Charles:

I believe your points are valid.  But I'm just stuborn, I suppose :)

So stuborn as a matter of fact, that I patched qmail-smptd this weekend
to read a new control file which I called ipaddrallowed.  In which I can
put things like 192.168. or a full IP addr.  If the source address of
the client (as found via 'remoteip') matches those in the file, then the
connect/relay is allowed.  That way, I can have only my domain in
rcpthosts, but allow my other clients access.  Since I'm on a private
network and behind a firewall, I don't have to worry about spoofed
source addresses.  As a matter of fact, I configured email access for my
son today while we were at my office (he's outta school and doesn't have
camp this week -- oh joy!)  Anyway, all I did was add the a.b.c.d
address of the machine he was using in ipaddrallow and presto, he was
style'n!

;-)

David