"Nate Pinchot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I apologize if this question has already been answered on this mailing list,
>but I definately did not see it in the faq.

No problem. Sometimes it's not obvious that a FAQ applies to one's
situation. What you need is either a virtual domain or a virtual
user. The relevant FAQ is:

  http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/incominghost.html#virtual

>I have this situation.
>user1 has a system account.
>when mail comes for [EMAIL PROTECTED] I would like it to be delivered locally as
>it is now.

So keep "a.com" as a local domain.

>when mail comes for [EMAIL PROTECTED] I would like it to be forwarded to a user
>who doesn't have an account on my system. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Is this possible and if so how do I go about doing it?

If the only address you want to accept for "b.com" is "user1", then
create a virtual user by adding the following to
control/virtualdomains:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:alias-b.com

And create ~alias/.qmail-b:com-user1 containing:

  &[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you want to handle lots of addresses for "b.com" and you want to
designate a local user, say "joe", to manage the virtual domain, put
this in virtualdomains instead:

  b.com:joe-b.com

And "joe" can create various ~/.qmail-b:com-* files to handle mail to
"b.com", e.g.:

  .qmail-b:com-user1 for [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .qmail-b:com-info for [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .qmail-b:com-default to catch all "b.com" mail not caught by a more
      specific .mail file

After modifying virtualdomains, send qmail-send a HUP signal to tell
it to read it. You'll also need to add "b.com" to rcpthosts, but NOT
to locals.

-Dave