On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:00:35AM -0500, Virginia Chism wrote:
> Until I get this mess fixed, please cc responses to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sorry, but it is the only way I can receive email right now.
>
> I seem to have done something to break my qmail.  Yesterday afternoon, I
> added a virtual user in /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains and put his
> forwarding address in alias/.qmail-garnette-monte and added his domain to
> rcpthosts then restarted.  I did not notice at the time (because I left work
> right after that), but I have not received ANY email since I did that.  We
> have a UNIX box running BSDi 4.0, QMail, Apache and FP.
>
> This morning I did a 'tail -f /var/log/maillog' and found tons of bounce
> messages going out and the following messages about incoming mail:
>
> Jun  7 09:57:54 midnightsun qmail: 991925874.483380 starting delivery 434:
> msg 2
> 77962 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Jun  7 09:57:54 midnightsun qmail: 991925874.490779 status: local 0/10
> remote 1/
> 20
> Jun  7 09:57:54 midnightsun qmail: 991925874.510962 delivery 434: failure:
> Sorry
> ._Although_I'm_listed_as_a_best-preference_MX_or_A_for_that_host,/it_isn't_i
> n_my
> _control/locals_file,_so_I_don't_treat_it_as_local._(#5.4.6)/

>From this information, and the information you've provided below, it
looks to me that you probably did something like this:

echo "example.com:example.com" > /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains

I doubt that this is what you wanted... see below.

> I cehecked control/locals and found my main server,
> 'midnightsun.chismtrail.com' so I added just plain 'chismtrail.com' in case
> that might be the problem, even though it has been working like that just
> fine in the past.  It did not help.  Now I am getting the following
> messages:
SNIP logs...

> There is a [EMAIL PROTECTED], in
>
> /usr/var/vpopmail/users

SNIP listing.

>From this alone, it appears that chismtrail.com was a virtual domain,
and should never have been in 'locals'. Add it back to virtualdomains,
and put 'locals' back the way it was.

Please let us know if I nailed it first try...;)

--
Greg White
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent