On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:03:20AM -0700, mjt mjt wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have this problem delivering mail to certain hosts
> that have multiple MX entries.  Other than that
> everything is working fine.  Let me explain the
> scenario more.
>
> I have mail being sent to some user at server A and
> server B.  Server A and B have 3 MX entries in their
> lookup.  The first two entries in these are higher in
> preference but are unavailable to the net traffic (for
> some reason ).  What i think is happening is that
> qmail is trying to connect to the first MX entry and
> for some reason the server sends SMTP serrvice not
> available to qmail at my end.  So the mail is put in
> queue and then qmail retries the first server in MX
> entry.

If the recieving server answers on SMTP, AFAIK qmail is _obligated_ to
talk to it -- if it cannot accept mail, it should not accept
connections. Whether or not this is a requirement, this is the way qmail
behaves. The recieving servers are being silly -- if you're too busy to
accept connections, why open a connection to say so??

> I have found a work-around in the sense that i entered
> smtproute individually for thse two servers A and B.
> It is working now, but i was wondering if anyone had
> more insight on why qmail was not looking up the other
> 3 mx records.

See above -- qmail is looking up all three, and talking to the best
preference. What is the receiving MTA for this domain? I'd like to know
for future reference -- it's behaving quite badly...

--
Greg White