Lou Hevly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This seems weird to me, since all the other daemontools don't need to
> be 'initialized' by hitting a return before giving them input.

You confuse STDIN with command line parameters. These are basic
concepts in Unix and even in MS-DOS from the earliest versions.

> while (<DATA>) {
>      my $human_readable = qx!/usr/local/bin/tai64nlocal $_!
> }
> Any suggestions as to how this could be done?

Avoid the external program generally and incorporate the (simple)
conversion into your Perl program.
I you really wan the external program do something like that:

open (DATA, "-| tai64nlocal < $datafile") or die ("...");
while (<DATA>) {
  my $human_readable = $_;

Frank