I accidentally deleted an email and couldn't find it on the qmail
> archives. The question is:
>
> What do I need to do for a backup mx record to store emails until the
> first mx comes back. I put the domain in rcpthosts, but not in
> locals, as I want it to store them until the first mx comes back. Was
> there anything else I needed to do, because it is bouncing the
> emails at the moment, giving a looping error? Sorry for the broad
> question, but hopefully the person who answered this for me last time will
> know.

Requirements for a proper secondary MX:

1. a primary MX, with a better preference (lower #)
2. a secondary MX, with a worse preference (higher #)
3. domain name in rcpthosts but not locals on the secondary.

That's literally it. This should not cause any 'loop' issues -- can you
please post the bounce, and the output of qmail-showctl from both
servers, plus the results of either 'dig mx yourdomain.example' or
'dnsmx yourdomain.example', where yourdomain.example is the _real name_
of the domain in question.
--
Greg White