Stephen Bosch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Each of those messages has a different qmail-queue PID.  From this, you
> > can deduce that the sender is connecting to your server, sending the
> > message, and somehow disconnecting or misinterpreting qmail's response to
> > the DATA command.  The sender thinks the delivery failed, so it tries
> > again, and again, ad infinitum.
> >
> > Capture one of the messages' SMTP conversation using recordio.  That
> > should tell you exactly how the sender's MTA is broken.  You can then
> > inform postmaster at that domain.
>
> What's the syntax for that? Does it come with a man page?

Yes.  It's in Dan's ucspi-tcp package, along with tcpserver et al.  Basically
you stick it in-between tcpserver and the program which tcpserver would
normally run.  However, this is assuming these messages are arriving via
qmail-smtpd.  Based on your comments below, I'm not sure that's the case.

> > Or block their IP address from connecting to your SMTP daemon.  You
> > choice.
>
> That would mean I would be blocking myself - that "from" information
> indicates a local user.

Okay, I couldn't determine that from the log snippet; I thought it was an SMTP
injection.  It might still be, if it's a program which normally sends mail via
SMTP instead of /usr/sbin/sendmail or friends.  Can you identify the
user/process which is sending this mail?

> Is this really what's happening? I am beginning to worry that something
> is majorly misconfigured here... but the server works perfectly! All the
> mail that is sent arrives, nobody has problems sending out...

Do you by chance have a mail loop created by a bogus entry in smtproutes?

> *bangs head*
>
> So... if the queue is empty, this log stuff indicates that something is
> repeatedly trying to send. If it's a local user, then... could it be a
> broken application? Oh boy.

It could be a broken application.  I haven't seen enough details to tell.

Charles