Quoth "Bill Andersen":
> OK, I hate to go back "on list" with this, but since I got about
> 30 replies, it's easier to go back to the list then to reply to each
> of you.  THANKS for all the replies though.
>
> Almost all the replies were "did you set up links to qmail's sendmail
> wrapper"... Yes!  I've had qmail running for 6 months without any
> problems.  Followed LWQ to the letter and have since re-verified the
> links are in place...
>
> [bill@mail bill]$ cd /usr/lib
> [bill@mail lib]$ ls -l sendmail
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Jun  3 11:25 sendmail ->
> /var/qmail/b
> in/sendmail
> [bill@mail lib]$ cd /usr/sbin
> [bill@mail sbin]$ ls -l sendmail
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Jun  3 11:25 sendmail ->
> /var/qmail/b
> in/sendmail
>
> I even did the following:
>
> 1) Stopped qmail and removed the symlinks
> 2) Installed sendmail (from RPM)
> 3) Did a complete install (./configure <blah blah>, make, make install) for
>    both PHP and Apache (per their instructions)
> 4) Uninstalled sendmail using RPM
> 5) Re-create the symlinks to "qmail's sendmail"
> 6) Restarted qmail (actually restared the machine, qmail's working)
>
> STILL, get the error: "mail() is not supported in the PHP build"
>
> The only thing I haven't tried is the suggestion from Michael Geier below.
> Nothing personal Michael, but Hell, I don't want to have to start from
> scratch... surely I don't need to re-install Linux!
>
> Anybody else?
>
> Bill
>
> (OK, back to "off list" mode!)

Hi, I've been using a PHP build from the source RPM on my box for a while
without any problems, though admittedly I haven't been doing anything that
would use the mail() function, so I might actually have the same problem
you do, I just don't know.

Of course, my telling you that helps you not at all, so here's my
suggestion:

(1) Test to see if the mail() function works with sendmail installed. I
know that involves some work, but maybe it's just broken in the version of
PHP you have.

(2) If you've done (1) and found that mail() works, leave sendmail
installed, but just delete all of the sendmail binaries (so nothing can be
run) and put the symlinks back, etc. That way, all of the sendmail
libraries are still there and hopefully PHP will stop complaining.

Admittedly, this is an ugly solution, but it *might* work if you can't fix
it any other way.

--
J.