[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In a weak moment I promised a charity that I would look into how
>difficult it would be for them to have their own web based email system.
>I guess this shouldn't be too hard but as I'm not at all technical I'm
>hoping you people can help me tell them what they need in terms of
>software.

It may not be "too hard", but it won't be easy. Or quick. Or
maintenance free.

There's no such thing as a free web-based e-mail system. There's going
to be a substantial investment of time, money, or both--even if free
software is used exclusively. And we haven't even considered h/w
costs.

>4) Cheap! I told them that it could most likely be done entirely with
>open source software.

Cheap is relative. A "turnkey" commercial implementation of such a
system might cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. A "cheap" homebrewed
version might only cost tens of thousands.

>Would qmail be a good base for this system?

Sure.

>Which front end do you suggest?

I haven't evaluated them, and I don't even know which would meet your
needs.

-Dave