Clemens Hermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> in a small network I want to have one qmail machine where all the clients
> can send their mails via smtp. This machine then will forward the mails via
> smtp to the smarthost of my provider.  If I got it rigt, much of a "normal"
> qmail installation is not needed because no local delivery is necessary, the
> mails are just piped through the server.  There is one problem I have with
> mini-qmail: My Provider does not support qmtp. Can I just replace the
> according passages with smtp or will this lead into trouble?

Sorry, I've never set up a mini-qmail -- in those circumstances, I normally
use Bruce Guenter's nullmailer.

> Second: mini-qmail has no queue. What happens if more mails arrive than the
> server is able to deliver if there is no way to queue?

If delivery fails, qmail returns an appropriate error code.  The program doing
the sending has to check whether the send was successful or not.

You're probably better off to just install a full qmail setup, have no local
domains (or just exclude any local users), and use smtproutes to send all mail
to your ISP's smarthost.

Charles