Mark Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > The qmail server is setup with the same name as the DNS entry for the
> > > routable ip. As qmail runs on DNS entries, I would assume   this would
> > > make everything ok. It doesn't. When I telnet to the localhost on  port
> > > 25, I get a connection and it just sits there. No response, ever.

> > This looks good (thanks for including it).  What would help would be a
> > copy of  the script you're using to start qmail-smtpd.

> Here is the script I'm using (straight out of "Life with Qmail"):
[...]
>     echo -n "Starting qmail: svscan"
>     cd /var/qmail/supervise
>     nohup env - PATH="$PATH" svscan &
>     echo $! > /var/run/svscan.pid
>     echo "."
>     ;;

Okay.  This script starts svscan.  svscan will run another set of scripts to
actually start the various qmail services.  You'll have a service directory
(probably /service, but possibly elsewhere) containing symlinks to other
directories.  Look for one called "smtpd" or "qmail-smtpd".  Inside that
directory will be a script named "run".  We now need the contents of that
script.

> I haven't gotten a handle on qmail logging yet. Where are the log files
> stored? I look at /var/log/qmail and the files that are there contain these
> lines:
>
> from /var/log/qmail/current
>
> @400000003b1518da292b19c4 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

Yes, that's one line from the logs of qmail-send (the main qmail process,
which actually is responsible for the delivery of messages).

> from /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current
>
> @400000003b1518da3494b75c tcpserver: status: 0/0

And that is indeed the log from qmail-smtpd (well, from its tcpserver
instance, anyway).  Were there any error messages in this log?

Charles