I've written a filter in Python that scans for Received: lines and
checks IP addresses found therein against a configurable list of
RBL type services.  It is in beta stages and definately under
development, but it is very functional (doesn't crash for me
anymore).

http://www.fibrespeed.net/code/spamcheck.tar.gz

It uses threads to look up multiple IPs simultaneously and adds
a configurable header after applicable Received: lines in the form:
X-SPAM-<service>: <notice from TXT>
This allows the user to delete or re-file messages based on these
headers instead of just having the mail deleted by their ISP.

Its GPL'd and I'd appreciate any constructive feedback you might
have as well as patches from the Python gurus out there.

--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed